Assos leg grippers too loose in brand new FI.13 shorts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Foghat

by Foghat

Have just acquired two pairs of the FI.13 S5 shorts, to supplement two pairs of the 'same' FI.13 S5 model bought in 2011.

However, despite all pairs being the same L size, the leg grippers in these 2013 versions are much looser than the 2011 versions, to the extent that they are unusable and I am going to have to return them for a refund (the next size down is not an option, as M is too small in the body/braces).

Measuring them, the 2011 shorts are approximately 18-19cm across at the leg gripper, while the 2013 shorts are 21cm. This gives a circumferential difference of at least 4cm in each leg gripper between the 2011 and 2013 versions - no wonder they are too loose!

Clearly, Assos has inconsistent production methods even within a model line, and currently seems to assume most riders are short with fat legs - meaning I probably now need to look to other brands.

So I would be interested in recommendations for similar quality shorts that are designed for 6ft slim riders who need nice tight leg grippers that don't ride up, and who do not like the ridiculous 'too-short-shorts' look or feel. High quality, thick pads would still be a key consideration.

Any suggestions? Across-leg-gripper measurements (and shorts size) would be helpful for reference too.

Thanks!
Freight-train groove-ride: 4'02" to 14'40" LOUD, bass right up and eyes closed!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I can sympathize with you. I've had the same issues.
It gets old trying to find shorts for tall folks with skinny legs (seems like a it should be easy to find in an industry revolved around exercise :) )

Even the Weightweenies kit was the same way. They are SUPER tight in the pelvis but the leg grippers are loose...I AM 125LBS AND 5'11...... I 'm hoping it's better on the bike than when I tried them on...but it's winter now and I won't know till spring.
Have you tried some of the other Assos models in the same size?

If you want suggestions I have two:
1. Pearl Isumi (I know, of all the brands :) )...but their top of the line (pro-fit), fits well and are long enough...really (looks are another discussion).

2. DNA Cycling (the bio fit..top of the line model..as well as the second tier stuff too).. They are plenty long and fit the skinner rider.

I have found very few that fit the very skinny tall rider, so when I find one, I buy 2 or 3 kits and use them until they fall apart.

Best of luck.

vdrey

by vdrey

Hincapie is good too. I am 6'3 (192cm) and their velocity line is perfect.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jipperd

by jipperd

Assos sizing has become slightly more loose compared with a few years ago. You might be better off with a size M.

Foghat

by Foghat

Thanks for the replies, particularly the recommendations (especially carbon2329).

It looks like my long association with Assos shorts is over - it seems that Assos is more intent on catering to the fat MAMIL market now.

Any more suggestions of specific models for high-quality bibshorts with:
- longish legs
- VERY good leg grippers that work well on slim legs
- comfortable thick pad

fitty4

by fitty4

I'm 178 cm, thighs 51 cm we use sportful in our club, I use the bodyfit pro M and it is nice and tight with a nice pad

gitsome

by gitsome

Ive also noticed Assos doesn't bother with any grippy rubber/silicone at the tops of their warmers which was an instant turn-off for me as I hate it even when the grippiest warmers eventually slip and can't see how/why they thought theirs would hold well without them. Weird.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

A lot of people buy their Assos bibshorts too big. The bibshorts need to feel too small when putting them on, but on the bike it all comes together. @Foghat: You should try one size smaller
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Foghat

by Foghat

Er, I already established in the first post that Assos size L (2011) is the right size for me. Moreover, Assos size L has been exactly right for me since circa 1990.

The point of the thread is noting that two pairs of the 2013 version of the same FI.13 S5 shorts suggest a clear change in Assos's leg gripper sizing regime, which now seems geared to the more lucrative fat MAMIL market - 4cm is a huge difference in leg gripper circumference (more than 20%!). I may investigate the new S7 models, but am not holding out much hope on the suitability or efficacy of their leg grippers, and am not inclined to fuel the pricing direction Assos is going in either.

DMF

by DMF

A little OT but not much, I've got a few pairs of Assos knickers (the warmer weather version, TK.434.1) in size M, I'm 174cm/72-75kg, fairly fit and most of that weight really is in the legs department. These are really snug, but I like 'em that way.

Ordered a pair of F1.Mille with the regular leg length in same size. Like I said the knickers are really snug throughout the whole leg, maybe except for just the center kneecap. The Mille's were so loose over the lower mid thigh at the grippers (nowhere near being below the main muscles) that they actually wrinkled without touching my skin. Same size M as the knickers.

I could hardly believe it. Had to return them unused. Size S is no option due to bib length (and I have 84cm inseem on a 174cm body!) ...Assos for 25% body fat and above?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Mille level does appear to aimed at the, I quote "American market" unquote.

By this I guess he meant a bit more generous than the traditional euro racer shape...

It might be worth looking on the factory outlet website; they've had 2000 pairs made up with the old orange chamois, and fit is similar to the old S2.
Official cafe stop tester

bombertodd

by bombertodd

2011 large = perfect
2013 large = too loose
2011 medium = too tight
2013 medium = ???

Have you tried on a 2013 medium? You won't know if it fits until you try.

jt2gt

by jt2gt

poppiholla wrote:A lot of people buy their Assos bibshorts too big. The bibshorts need to feel too small when putting them on, but on the bike it all comes together. @Foghat: You should try one size smaller

+1. This is true of all bibs...I always say buy as tight as you can stand. Most Assos is tight across the board, so folks buy the first set they try on cause they feel reasonably OK. But you have to try on size below and buy as tight/snug as possible. Really... tighter is better when it comes to bib shorts...on the bike they will feel much better and you will not get saddle sores or problems with the shorts sliding/bunching etc.

wickedwheels

by wickedwheels

If it's a problem, send them back. Assos is good about warranty and service.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Foghat

by Foghat

bombertodd wrote:2011 large = perfect
2013 large = too loose
2011 medium = too tight
2013 medium = ???

Have you tried on a 2013 medium? You won't know if it fits until you try.

I haven't mentioned another retrogressive 'improvement' of the 2013 FI.13 S5 shorts - namely that they are even shorter in the leg than the same-size 2011 model.

Given that the 2011 shorts' leg length is just about tolerable on account of the overall quality, comfort and narrowish leg grippers that work, this makes the 2013 version too short for me - a bonus irritation on top of the ill-fitting daft new leg grippers. This means considering an even shorter leg (i.e. on the size M) is out of the question - the Sean Yates hotpants approach both looks ridiculous and feels uncomfortable. Besides, the braces in new size L were pretty damned tight as I'm not short. At Assos prices (even discounted), anything less than superb fit is unacceptable.

So, after a long association, my gaze is diverted away from Assos when it comes to shorts now - my prime concerns now are: i) high quality thick pad; ii) long leg; iii) decent leg grippers 19cm across or less; iv) durable lycra.

Additional manufacturer suggestions (with across-leg-gripper measurements) would be welcome.