Bicyclist killed by Police patrol car while in a bike lane..

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

The peer sharing of this is going to be huge.

rijndael

by rijndael

There are accidents all the time. Cars hit people. Cars hit other cars. Trucks and buses hit cars. They both hit pedestrians. As long as you're on the road, you're taking a risk.

rijndael

by rijndael

What I have an issue with is when someone's guilty of negligence, and they're not charged appropriately, or they're let off with an easy fine.

I have the same complaint with drunk drivers getting off too easy.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I agree with @rijandel. As long as everyone shares the road there WILL be accidents. And accidents are different than road rage, let's not confuse the two. It's always a terrible thing when someone dies in an accident on the road, anyone, be they a cyclist or a driver or a pedestrian. But let's not always just jump to a conclusion that the cyclist couldn't possibly have done anything that contributed to the accident. And as cyclists, we need to be extra diligent in looking out for potential trouble spots regardless of who may be "in the right" because an accident between car and cyclist is unlikely to have a good outcome for the cyclist especially. All that should go without saying really. But I said it anyway.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I am interested in this phenomenon of the police 'patrolling'. They don't bother doing that in the UK anymore.

bricky21

by bricky21

Valbrona wrote:They don't bother doing that in the UK anymore

That's because they're monitoring you all with video :P .

vlastrada

by vlastrada

rijndael wrote:There are accidents all the time. Cars hit people. Cars hit other cars. Trucks and buses hit cars. They both hit pedestrians. As long as you're on the road, you're taking a risk.

Okay, but this cyclist was on a cycling lane, so there should be no cars there. plus don't really understand the logic of your statement, people get murdered all the time too, that doesn't justify it, just because it happens "all the time"...

rijndael

by rijndael

vlastrada wrote:Okay, but this cyclist was on a cycling lane, so there should be no cars there.
The point is that accidents with cyclists will always happen, it will never end. It's like asking when will car accidents end.

vlastrada wrote:people get murdered all the time too, that doesn't justify it, just because it happens "all the time"...
I covered negligence in my second post.

The stories I've read of this incident don't provide enough details, as usual. We don't know if it was negligence or an accident.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than a terrorist in the USA... :noidea:
So it's not very surprising

de zwarten

by de zwarten

rijndael wrote:
vlastrada wrote:Okay, but this cyclist was on a cycling lane, so there should be no cars there.
The point is that accidents with cyclists will always happen, it will never end. It's like asking when will car accidents end.

My point would be that this is not the default situation, and something should be done against. Your comment kind of takes it for granted that it happens and nothing could be done about it.
Some actions, more than others, can significantly drop the numbers of casualties (e.g. good bike infrastructure).

aerozy

by aerozy

Im not saying it was the cops fault, but as someone has already pointed out cars should not be on the cycling lane. Enough said.

From my own experience 90% of my near misses have been the drivers fault. And many times they do it on purpose. Typical example is the motorist that thinks cyclists have no right of way in roundabouts. I ride defensively assuming everybody out there is a bloody idiot but what can you do when someone is willing to run you over because you are "not suppose" to be there?

When I took my driving license there was very little mention of cyclists rights. I think the system is part to blame as half the people driving out there do not know the LAW. And worse even when they ignorantly believe the law is on their side they are willing to kill someone to prove the point.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

rijndael

by rijndael

I agree, there should be no cars in the bike lane. There's a difference between negligence, malicious, and accidents.

If some of you have evidence that this was malicious or negligence, please share it. I'm not going to assume the guy is guilty based on one or two news articles, which - more often than not - leave out important details.

de zwarten wrote:Your comment kind of takes it for granted that it happens and nothing could be done about it.
I didn't say that. I'm saying that there will always be accidents between bikes and other vehicles. You may be able to reduce them, but they will always happen as long as they're on the road. Cars and pedestrians end up interacting a fair bit too, and they have sidewalks!

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bro ... -1.1369370

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

As others said, accidents happen all the time. Finding a jury that will throw someone in jail for an accident is going to be hard, if even possible.

We can all relate to being distracted while driving [riding a bike or driving a car]. Most of use have been fortunate when that occurs, that we did not hurt someone.

How about if we convince the bicycle community to pay additional taxes to make roads just for us. When that occurs, we will have a better leg to stand on. I would pay more just so I can say, I'm willing to pay for that idea, that gives me the sensation that I am safe. In reality, I'm still just as likely to be killed, cause it is an 'accident'.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kac

by kac

sugarkane wrote:You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than a terrorist in the USA... :noidea:
So it's not very surprising

Yes, absolutely true. Worse still, police-induced fatalities are very, very rarely punished. I will be quite curious to learn the outcome of this "misadventure". I'd place my bet on no significant punitive action against the offending sheriff. Perhaps as a consolation, he can stencil a confirmed kill on his door: two more and he's an ace!