Anyone Ridden the 2014 BMC SLR02?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

I see a lot of great reviews on the new SLR01, but I have yet to find a review on the new SLR02. It appears to be the same frame design as the SLR01 with a different layup, while still getting internal routing.

If anyone has ridden one, how would you compare it to a 6/7 Series Madone, or a Specialized Tarmac SL4 Pro or S-Works?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Been speaking to BMC about it. its effectivley got a couple of corners cut because of cost (cheaper layup etc), but i wouldn't let that worry you.

the seatpost is not a team machine one but the one from the granfondo, or very similar so its very comfy. total weight for the framesets are 1380 for the SLR01 and 1530 for the SLR02. i've been assured you will get excellent stiffness to weight ( better than all of the preceding models ( RM/SL/ and last years SLR01)) from the SLR02.

in terms of bang for buck in the uk you can get a 105 equipped one for £1800. take the OE wheels off (and replace) and you've got an excellent bike.

I'm probably going to get one for the classics! or if i save for a couple of months i'll just get an ultegra equipped SLR01. :D

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

No need to quote above

Thanks. I have been looking at the Ultegra Di2 model, but have yet to ride an SLR01 or 02. 150g is not that big of a hit for the frame. Based on your talks with BMC, would you say it would be like the difference between a Madone 7 and 6, and a Tarmac S-Works and Pro? Or more like Madone 7 and 5 and Tarmac S-Works and Expert?

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

I'm really happy with mine. I purchased the SLR02 w/ Ultegra and swapped out the OEM wheels with C24s. The bike weighs in at 15.8 or 15.9 with a cage and pedals. The ride is smooth and it handles well. It's definitely not as compliant as my SLR01.

Still making some small adjustments to the positioning.

Normal bike:

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

ilvwhtgrls wrote:I'm really happy with mine. I purchased the SLR02 w/ Ultegra and swapped out the OEM wheels with C24s. The bike weighs in at 15.8 or 15.9 with a cage and pedals. The ride is smooth and it handles well. It's definitely not as compliant as my SLR01.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely NOT as compliant? So there is quite a big gap in the two?

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

It's pretty significant. It's definitely not harsh but a far stretch from the SLR01 from 2013 or 2014. I'm a huge fan of the SLR line due to handling, geometry and comfort of the frame. The SLR02 is a great bike but not quite amazing. I'll be using it for crit and road races.

grover

by grover

I built mine last night. Well finished at 1am actually. Bought 105 spec bike, ripped everything off for SRAM Red build and DT Swiss 240s custom wheelset.

Size 57 - 1060 grams with bidon bolts and derailleur hanger. Fork was 330 grams at stock length, going to drop a bit when I trim the steerer of the excess 30mm they give you :-)

Compared to 2014 SLR01
- same materials (BMC don't use different grades of carbon fibre)
- same 'ACE technology' design process
- manufacturing is different (cheaper), uses a non-removeable bladder which is what most of the weight difference is
- externally routed cables for mechanical groups (internally routed for electronic and external guides are completely removable)
- round 27.2 seatpost rather than proprietry D shaped post on the SLR01 (this was 200 grams exactly at full length, which I think was 350mm)

I haven't ridden any other BMC roadies extensively but this frame tests better than all previous BMC road framesets for stiffness to weight and comfort including the 2013 SLR01 (sounds like lab results differ from real world according to 'ilvwhtgrls', or is that opinion clouded by the SLR01 decal...needs a blinded test I think). The only frame better in tests is the 2014 SLR01. I kept the stock seatpost as BMC have a good track record of designing their post to compliment the framesets characteristics. I believe they add to the comfort.

As for the ride, this may be new bike fever but...I put 5 hours on it today with 2200 vertical metres and an hour of gravel roads. The most noticeable thing is how fresh I am afterwards. It is supremely comfortable. Road buzz is barely there and big hits (ashphalt joins, potholes etc) are softened a great deal. It is on par with my Parlee Z5 (sold last year) which is saying a lot (love that bike).
The ride smoothing characteristics kept it absolutely glued to the road on a rough decent I've ridden many times. Absolutely railed it today. At 182cm, 70kg I'm not exactly pushing the limits of its stiffness and acceleration but it was very responsive to my 1400 watt sprint :-)

You can probably guess that right now I'm very happy with my purchase. It's expensive for a 105 bike but the frameset is an absolute standout at the pricepoint!

I haven't ridden an SL4 or Madone 6/7 extensively to compare sorry.
Last edited by grover on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

Great write up!

