Direct drive trainer - 10sp & 11sp bikes on one cassette

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vitriol

by vitriol

I'm looking to buy a direct drive trainer, probably the wahoo kickr.

I have Sram 11 speed, my girlfriend shimano 10speed.

How practical or not would it be to have one trainer for the two of us? I guess I'd have to change the cassette on the trainer every time I change bikes, am I right? Any other options?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

Yes, you'd have to change cassettes, if you wanted to shift gears through all the gears. You could probably get by with just finding a gear that would work with the 11s bike on a 10s cassette, and ride the kickr in erg mode, using the kickr to adjust resistance rather than shifting the 11s bike. Cog width between 10s and 11s is the same, its just slightly narrower spacing between them, so at least a couple of the lower tooth count gears should be close enough to use.

You could experiment with this by sticking one of her wheels/cassettes on your 11s bike. Just be careful not to shift down into the spokes, as the rear derailleur will likely shift the chain over the largest cog in the back in this case. Also, if you go this route, probably would have to be careful to not do the same on the kickr...though, you could turn down the low limit screw on the 11s to prevent this.

If you choose to change out cassettes, which is the safe way to do it, I'd recommend the Abbey Bike works crombie to be able to swap cassettes without removing the skewer, but its still going to be a messy job - really depends on how often you're planning on changing out cassettes, and what your tolerance for fiddling is.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I use a 10sp Force cassette for my 9000 bike on my LeMond. It's a good shift most of the time and holds the gear fine. Which given I normally have sweat and dibble going everywhere means it's totally fine :lol:

Otherwise the swap over for a Campag cassette (which I really should be doing for the 9000 bike) takes all over 3 minutes and a little bit of grease on my fingers. Not sure how long for the Wahoo. But really, should not be a massive task to simply swap a cassette over.

vitriol

by vitriol

Thanks, now I just bought the Kickr and the Abbey Bike works crombie (the super lite one :D ). I really have to stop reading these forums! :shock: :lol:

aaric

by aaric

At least you didn't splurge and get the cool chain whip that they make too, so that the crombie can fit inside its handle....

vitriol

by vitriol

:shock: Lol, I did!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have direct experience with wahoo kicker.. even with campy… shimano11/shimano10 you need to switch cassette.. shimano 10/campy11 = switch cassette.. shimano11/campy11 = ok.

it works in some cogs but there is more noise then there should be… because it's thinking about switching.

Sometimes when I'm lazy, I just raise the seat on her bike and go for it…. I do more outdoors riding then she does..so her bike sits on the wahoo 80% of the time.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com