TCR Advanced Sl ISP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

upside

by upside

Would anyone have any thoughts on installing a seatpost battery with the ISP. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

synthesis

by synthesis

Is it possible to wedge the battery in the seatpost? Maybe wrap it in cling film, and spray foam it in place.

RedViola

by RedViola

synthesis wrote:Is it possible to wedge the battery in the seatpost? Maybe wrap it in cling film, and spray foam it in place.

You could look into floral dry foam, the green/brown blocks florists use to arrange silk flowers. Might be less messy and easier to remove/replace.

I wonder if that would work... :noidea:

upside

by upside

All great ideas.. I am going to order the stuff and get it figured out

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

With my Scott Foil, I taped/rigged a light pull wire to the internal Di2 battery, then just wrapped the battery in bubble wrap, wrapped it in tape, then stuffed it lightly into the seat tube so it is secure, yet, I can pull it up by my pull cord.

Doesn't make a bit of noise, and only added a few grams of weight.

No reason a similar setup won't work.

I want my solution to be easily reversible, the idea of spraying foam and stuffing a battery and locking it into place doesn't sit well with me personally. That is why I just rigged a pull cable to the battery to pull it back up out of the seat tube and disconnect it easily.

tinozee

by tinozee

I'm surprised someone hasn't made a cool aftermarket product to handle this fairly common issue. I guess ISPs can have varied shapes though, which makes it tricky.

Horacio

by Horacio

Most home improvement stores have hard, insulating foam sheets that's backed with foil. It's sold in small and large pieces. I took the piece of ISP that the bike store cut off and pressed it into the foil side of the foam. I then carefully cut it out. This foam is an inch and 3/8s thick. I made two of them, one for the top of the batt and one for the bottom. I then pressed the batt into my cut pieces making an indentation and scooped it out using an xacto knife. I then used a hand-held torch to heat a nail and ran it through the center of one piece of foam for the wire to be routed through. I also used the heated nail to clean up my scooping mess. Only scoop out about 1/2 the depth of the foam for the battery so it's insulated. Press into the ISP.
Labor intensive yes, but I was happy with the end result and the battery is well insulated and makes no noise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

tinozee wrote:I guess ISPs can have varied shapes though, which makes it tricky.
Not just shape but design as well as I think Scott has a mostly round shape, yet Ridley and Giant are more tri-oval, while others such as Derosa which also has a round mast, actually use a short seat post that inserts into the mast topper, other manufacturers. Even the shape of the TCR Advanced ISP has progressively changed with the introduction of each new iteration so unless someone came up with a design that could adapt to the varied shapes, this will continue to be mainly a DIY issue.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"