"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Tapeworm wrote:
stella-azzurra wrote:One other thing to consider to being able to remain in a "flat back" position on the bike is really your core abs support. If your abs are not strong enough then the lower back, shoulders and triceps and neck muscles will have to compensate. Strong core abdominal support will allow you to hold that position without much stress to the lower back muscles.
One of the main reason people have back pain is the small, weak abdominal muscles covered in a few layers of what? Yeah you guessed it :up:

There is so much wrong with that statement I can't even start to correct it.

I can't even begin to express my gratitude for once.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

DanW

by DanW

Apologies if this might have already been covered.... but is this fo' real?!

It was announced last week that Kazakhstan was adding a second cycling team to the sport, with the new Vino4Ever outfit joining the UCI ranks as a Continental team in 2014.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

should have named the team 'Dat VINO lyfe' for more internet points.

he really is an icon there isn't he

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Proper Pro Position
Discuss!

KWalker

by KWalker

Adam Hansen sure believes in doing core work, as does the Sky team. Who the hell knows what difference it makes, but I've yet to hear of it hurting anyone.

That position would kill my upper arms and really in the end all we are talking about here is the degree of elbow bends which is pretty tertiary if the other points are setup properly. I haven't seen that many riders (including Ryder) that have their bars so low that they're not able to cruise functionally, however, there are lots of riders who still have their seat positions quite a bit off and tend to be unable to ride anywhere but the front inch of the seat under effort (Rolland, Contador, etc.).

Anyways, MTN is on Sram hydraulic brakes, switched to FSA and Selle Italia as well:

Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

ultimobici wrote:Proper Pro Position
Discuss!

nothing to discuss.

bikes with low positions look awesome
cars with low positions look awesome
low = awesome

looking awesome is like the goal of all this isn't it? blythe's bike is solo solo. He isn't winning recent races, but he's won my heart.

anyone know what porte's frame size is? for no reason other than, he's kinda small, im kinda small, so that's a similarity.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

ultimobici wrote:Proper Pro Position
Discuss!

Proper 'attacking' position for a guy (I know not just any guy) on a 70's bike.

Different position for a bike made in 2013.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Just looking at the two photos... the drops on the 70s rider look to be at about the same height as the hoods on the Sky riders bike (relative to front wheel). I suspect anyone could adopt a low/flat position like that for a photo. Maintaining it is the key.

KB

by KB

I suspect anyone could adopt a low/flat position like that for a photo. Maintaining it is the key.

Which in DeVlaeminck's case he could. There are some great pics of him in the Brooklyn kit when he's just as flat as that. Fantastic rider and the coolest.

KWalker

by KWalker

flat doesn't always mean more aero or even better. Lots of factors at play. Lots of tricep contraction with the elbows in that position, which isn't really fun/necessarily efficient. Sean Yates used to do the opposite, but I'm sure some will say that since he didn't win Roubaix that that's proof that it didn't work.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

forget all that.....sram need to rethink the hydraulic brakes if we're all on an aero 'reducing frontal area' tip. Those look like skyscraper hoods on the mtn bike!

Rob81

by Rob81

that extreme pelvic retroversion is not very good as a functional element. Maybe good for eyes and/or nostalgic/retro eyes, not much for his L4 and 5 and his psoas.
Among modern riders Wiggins and Cancellara are 2 examples of good pelvic fit

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

that trek means sram hydro road brakes for direct mount?cool!!!

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

KWalker wrote:flat doesn't always mean more aero or even better. Lots of factors at play. Lots of tricep contraction with the elbows in that position, which isn't really fun/necessarily efficient. Sean Yates used to do the opposite, but I'm sure some will say that since he didn't win Roubaix that that's proof that it didn't work.

you mean this Sean Yates? with the impossible lever position? I'll guessing he wasn't getting out of the saddle much in the mountains.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Anyway... Moving on. New shoes for Adam Blythe.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com