Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aerozy

by aerozy

Dave that bike looks amazing!

Mize your bike should be sweet as well. But if I were you I would skip the enve 6.7's. I have a pair and they are my worst wheelset. I have zipps 404's/808's, reynolds 46s/66s, shimanos 7850's, corimas MCC's, mavic ultimate's and the enve's have been relegated to bad weather wheels. They have a poor finish, not that stiff, not that light, not that aerodynamic and most importantly no WOOSH sound! hehe :) You'd be better off with the SES series

Mize wrote:Bit the bullet and ordered an AR1/Red-22/Enve 6.7/Zipp cockpit build today. My first Felt and quite different coming from a Tarmac.
Question for Dave: you said 1021g, site says 1.9kg. Even if your number leaves out the fork, that's a big difference. Or is 1021g without fork, seatpost and BB?

Thanks.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

Mize

by Mize

aerozy wrote:Dave that bike looks amazing!
Mize your bike should be sweet as well. But if I were you I would skip the enve 6.7's. I have a pair and they are my worst wheelset. I have zipps 404's/808's, reynolds 46s/66s, shimanos 7850's, corimas MCC's, mavic ultimate's and the enve's have been relegated to bad weather wheels. They have a poor finish, not that stiff, not that light, not that aerodynamic and most importantly no WOOSH sound! hehe :) You'd be better off with the SES series

Sorry, I am going SES 6.7s, not the older ones. I've read a bunch of reviews of the SES 6.7s and they seem to be favored over the 404 FCs...?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TomUK

by TomUK

Mize, I think aerozy is talking about the classics not the SES wheels.

Mize

by Mize

Hey Dave, which brake did you put on the back end of that build? Right now I'm planning on putting an Ultegra even if that's a bit of a mis-match for the rest of the group as I don't see any SRAM brakes that will fit the chainstays/BB. Thanks.

aerozy

by aerozy

yeah sorry guys... I meant the older classic enve's. Not the SES's.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Dave, looks like that bike is running the new Zipp Service Course SL beyond black stem?

What bars are those?

Bridgey

by Bridgey

I live in Australia. I am interested in the Felt AR Red 22 build. The problem is that it seems to only come in white? Am I able to get it in black like the AR2. Looking forward to making the purchase. When is it coming to Australia?
Also I read earlier that it was mentioned that mechanical adds about 6 or 7W in aero drag? Is this correct. Can you explain why this is, as isn't it only 2 thicker cables that are out in the wind? Very impressive bike by the way. I almost put my money down on the Giant Propel until I saw the Felt AR series. I'm glad I didn't now.

Thanks in advance.

DMF

by DMF

Seems reasonable enough, but I reckon that is with the typical sloppy cable jobs that complete bikes come with and where careless mechanics can't be bothered to do better. With care and attention you can often run the front brake/front shift and rear brake/rear shift cable together for a big part of their length infront of the head tube, a little insulating tape will keep them tightly together, instead of the typical snakes' nest that comes from not cutting the housing to absolutely perfect length where you will end up with four separately exposed sections of housing. No doubt the rear derailleur loop will add some drag though...

Twinning

by Twinning

Sorry if this has already been described but I can't seem to find it anywhere. How does the 2014 ar1 compare to the old ar1 in stiffness. I know there was something about the new ar frd being stiffer faster and lighter. But for those of us without electronic shifting would be interested in the numbers for new ar1 to old ar1.

Also, if we buy a frameset where can we pick up a "f" brake and is there a known cost yet?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Much stiffer...search around, they released some aero info/comparisons...and also made claims about some really good stiffness numbers up there with the best in the aero category. Most Dave has mentioned in this thread.

Of course, most of that likely applies to the FRD model for stiffness, but the aero should apply the same on the FRD/AR1.

Brake, no idea, question for Dave...

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Twinning wrote:
Also, if we buy a frameset where can we pick up a "f" brake and is there a known cost yet.

You can use any "direct-mount" brake. You can find Shimano Dura Ace & Ultegra (I think) versions. Bontrager also makes one, and the new Parlee ESX was shown with a version from eeBrakes, but this one is not available for purchase yet.

Enviado de meu Nexus 4 usando Tapatalk

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I am told Tekro's T740 or T750 will also fit.
Just ride ..

Twinning

by Twinning

These brakes all look different what felt has shown. It looks like the brake is a center pull rather than from the side. Do they all work the same? Maybe the center pull makes the bike even more aero by .005 watts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mize

by Mize

Does anyone have info on this "F-brake"?
I spec'd my AR1/SRAM-R22 build with an ultegra brake for the rear, but if there's better I'd like to know...

Bridgey

by Bridgey

AndreLM wrote:
Twinning wrote:
Also, if we buy a frameset where can we pick up a "f" brake and is there a known cost yet.

You can use any "direct-mount" brake. You can find Shimano Dura Ace & Ultegra (I think) versions. Bontrager also makes one, and the new Parlee ESX was shown with a version from eeBrakes, but this one is not available for purchase yet.

Enviado de meu Nexus 4 usando Tapatalk

Yes I was wondering the same thing. But what is meant by "direct mount"?
Also SuperDave can you answer my question about whether you can get the AR3R (Red 22) bike in a colour other than white. I really like the black frame, but want the SRAM Red build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com