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

ilvwhtgrls wrote:It's pretty significant. It's definitely not harsh but a far stretch from the SLR01 from 2013 or 2014. I'm a huge fan of the SLR line due to handling, geometry and comfort of the frame. The SLR02 is a great bike but not quite amazing. I'll be using it for crit and road races.

Odd. BMC is claiming that it is actually a pretty big step up in stiffness and compliance from the 2013 SLR01. I guess that was more on paper. I am anxious to see how the general population feels.

Thanks for the feedback.

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

grover wrote:I built mine last night. Well finished at 1am actually. Bought 105 spec bike, ripped everything off for SRAM Red build and DT Swiss 240s custom wheelset.

Size 57 - 1060 grams with bidon bolts and derailleur hanger. Fork was 330 grams at stock length, going to drop a bit when I trim the steerer of the excess 30mm they give you :-)

Compared to 2014 SLR01
- same materials (BMC don't use different grades of carbon fibre)
- same 'ACE technology' design process
- manufacturing is different (cheaper), uses a non-removeable bladder which is what most of the weight difference is
- externally routed cables for mechanical groups (internally routed for electronic and external guides are completely removable)
- round 27.2 seatpost rather than proprietry D shaped post on the SLR01 (this was 200 grams exactly at full length, which I think was 350mm)

I haven't ridden any other BMC roadies extensively but this frame tests better than all previous BMC road framesets for stiffness to weight and comfort including the 2013 SLR01 (sounds like lab results differ from real world according to 'ilvwhtgrls', or is that opinion clouded by the SLR01 decal...needs a blinded test I think). The only frame better in tests is the 2014 SLR01. I kept the stock seatpost as BMC have a good track record of designing their post to compliment the framesets characteristics. I believe they add to the comfort.

As for the ride, this may be new bike fever but...I put 5 hours on it today with 2200 vertical metres and an hour of gravel roads. The most noticeable thing is how fresh I am afterwards. It is supremely comfortable. Road buzz is barely there and big hits (ashphalt joins, potholes etc) are softened a great deal. It is on par with my Parlee Z5 (sold last year) which is saying a lot (love that bike).
The ride smoothing characteristics kept it absolutely glued to the road on a rough decent I've ridden many times. Absolutely railed it today. At 182cm, 70kg I'm not exactly pushing the limits of its stiffness and acceleration but it was very responsive to my 1400 watt sprint :-)

You can probably guess that right now I'm very happy with my purchase. It's expensive for a 105 bike but the frameset is an absolute standout at the pricepoint!

I haven't ridden an SL4 or Madone 6/7 extensively to compare sorry.

Thanks for the write-up. Just what I was looking for. I am eyeing the Ultegra Di2 Model, or may do what you did and buy the 105 and strip it. I have a frame lying around that I could throw the 105 on.

Any particular reason why you chose BMC coming from the Parlee?

grover

by grover

The Parlee was a personal bike a couple of years ago (sold last year). I was required to ride a different brand with a team in the last two years. Not racing next year so can ride what I like :-) Nearly bought another Parlee but thought I'd try something different. Pleasantly surprised.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

LoggingMiles wrote:
ilvwhtgrls wrote:It's pretty significant. It's definitely not harsh but a far stretch from the SLR01 from 2013 or 2014. I'm a huge fan of the SLR line due to handling, geometry and comfort of the frame. The SLR02 is a great bike but not quite amazing. I'll be using it for crit and road races.

Odd. BMC is claiming that it is actually a pretty big step up in stiffness and compliance from the 2013 SLR01. I guess that was more on paper. I am anxious to see how the general population feels.

Thanks for the feedback.

The 2013 SLR01 is one of my favorite bikes, ever. As Grover mentioned, I've never felt as fresh after a long, hard training ride. IME, the 2014 SLR01 is a little stiffer but not quite as comfortable. I intially felt that when I rode one at a dealer event in Switzerland and confirmed it with my personal bike. The 2014 SLR02 is pretty similar in terms of handling and stiffness but gives up a bit in terms of comfort.

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

I have access through my team to Felt, Specialized, BMC, and Trek. I am down to the BMC SLR02, Felt AR2, and Felt F2. I still need to ride the SLR02.

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

I just bought a 2013 SLR01 frameset, but just noticed it has externally routed brake cables. Do you find this to be a problem?

allenpg

by allenpg

I just talked to a local shop I ride with about it last week. One of the employees actually chose the SLR02 over the SLR01 for the price point. He's ridden both and says there really isn't a noticeable difference in the frame. I liken it to choosing the Cannondale Evo over the Evo Hi-Mod. If you want to save some weight and you have the $$$, I know the shop would recommend the SLR01...then again most of the shop rides the SLR02...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com