Shimano 6870 or 9000?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RMcC

by RMcC

I'm trying to decide between these 2 groupsets for my Cervelo S2. I've been going back and forth thinking about each one but just can't decide.

The cost isn't that different with the 9000 being about £30 cheaper but that's not really been a factor in my decision making.

My pros for each are:

9000:
Won't have to drill my frame
Brilliant looks
Top groupset of the range
Better performance?
Lighter
No junction box under the stem

6870:
Clean up the top tube cable routing of the S2
Internal cable routing
Less maintenance
Electronic shifting

Any input is greatly appreciated. (if you can't make up my mind for me it'll need to be settled with the flip of a coin)

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

6870, with 9000 cranks and brakes. :)

Actually the new Ultegra crank is really quite nice. My wife has one on her CX bike and it's excellent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stefano

by Stefano

I would go 6870, just think of all the features electronic has- cleaner routing, perfect shifting, modular shifters you can add if you want to do a tt or something, in my opinion better ergonomics... and the weight and bulk are way reduced versus last year. to me its a no-brainer

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Yeah, when you can pickup a 9070 Di2 kit for $2K, no cranks/cassette with that, on eBay...wouldn't bother with those other two choices personally. 9070 is lighter than 9000 mech, and much lighter/better looking than Ultegra Di2...

I personally value the highest quality item typically of any cycling equipment, and am willing to put the extra money towards that, so I don't ever have any regrets. The excuse comes down to me, not the bike anymore.

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

I just got a new bike with 6870 on it 2 weeks ago, first time riding electric, and I will say this: I don't think it makes mechanical drivetrains obsolete. As in, I don't think (so far) it will be like I can't go back to mechanical, especially after hearing how brilliant da9000 is over and over again. Basically they're not reinventing the wheel or anything. With that said, it is very, very sweet. Extremely smooth, precise, rear shifting is very quiet and fast, and I'm interested to see how the longevity and ease of upkeep goes down the road with not having to replace cables or have the shifting be slightly 'out of tune', potential of increased drivetrain life, etc.

On the other side of the coin - 6870 is not the lightest group in the world. So, if weight is up there in your priority list and you're on the fence, I'd give the nod to 9000.

RMcC

by RMcC

I was sort of edging towards da9000 before seeing all the replies but will most likely go with the di2 now. 9070 is out of my budget at the minute but I suppose that would solve all the issues, but after reading a few online reviews of 6870 they all don't seem to think 9070 is worth the extra.

Weight is a factor but as it's an S2 it's never going to be that light and I have another bike that I'd use use for hilly courses.

Im contemplating going with the 6870 with Dura Ace crank idea though. Has anyone tried this?

NS

by NS

Ribble are doing DA 9000 for just under £1100 at the moment.... no brainer IMO I wouldnt put Di2 on a non internal bike again it just looks a mess.

I already have 9070 though and Di2 is amazing, the mechanical is going on my Colnago Master

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

^^tried it, meaning will it work? It will work just fine. This thread might give you some good visual reference http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=98209"%20onclick="window.open(this.href);return%20false;

NS

by NS

Also what size is your Cervelo? I had a 54 and couldnt get an external battery on with 2 bottle cages and be able to use both of them without wrestling with the bottle, I ended up leaving the Di2 off it.

RMcC

by RMcC

My S2 is a 51. I was going to route everything internally apart from junction A including the battery so the bottle cage problem wouldn't be an issue.

The ribble offer is a very tempting deal though, might just do that and get saving for a specific di2 bike later on.

Aaahhh, such a hard decision.

NS

by NS

I dont think you will be disappointed with either but I wouldn't get the DA cranks with the Ultegra. for the sake of a couple of grams id rather have it all match

VPR

by VPR

I have Ultegra Di2 6770 on my TT bike and have tested the 6770 road STI shifters a bit. I don't think that they are making mechanical systems obsolete yet because of lever feel and issues with loose cables and empty batteries. Just updated my S2 from 6700 to 9000 and loving it, the new shifting is incredibly light and precise.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

RMcC wrote:Weight is a factor but as it's an S2 it's never going to be that light and I have another bike that I'd use use for hilly courses.
Im contemplating going with the 6870 with Dura Ace crank idea though. Has anyone tried this?

I did the same with my Bike : Non electrical parts DA7900 and the electrical parts Ultegra 6770. Bought the complete Ultegra group - used the electrical parts. Reason for not Going DA7970 all the way was the fact that the DA7970 can't be upgraded to 11-speed. Ultegra 6770 is almost identical to DA9070. Bought the Ultegra Di2 for a bargain in May - that was another reason.... :wink:

lannes

by lannes

RMcC wrote:Image

Is there a special reason why you have the control box hanging down, in most installations I see it zip tied under the stem ?

VPR

by VPR

lannes wrote:Is there a special reason why you have the control box hanging down, in most installations I see it zip tied under the stem ?

This is how it's designed for 7970 and 6770 (zip tied to cables). 9070 and 6870 have the new control boxes which are situated under the stem and held by a rubber band.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com