Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Geoff

by Geoff

:thumbup:

Zoro

by Zoro

So I was talking to a French ex TDF (1980s) rider this AM. He says...

-Don't age on rims as it stretches the tire and you want it tight.
-Put about a thimble full of talc in the tube (latex silks) - that is inside, using the valve and it reduces the air loss and somehow keeps the tube more supple and reduces flats.
-When mounting a hand made, when glue is a bit soft pump tire soft and then wrap on the rim with bungee cords, then pump hard. This sets the base tape better and makes it seat better. We both acknowledged that the newer machine made tubulars seat better. We also both like the hand made ones.

I don't know which of these I will apply. But anybody else done this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Yeah, I guess we all have old habits passed-down from previous generations. These don't sound too sensical, though. In my experience, the stretching from the rim does not loosen-up the tire so much that inflating it will not secure it on the rim. By the same token, I can't imagine what a pressure a bungee cord would provide that then inflating the tire would not do.

Always interesting to hear tubular stories, though.

Zoro

by Zoro

Geoff wrote:... By the same token, I can't imagine what a pressure a bungee cord would provide that then inflating the tire would not do.
All guessing here, but I can see a difference. If I inflate an unglued tire on the rime to 100 PSI, I can still move the tire easily on the rim. Of course you know the pressure is internal on the casing and while it does tighten things up, my gut says the PSI tape to rim is far less than 100 PSI - maybe 20 PSI. Put a bungee around that and I can see the base tape to rim pressure going way up - near to the pressure of a rider on it on the road. While I am not sure it would do any good, I'm thinking if done evenly it would not hurt. I'm also thinking if it would hurt if done unevenly - then there is something there. If areas where there was a bungee was set deeper into the rim than areas with no bungee you'd get a real bumpy tire, and also know that bungees could be used to seat a tire. Do I want to try this on my FMB silks - maybe not.

Geoff

by Geoff

Maybe, but I still think that there is more than enough pressure on the basetape to ensure a good bond. My experience bears that out, for me.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Zoro wrote:So I was talking to a French ex TDF (1980s) rider this AM. He says...

-Don't age on rims as it stretches the tire and you want it tight.
-Put about a thimble full of talc in the tube (latex silks) - that is inside, using the valve and it reduces the air loss and somehow keeps the tube more supple and reduces flats.
-When mounting a hand made, when glue is a bit soft pump tire soft and then wrap on the rim with bungee cords, then pump hard. This sets the base tape better and makes it seat better. We both acknowledged that the newer machine made tubulars seat better. We also both like the hand made ones.

I don't know which of these I will apply. But anybody else done this?

Urban myths and French fairy tales..... :lol:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

dual

by dual

It's always fun having a beer with an oldtimer and listen to some tub voodoo... :lol:

Zoro

by Zoro

dual wrote:It's always fun having a beer with an oldtimer and listen to some tub voodoo... :lol:
Unfortunately this was standing in a parking lot while the kids were riding and it got colder and colder...
Here is the oldtimer http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Ber ... tedIndex=0

Geoff

by Geoff

As long as @dual isn't talking about me and Frank... :(

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

We're way too old, Geoff. :lol:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

dual

by dual

Nah, didn't mean you guys, don't worry... :-)

Geoff

by Geoff

:D

Zoro

by Zoro

fdegrove wrote:Urban myths and French fairy tales..... :lol:

Ciao, ;)
So I got my Mercury wheel set with Extralite hubs. These are very light for 55mm deep and 25mm wide. They look big and are way stiff being 25mm wide. 1110g/set. I mounted the 25mm FMBs. Compared to the Easton set with Veloflex 22 Record (a great tire around 170g), I'm 20g heavier in front (20mm deeper and 3mm wider) and 150g lighter (same depth, 3mm wider).

When mounting I did try the French fairy tail method and will always use it in the future. The FMBs were lose on the rim with no glue. I glued and mounted them, and immediately I did my best to straighten them and there was the typical slight hop. I then deflated them to about 15 psi and wrapped a nylon cord around them doing a loop every spoke and indenting the tire some 2-3 mm with the cord. I inflated to 130 psi and it was obvious things were very tight. I allowed things to sit overnight. In the morning I removed the cord and, well - it worked! A very well seated hand made tire.

Geoff

by Geoff

Wasn't that supposed to be a bungee cord? :D

Hey, whatever works. All we really care about is that you're gluing-up your own tubulars in a safe manner and riding them!

May the Great Tubular Elf bring all you WWs a nice set of deep carbons, alloy paves or light weight climbers shod with hand-made beauties!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zoro

by Zoro

Geoff wrote:Wasn't that supposed to be a bungee cord? :D
It was. But Geoff - as you have been around, so have I. This is an improvement. Try it. Ideally next time I'd like things a little squirmier, so this works even better. 130PSI in the tire <> 130 PSI tire to rim. This helps a lot. I'm still not sold on 25mm over 22mm, but I am sold on this method of mounting them.