2012 Ridley Damocles RS

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Quinn039

by Quinn039

10mm below with a 5 on top is the same as i run. if you use the stock expander, just make sure it's tight.

EightySixer

by EightySixer

That's what I plan on doing. It's gotten an aluminum sleeve that fits in between the inside of the steerer tube and expander plug on mine. I help out at a boutique shop (Cervelo, Moots, Wilier to name a few we sell) and the cervelos I build use a bonding compound to hold the sleeve in place on their steer tubes (most made by 3T). I've never used a sleeve on my bikes, I have a BMC crit bike with a 3T Funda and just used a standard star nut on it and it's working fine, I ride that thing hard too. I'm wondering if I should use some of the compound and bond that sleeve in there when I get the steer tube cut and all set and proper. I got the Damo for one real big reason over other frames- the geo is nearly EXACTLY the same as my BMC. The only difference is the seat tube is a half a degree steeper and a slight difference in chain/seat stay length (nbd I figure). I want to have the fit dialed just like my crit bike so when I hop on the road racing (Damo) there won't be much by way of adjusting to the setup.

Think I should use the FSA plug and topcap or can I swap it out with something a little lighter... And I want a carbon topcap! Not a big fan of the 6mm aluminum it came with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EightySixer

by EightySixer

Sorry so long a post! Can anyone suggest a decent finishing kit that won't put me in debt for the rest of my life? I can't afford AX Lightness, Tune and the other ultra high end stuff. I'm thinking 3T will be my best bang for buck weight and quality wise. Any other suggestions? I want to go carbon bar carbon seatpost Alu stem. I would LOVE to put the 3T Olympic edition on it but all I can find is a post and bar- no 110 stems to be found anywhere so far. Still up in the air about all white or all black finishing kit too. Not sure what would look better? The Asteria looks pretty nice in all white from the pics I saw.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

I like the black bits on mine... as for the steerer... just use whatever you would normally do, i really dont think they are nay more fragile than anyone elses. just dont use a star nut and you should be good to go.

EightySixer

by EightySixer

Awesome, thanks for the input. I think I'm going to swap it out with a KCNC expnder type Plug/Top Cap. I like the color options being an all white and black accented frameset, I can do anything I want color wise but I think I'll end up going all black with gold ferules, top cap, barrel adjusters ect. for accents.

I dont know how to post a pic- If someone could be so gracious as to tell me how I'll post a pic of how it sits- and I'll update pictures as the build goes on. I think it'll look great with some all black handbuilts or all black Ksyriums too. I'm a super nerd I hate having mis matched components on my bike, I like the aesthetic to all be uniform. 3T I think is my best dollar to weight ratio option with a few other nic nacs thrown in there from other companies. The KCNC expander plug looks pretty nice and will shave a few grams from the FSA stock one too.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

agreed. I like my Thomson stuff... but if you want a carbon post that wont fly.

As for the pictures. if you start a new thread, go into the post page and there is the row of icons for "bold", "italics" etc... to the right youll see and 'Img", click that and then past in and IMAGE URL (make sure its not just the page url where your picture is), and youll be good to go from there. (basically your pictures need to be posted elsewhere on the internet so you can grab an IMAGE URL, i use my pinkbike account)

EightySixer

by EightySixer

Okay I understand how it works now. I'll have to make a third party account and load my pictures onto there so I can post a link. Slowtwitch is kind of like that also. Thank you for the instruction Quinn!

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Alright so the "need to change things" itch is getting to me, but I want to make the changes worth while of course. The main one will be a longer version of the Thomson stem, ill use the 90mm on a planned cx/commuter build in the summer. The other thing i was thinking about were some new QR skewers. The Mavic ones im running now are rather portly.

These are the ones ive got in mind... any suggestions, cautions, options?

new ultimates in white

kcnc groovings in black (with gold)

both are priced similarly (unless someone knows where i can score a deal as I cant get these through work), and weights are within a few grams. (half of what my current skewers weigh basically)

EightySixer

by EightySixer

KCNC gets my vote. Where did you find them at? Fairwheel?
I'm building my 2012 with 3T London Edt. Finishing kit/Ksyrium SLS's and gold accents- I got KCNC ferruls, seatpost clamp, der clamp ect but haven't picked up skewers or decided on a grouppo yet.
They would look very nice on the mavic's, and I think I read the mavic skewers are rediculously heavy too.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

okay... so one vote for the KCNCs.

Your build sounds great so far, I almost went for the 2013 Ksyrium SLS C's with all the white when I was picking my wheels... getting tired of waiting for my rims and hubs for the build i ended up doing. Are those the ones youl be using? They will look spectacular with the frame. I also considered gold bits for mine (was going to do gold King hubs)... but stuck with the black and white theme.

For a gruppo... any shimano kit would be great, I love the way it all shifts and the weight penalty kind goes hand in hand with this frame, all about strength, smoothness, and reliability over extreme lightweight. That being said a nice Campy record set up would be great too.

Thanks for the feedback.. im still debating (i just like the white/black a lot... but dont know about strength/quality of the N.U.'s)

Quinn039

by Quinn039

oh, and i did find them on fairwheel.

the 3t olympic stuff is really cool, nice and unique!

EightySixer

by EightySixer

Hopefully this works.
The wheels I have to pick up at the shop yet and I'm piecing the rest together. Stem is on the way and I'm getting matching bars.
Groupset I'm leaning towards Sram Force22 but we'll see when the time comes.

EightySixer

by EightySixer

Okay clearly I need a walkthrough on posting pics.

I'm trying to post the Damo build Ive started but I'm having trouble,

What did I do wrong? This is awfully complex just to get a picture on the forum!
ANY help would be so appreciated! Quinn I tried to follow what you did and setup a pinkbike account and all. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Quinn039

by Quinn039

when you go into the full "Post Reply" section (not the quick reply thing, clicking 'full editor' in there should also get you where you need to be) you are going to take the URL that you get by right clicking the image and selecting "copy image location". This copied information you will use once you click the "Img" box at the top of the text entry area... this will come up:

[img ][/img]

paste the information between the two bracketed bits of text and, when posted, your image should appear.
Last edited by Quinn039 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Quinn039

by Quinn039

you can also do all this stuff when you're starting your new build thread/topic, not just when posting replies in existing threads.

here's your pictures (just found them on PB through the photo section)

looks awesome, such a great frame eh?

and I actually really like the seatpost too.