Riding in Rome

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

parkerc

by parkerc

I am studying abroad in Rome and was wondering if anyone knew of any group rides. I do not speak much Italian as of now, but hope to improve while there.
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster"

tinchy

by tinchy

bit warm for my liking

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

should be fun :welcome:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

fast4forty

by fast4forty

I'm an American expat in Paris who, like you, was looking for some good group rides. Here's what worked for me: Go to mapmyride.com, lookup the routes in Rome, then email the riders who uploaded those routes. They almost always know English and can point you in the right direction for local clubs to reach out to. Good luck.

wobbly

by wobbly

go to your lbs and ask

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Welcome to Rome. Where are you based?

In Southern Rome (EUR area) there is a more or less continuous stream of riders that meet at the start of the Cristoforo Colombo (the sea road to Ostia) on Saturday and Sunday. The groups stream by starting at around 7:30 and the last ones leave by 9AM. The ride to Ostia is about 17~18km, from there you can turn South and ride all the way to Anzio (another 40 odd km one way) on the sea road. Although now things are pretty crowded.

If you are based in northern Rome, ride out on the via Tiberina, probably one of the better, more cycling friendly roads.

PM me for more detailed information...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

wobbly

by wobbly

Powerful Pete wrote:Welcome to Rome. Where are you based?

In Southern Rome (EUR area) there is a more or less continuous stream of riders that meet at the start of the Cristoforo Colombo (the sea road to Ostia) on Saturday and Sunday. The groups stream by starting at around 7:30 and the last ones leave by 9AM. The ride to Ostia is about 17~18km, from there you can turn South and ride all the way to Anzio (another 40 odd km one way) on the sea road. Although now things are pretty crowded.

If you are based in northern Rome, ride out on the via Tiberina, probably one of the better, more cycling friendly roads.

PM me for more detailed information...

Pete - haven't you pointed him to the 2 most dangerous roads in the area :shock:

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

wobbly wrote:Pete - haven't you pointed him to the 2 most dangerous roads in the area :shock:

I don't believe so. I ride on them regularly... And there are far more dangerous roads in Rome, unfortunately.

The Colombo is not too bad, I regularly ride it after work (ergo, rush hour) for my training rides. The Tiberina is actually quite a nice road, with limited traffic, by Rome standards.

There are, of course, plenty of other roads, but you usually have to go out on one of the 'consolari' (consular) roads to get to them.

For the record, the most dangerous road in the Rome area, by far, is the Aurelia. I believe that for some time it held the Italian record in terms of deaths per km. They actually built a trauma hospital there for that reason.

If he is then willing to take a train out of town and then ride, then there are fantastic training routes with wonderful roads and little traffic. But that becomes a full day affair.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

bumping this ancient post....in case anyone can help/is based in Rome:

Will be in Rome for 4 days around xmas (dec 22-dec 26), staying in Monteverde Vecchio (top of trastevere)
1. what are the closest group ride meeting points from there? will they likely be on every day in that period?
2. what is a good/least dangerous destination from there for 100-130k rides?

Heading to tuscany for 6 days of full on training after that, which luckily will be much less of a headache!
Cheers

Drappo

by Drappo

Welcome, i live in Civitavecchia near Roma.
You are near a Piazza Irnerio, this is an important appointment, you must go to Cicli Fatato http://www.ciclifatato.com/ and you can ask to him when the gruppo strat, i suppose on 9 am everyday.
I ask a friend.
If you want a flat street you must go near Fiumicino, if you want a hill you must go to Tolfa near my home.
Alhoa

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Drappo

by Drappo