XPREZO T-29 steel 29er 10,04 kg - update May 22

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

For 2014 I will be riding a nice handmade steel 29er by a local compagny named XPREZO. They are a small business here in Canada, welding their frame in house, painting, etc. They are a small bunch of passionate guys and im looking foward to working with them as a rider.

I've got my frameset yesterday, a nice T-29, 29er hardtail built with Columbus Zona tubes. The nude frame (before painting) weights 1600g in medium size. My frame weighted in at 2002g including the pressfit GXP bottom bracket and the lower headset fitting. It has a race geometry and a rear 142x12mm axle.

I thought a canadian handmade steel 29er would be somewhat exotic so I plan on updating my thread as the build progresses. I may need some of the valuable weight-weenie help with regard to affordable and light parts. I already got a good bunch of parts and they are not the lightest but they are reliable. My first concern is reliability because I am training and racing a lot on my bike. My target weight would be 10,5kg though im not sure I can reach that goal with the current parts I have and intend to use for this build.

Of course there are plenty of photos to come with weights and scale shots :)

XPREZO T-29 2014 final weight: 10,04 kg

Frame: Xprezo T-29 Columbus Zona medium: 2001g (incl. press fit GXP bb, lower headset cup, cable guide, front derailleur mount and bolt).
Fork: rockshox SID RLT 29er: 1648g uncut (incl. 15mm axle)
Headset: FSA: 69g
seatpost clamp: 30mm straight line clamp with Ti bolt: 18g
Seatpost: ENVE setback 27,2x400: 192g
Saddle: full carbon: 102g
Stem: KCNC arrow 100mm -17d: 133g
Bar: ENVE sweept 740mm: 172g
bottle cages and hardware: generic carbon and alu bolts: 33g
Outer Cables: shimano: 49g
Brakes: Shimano XTR 987: 384g
Front derailleur: Shimano XT: 135g
Rear derailleur: Shimano XTR shadow plus: 213g
Crankset: SRAM GXP SRM 175mm 26/39 chainrings: 699g
Bottom Bracket: included in frame weight
rear axle: rockshox maxle 142x12: 73g
Chain: shimano SLX: 261g
Shifters: Shimano XTR: 223g (incl. cables)
housing: shimano XTR: 49g
Cassette: Shimano XTR 11-36: 270g
Wheels: stans crest 29, american classic hubs, sapim lazer spokes: 1649g (incl. KCNC razor rotors 160mm, Ti rotor bolts, tubeless valves, speed magnet and rim tape)
Tires: Maxxis Ikons 2.2, exc exo: 1189g
Pedals:egg beater 3: 279g
Computer: SRM PC7: 82g (incl. handlebar mount)
Misc: (bartape grips, speed sensor, chianstay protector): 37g

Anyways, here are a few shots of the frameset.

Last edited by devinci on Thu May 22, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Mate, this is very nice! And really like the 'made in Canada' logo.

But, no CK headset? :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

The headset came as is.

Would there be a weight saving benefit going CK? They sure look sick!

Do I have any other headset option? I'd really like something with a thinner bottom fitting, not sure it makes a huge difference on HT length though.

My blog: www.cyclingtrainingnuts.blogspot.ca

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Not sure about weight difference, but will certainly tick the 'reliability' box.

(as well as looking primo!)

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Great frame! you might also take a look at the headsets from Tune. If you have a hard time sourcing one I'm willing to help you out.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

devinci

by devinci

The required headset is 44mm and the bottom part of the head tube does not have that groove to sit the bottom bearing like in carbon frame. My question related to that: do I absolutely need to use a headset with a lower fitting like mine or can I somehow use something that looks fully integrated? I guess I could shorten the HT by 3-5mm that way.

jooo

by jooo

You can run an internal bottom cup which is just a completely normal zero stack headset, but then you have to run a fork with a straight steerer - the taper is too large to fit, no way of having both with your headtube.

No reason to run anything CK if weight is a concern! Extralite's new headset is the lightest (to suit a 44mm headtube, tapered fork combo) http://www.extralite.com/Products/UltraTop-Bottom.htm

FRM is another option.

Tune don't currently make a headset to suit tapered forks in 44mm headtubes AFAIK.

The frame weight is pretty good for what it is and definitely a fair bit lighter than something comparable, like a Niner. It's also heaps lighter than the errr, more entry level stuff from On One, Surly, Salsa etc

devinci

by devinci

thanks jooo

which extralite would I precisely need? I assume there would be a bottom fitting too? I can't find the price..

jooo

by jooo

With a tapered fork, you'd need the ZS44/28.6 upper and the EC44/40 lower. Extralite sell the top and bottom separately but together they're about $175 which includes their fork expander and top cap.

devinci

by devinci

Thanks

not sure the price is worth the few g saved though.

My main concern was the bottom external cup, since I absolutely need one, I'll keep the current headset. I already have the ultrastar 2 ;)

The stock seatpost clamp is 25g, I need something lighter but it has an uncommon diameter of 30mm. I know the cannondale EVO would fit, I think... Any other light options out there? Some more marginal saving!

jooo

by jooo

You realise the weight saving can be pretty big on the headset right? For example, even with the heavy duty top bearing the Extralite weighs less than half as much as something like a King yet costs about the same? Someone could save as much as 100 grams using the Extralite headset over an average OE unit. Your FSA would probably be at the heavier end of the spectrum too.

SMUD carbon make a 30.0 clamp, as well as Tune and Mcfk for example.

r2-bike sell this http://r2-bike.com/YUNIPER-Seatpost-Clamp-Ultralight-300-mm-6g

Quinn039

by Quinn039

great frame, two of the guys on my university team were riding those this season, both in black with lime graphics (one matte one gloss). Really solid bikes, I got to demo one during the summer when Antoine came down to the shop i work at. Fast, but didnt like being in the air, maybe that was just the way it was set up, but that was my only qualm with the bikes. Such a great finish on them, I love steel bikes so much!

nspace

by nspace

They really beat you over the head with advertising the fact that it's handmade!

devinci

by devinci

I think the handmade aspect is an interesting one, socially and economically.

I like out of ordinary stuff. The overall Xprezo phylosophy is awesome IMO.

My blog: www.cyclingtrainingnuts.blogspot.ca

nspace

by nspace

No, I agree completely. I really like the A-OK hand icon with the flag. And then, on the head tube, and in two languages on the chainstays. They weren't so subtle about it, maybe a little overkill!

Looks like a nice frame though, I've seen quite a few of these around the Ontario Cup race scene, lots of guys on Cycle Solutions who seem to be happy with them. Looking forward to final build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com