Aluminum tubular climbing wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prebsy

by prebsy

Hi all, I'm in the market to build some alloy tubulars up into a set of light climbing wheels. So to clear up the first question so it doesn't come up AT ALL "Why not carbon hoops?"
If you plan on going up you have to come back down. As a cat. 2 racer, Idk too many races that are point to point and finish on top of a Mountain. So.... going down on carbon. I don't fear catastrophic results descending on carbon. I have own(ed) many carbon wheels and trust them all, BUT! Carbon wheels suck in the braking department, we all know this, we all down play it, we all talk about the new technology and the improvements... But seriously they suck, and do not inspire confidence.

Now that that is dealt with, hopefully, I have searched high and low for all the info on tubular rims and found only a few in the right weight range. The velocity escape, ambrosio crono f20 and the DSR 299??? In fact the last one was very briefly referenced in a 2 year
old thread and I can find very little info on these rims.
My goals for this wheelset are to be light (<1300g), stiff(ish) and cheap (hence the hub choices).
I made a little wheel weight calc in excel and made a few builds. I would like some feedback and if there are any other options out there please enlighten me. :thumbup:
thanks, EP
Edit: 75kg fatboy I is

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gravity

by gravity

Excellent thread!

My opinion on saving 100 - 150 grams of weights on wheel to me is not the way I'd do. I have a kinlin XR200 laced to Campag Record hubs. The idea of that built is not to have light wheelset (obviously) but to have a decent wheel with decent hub without being a boat anchor and with the cost that wont break the bank.

I cant say I'm truely happy with that built as I think the XR200 is too light and wont accomodate to my weight (72kg-75kg). Felt some flexes and had to go to the truing stand after 1500km. But I have to mention that I abuse this wheels: potholes, humps and bumps, everything.

If I were to do it again, i'd definitely get the XR270 or the Archetypes or the Pacenti SL23 - if the bank allows it.

My point is, saving 100 -150grams on wheel is unreasonable. The benefits you get (sturdy and stronger wheels, reliability) will out weigh the weight penalty. Get the Nemesis.

vdrey

by vdrey

I can't comment on rim choices, but I do have some opinions:

1) You can't go wrong with bikehubstore. Great service and great prices.

2) I recommend you look at the Dati hubset. I have built a set of wheels with them, and they are quite great. They are light, engage quickly, and sound like somewhat Chris King hubs, which is the most important part isn't it

kavitator

by kavitator

ambrosio f20

thprice

by thprice

vdrey wrote:... look at the Dati hubset...

Suggest do a little research on Dati ... A number of people (myself included) have experienced the DS bearings collapse after approx 7000km.
Note: PM me if you want a cheap unused Dati hub set :lol:

synthesis

by synthesis

Ambrosio Nemesis rims would be my recommendation. Light and stiff.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mackers

by Mackers

synthesis wrote:Ambrosio Nemesis rims would be my recommendation. Light and stiff.

As awesome as the Nemesis rims are, they are definitely not light.
The last two I weighed were well over 450 grams.

FWIW lately the Cronos aren't as light as TS assumes either, so I'd sacrifice 40-50 grams by using Montreals instead, and put the extra money in better hubs.

prebsy

by prebsy

The nemesis is definitely way too heavy. Any word on the velocity escapes?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Nemesis are 490-500g. Chrono's are 380-390g. I would use the velocity Escape personally. Other wise if I was building for myself I would use DA 9000 hubs. Spoke choice is what I would use too, alloy nips will be fine I use them a lot in builds.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Not sure where the 500gm Nemesis weight is coming from. I've built up 6 sets of these wheels over the past year and a half and they've all been ~465gm. Except for a pair from 2009. These had a slightly different anodization, being more of a bronze colour than the current grey. But both those rims were 445g. I really like them. Don't like machined brake tracks strictly because of the look. They work fine however. But the non-machined Nemesis brake tracks have a superb feel. So nice compared to carbon. I'm completely on board with what the OP is saying about it being one thing to get up the mountain but if you want to have a fun controlled ride going down, carbon brake tracks can be less than confidence inspiring.
Last edited by Calnago on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prebsy

by prebsy

I'm looking at the black escapes. They are my first choice given their relatively low weight and availability of drillings.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LouisN

by LouisN

I wouldn't personnally go 20/24 with the Escapes at your weight and race level. It's a pretty tiny rim.

And they're very tough to find outside AUS below 28h.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com