HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:17 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
Hi Nic

My problem is the opposite of yours. My chain rings (DS obviously) are too close to the frame causing the same issue as the OP.

My set up is SISL2 (but with TA chain rings, not the Spidering) on a Cannondale Evo Black Inc. Installed as per instructions, 2.5mm spacer on DS, larger spacer on NDS.

I'm thinking of adding more spacers to the DS but concerned that will mess with the overall length of the spindle and put the Q factor slightly out.

How can it be that we have the opposite problem?

Cheers

GJ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:18 pm
Posts: 727
Location: Austin
I think your problem is the result of the spider and ring. Can you measure the Q both right and left from frame centerline? I assume you are using the 109 spindle since you mention the spacers.

mine is 76mm DS and 71mm NDS to the outside face where the pedal meets the arm

Gearjunkie wrote:
Hi Nic

My problem is the opposite of yours. My chain rings (DS obviously) are too close to the frame causing the same issue as the OP.

My set up is SISL2 (but with TA chain rings, not the Spidering) on a Cannondale Evo Black Inc. Installed as per instructions, 2.5mm spacer on DS, larger spacer on NDS.

I'm thinking of adding more spacers to the DS but concerned that will mess with the overall length of the spindle and put the Q factor slightly out.

How can it be that we have the opposite problem?

Cheers

GJ

_________________
www.crumptoncycles.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:18 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:06 pm
Posts: 171
It's a 'design feature' of the frame ;). If you move the spacer to the NDS you'll likely get the chain rubbing on the inside of the outer ring when using the inner ring and the outer sprockets of the cassette. The best solution I found was to try and optimise the set-up by trial and error, firstly to identify how many of the thin spacers are needed overall to get the correct wavy washer compression, and then to determine exactly how many of these spacers are needed on each side to get the best compromise with respect to chain-line vs ring rub.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:24 pm
Posts: 1524
Location: Houston, Texas
Alternately (but more expensive) get a set of the SISL2 crank arms which I think are slightly asymmetric to address such issues.

_________________
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:18 pm
Posts: 727
Location: Austin
Svetty wrote:
It's a 'design feature' of the frame ;). If you move the spacer to the NDS you'll likely get the chain rubbing on the inside of the outer ring when using the inner ring and the outer sprockets of the cassette. The best solution I found was to try and optimise the set-up by trial and error, firstly to identify how many of the thin spacers are needed overall to get the correct wavy washer compression, and then to determine exactly how many of these spacers are needed on each side to get the best compromise with respect to chain-line vs ring rub.


yes, already know this as a solution. just wanted to know if that really is what they intended. apparently so. the chainline sucks out of the box.

_________________
www.crumptoncycles.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:18 pm
Posts: 727
Location: Austin
thats is exactly what we are talking about.

ms6073 wrote:
Alternately (but more expensive) get a set of the SISL2 crank arms which I think are slightly asymmetric to address such issues.

_________________
www.crumptoncycles.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:06 pm
Posts: 171
Quote:
yes, already know this as a solution. just wanted to know if that really is what they intended. apparently so. the chainline sucks out of the box.


Seemingly so. The change in spindle design does move the chainline relative to the older one. This [speculation mode] might be associated with Shimano reverting to a narrower space between rings after the wider spacing with 7900 and 6700 [/speculation mode] and the consequential effect on ring rub referred to above.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:17 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
nicrump wrote:
I think your problem is the result of the spider and ring. Can you measure the Q both right and left from frame centerline? I assume you are using the 109 spindle since you mention the spacers.

mine is 76mm DS and 71mm NDS to the outside face where the pedal meets the arm

Gearjunkie wrote:
Hi Nic

My problem is the opposite of yours. My chain rings (DS obviously) are too close to the frame causing the same issue as the OP.

My set up is SISL2 (but with TA chain rings, not the Spidering) on a Cannondale Evo Black Inc. Installed as per instructions, 2.5mm spacer on DS, larger spacer on NDS.

I'm thinking of adding more spacers to the DS but concerned that will mess with the overall length of the spindle and put the Q factor slightly out.

How can it be that we have the opposite problem?

Cheers

GJ



Hi

I get 75.2mm DS and 73.6mm NDS but (even though those numbers are to the tenth of a mm) my measuring might not be too accurate, I found it hard to be sure I was measuring accurately to the centre line and the crank arm face.

Cheers
GJ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:50 am 
Offline
Shop Owner

Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:02 am
Posts: 1960
Location: NoVA/DC
Hollowgram cranks used to have a chainline that was too far to the left compared to everyone else. It was way out of spec. That is why you had to do so much fiddling to get SRMs to clear frames. Never had to fiddle with other SRM cranks. Then PF30 came out, the lip on the cups takes yet more room away, someone at Cannondale woke up and decided go even everything out. At the same time they got rid of the pointless sloulder on the spindle, all it did was complicate matters (mainly when you're trying to do things beyond what was intended). So 109 puts the chainline at 43.5mm, just like everyone else. With that, no PF30 specific lockring, no PF30 specific spider, nop SRM specific anything is ever needed. It is how it should have been all along.
@Svetty,
I'm not aware of Shimano reverting back to closer chainring placement with 11sp. Sure seems like there's a wide sloping shelf on the left side of the big ring. I haven't measured though. Can you confirm?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:18 pm
Posts: 48
Can anyone tell me the width of the NDS spacer please for BB30 on the 109mm spindle?

I've got a (non-Cannondale) 68mm shell and am switching to the 109mm spindle to fix a chainline problem.

The SISL2 instructions show a massive NDS spacer for 68mm shells - much wider than the 2.5mm one on the drive side.

http://media.cannondale.com/media/uploa ... r_1012.pdf

Someone above's said that you can use standard SRAM 2.5mm spacers, but how many would I need for the NDS? Instinct suggests just one (as it's a 5mm wider axle and we're adding a 2.5mm spacer to the DS) but am I missing something?

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:28 pm
Posts: 175
Location: Palm Coast, Fl.
you will have to use 3 2.5mm spacers. You can also have a Cannondale shop order that special spacer or buy the spacer kit from Cannondale Experts.com. Either way do not deviate from the directions in the pdf and it will install correctly. Any deviation leaves you short of threads to have the crank arm bolts on correctly. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:18 pm
Posts: 48
shoemakerpom2010 wrote:
you will have to use 3 2.5mm spacers. You can also have a Cannondale shop order that special spacer or buy the spacer kit from Cannondale Experts.com. Either way do not deviate from the directions in the pdf and it will install correctly. Any deviation leaves you short of threads to have the crank arm bolts on correctly. :thumbup:


Excellent - thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], farm_lim, Google Adsense [Bot], jumpman, mnmasotto, Ulle and 48 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Hollowgram SI vs DA9000 Crankset

in Road

Ltoddokc

5

627

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:43 am

Ltoddokc View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Chainrings for a Hollowgram Si chainset

in Road

Mr_Carlos

4

379

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:57 pm

hmai18 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Cannondale SI / Hollowgram compat

in Road

HillRPete

6

613

Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:21 pm

topflightpro View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Hollowgram SiSl with SRAM 22?

in Road

TerribleCadence

2

538

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:49 am

TerribleCadence View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Hollowgram on non cannondale bike - is it just wrong??

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

roadhog44

17

934

Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:45 pm

shoemakerpom2010 View the latest post


It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB