2013 Specialized Allez Race vs 2012 CAAD 10

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AblackSEA

by AblackSEA

i was looking at the 14" allez e5 smart weld its just a matter of getting a deal in aus to order one ever, i've test ridden the caad 10 and also a tarmac to test out the geo and preferred the tarmac geo as it is closer to my beater used to get to uni and back.

also the 100 grams doesn't worry me to much with the build and the cable kits on the way they will both be close enough to the 7kg goal with the heavy set of wheels that i wont be to fussed for now.
definitely better than the 24 ib BAUER.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

AblackSEA, I was seriously considering the Allez Smartweld before I got my CAAD10 (still sorta contemplating the Allez). Just wish one of those German magazines would pit the CAAD10 vs the Allez against each other. Would be nice to get some standardized testing data comparing them.

For $800 give it a shot. If you don't like it sell it and get something else.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

AblackSEA

by AblackSEA

planning just that only issue now is getting the frame set to Australia as none of the lbs who stock them are willing to strip one down for me let alone able to order the frame set in which is frustrating. be nice if the distribution and models of each set was standardised instead of segmented and limited over here. :noidea:

now to find the frame set online fingers crossed.

ruffryder

by ruffryder

Here's one head to head review: http://www.specialized.com/media/reviews/RBA_Alloy_Shootout_lo_res.pdf

I just got my 2014 Allez Expert which i'm converting to Di2. I'm just happy that aluminum is making a comeback and proves that you can get carbon performance for a fraction of the price. I don't think you can go wrong with either frame and it mainly is subjective at this point along with which geo suits you better. I'll have much more piece of mind racing it over carbon anyday, there's been way too many ass pucker moments.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Just gotta say that "carbon performance for a fraction of the price" is pushing it a bit. I spent a few thousand miles on an Allez something or other (glossy black with red, BB30) and then went back to carbon. Even low end carbon rode better. Granted the prices of the framesets were not equal but to say that the Allez offered the same ride quality is way off.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

austinla

by austinla

Carbon bikes really aren't out of the price range of the OP. All in I have just over $3000 (including sales tax) in a 2013 Trek Madone 5.9 Di2. I sold the wheel set and Ultegra group after buying the bike for $3400 OTD. I then bought 11spd Ultegra from Pro Bike Kit and 38mm deep wheels from FarSports, and my bike weighs 15.6lbs, is very stiff, very comfortable, and has a lifetime warranty. I profited $300 from the parts swap, bringing my effective price to $3100.
I'm not trying to sway the OP on which aluminum bike to get, but as a previous CAAD 9 and CAAD 10 owner, its laughable by comparison.

Also, the S.A.V.E. CAAD10 is worth mentioning. The Allez is about as comfortable but not as stiff (yes the 2013 race model). The CAAD 10 is a good choice, but I don't think the Allez shines any brighter than the other aluminum offerings from Trek, Jamis, Giant, Scott, etc. I've ridden lots of them and for the most part, they all feel about equal in comfort, but the CAAD 10 is stiff enough for the very strong crit riders in my area.

vdrey

by vdrey

I don't have personal experience with them, but I think you should take a look at tsunami bikes. They offer a custom ALU bike for about the cost of the specialized frame. It seems like it would be worth a shot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Having ridden carbon and aluminum bikes of all kinds I can say that "carbon performance" is more than attainable by a top-shelf aluminum bike.

ruffryder

by ruffryder

hasbeen wrote:Just gotta say that "carbon performance for a fraction of the price" is pushing it a bit. I spent a few thousand miles on an Allez something or other (glossy black with red, BB30) and then went back to carbon. Even low end carbon rode better. Granted the prices of the framesets were not equal but to say that the Allez offered the same ride quality is way off.

I don't think it's pushing it a bit at all. I definitely think that the current crop of alum bikes has at least reached the mid level carbon bikes as far as performance goes. Also, which model Allez did you ride? E5 smartweld models is what i'm talking about. Did the bikes you compared have the same components? I know that it is unrealistic sometimes to do but it's not an apples to apples comparison if you don't do that. Believe it or not, the components have a tremendous impact on ride quality and even more so on aluminum. There are many out there that have gone back to alum and prefer it over their carbon bikes, just saying...

hasbeen

by hasbeen

The inherent nature of the materials suggests that alu cant compete with carbon. But I dont want to start that war.
What I can comment on is that I am a big fan of high end alloy frames mainly for the overall value. That is why I had a Spec Allez Evo 2012. I liked the bike overall even though I am not a big fan of Spec. I had to make a change when sponsorship stuff changed. Went to a Focus Izalco (the least expensive one from 2011, used) and the difference was quite significant. Same parts as I did a frameset switch.
What I can say is that the best made alu frame can compete with low end carbon but simply because low end carbon is only a shade of what carbon can do (esp if layup, epoxy, and schedule are paid attention to).
Sorry for the off topic!
I would pick the C-dale caad10. I am biased though.
btompkins0112 wrote:

prebsy

by prebsy

Cannondale vs. Specialized, this ought to play out nicely...

I rode the crap out of an E5 allez in 2011 and am currently riding the crap out of a 2012 caad10. Both the allez and the caad rock, they are both so f**king awesome, they kick so much carbon butt it's not even funny. Buy the allez, no buy the caad10, no buy both!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

hasbeen wrote:Just gotta say that "carbon performance for a fraction of the price" is pushing it a bit. I spent a few thousand miles on an Allez something or other (glossy black with red, BB30) and then went back to carbon. Even low end carbon rode better. Granted the prices of the framesets were not equal but to say that the Allez offered the same ride quality is way off.

I intentionally tested the S-Works Tarmac after the S-Works Allez (both 2014).

I'll respectfully disagree. The only difference was road feel (personal preference will dictate if you rather aluminium or carbon) however overall performance of the Allez was "carbon performance for a fraction of the price".

hasbeen

by hasbeen

If by "road feel" you mean what is transferred to the rider from the road then I would say, in the long run, that is a huge drawback for alu. Yes, add wider tires blah blah blah but I am talking apples to apples, all else being equal, and all that.
I said even low end carbon rode better. Better is too vague I admit. It just happens to be how I felt about it.
Road shock transmission is a huge performance sapper. If that isnt what you meant by "road feel" then sorry about that.
btompkins0112 wrote:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

No, that's not what I'm saying.

'Road feel' is pretty much self explanatory. But here is a link where Paddy has done the job of further defining it for me.

Additionally, if you read the link above the quote from Chuck

Anyone who believes that all aluminum bikes have a harsh ride has not ridden a good, current frame

is spot on.

andyindo

by andyindo

TP knows his stuff. Top Alu can compete with top Carbon. They feel quite different though and thats a personal preference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com