Wide range 10 speed cassette options

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Getter

by Getter

Anybody know of reliable vendors from Europe? All I can find is 242usd + ship on Ebay.

Thanks!
Last edited by Getter on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

R2 sells a lot of Leonardi stuff. Ordered a stem from them for a friend and it came pretty quickly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't see the cassette on their site...but found it here: http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k750/a ... 27&cr=USD#

mentok

by mentok

i didn't need to see this - i had already decided that while xx1 sounded great, it was just too expensive to warrant. now i have yet another thing to waste money on :\

are there any other cassette "top-ends" like these, going up to ~40t? also, how are these for longevity?

Getter

by Getter

So far...Leonardi is the only company that has something like this...that I'm aware of. It seems like durability is either hit or miss. I read some people were "shark teething" them in a few months. That may be in muddy conditions. I live in So Cal...so its pretty dry and dusty here.

For me it seems like a worthwhile buy. The cost of the XX1/X01 cassette is off the wall. All I need is the cassette top and the Raceface Narrow Wide 30T ring up front and I'll have fairly wide range 1x10 setup.

There is another company called Trickstuff...but theirs is a whole cassette and there is no info on when it will be available.

mateusz

by mateusz

I got mine from actionsports.de
They got all the models of Leonardi adapters, and the price is the lowest
http://www.actionsports.de/Leonardi-Factory:.:276.html

ridonkulus

by ridonkulus

There is also a guy on MTBR or maybe eBay that makes a custom 42t chainring that goes on the backs of an 11-36 cassette, might be an option.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Recon is doing two versions of 10 speed 11-40 cassettes.

They have one that uses steel cogs for the 11-28 and then aluminum for the 32, 36, 40. 312 grams claimed.

They have another that uses ti cogs for the 11-28 and then aluminum for the 32, 36, 40. 280 grams claimed.

While I haven't gotten any of them yet, my understanding is that they are available.

Getter

by Getter

I saw that on your Facebook post.

Do you have an ETA on when you'll have them in stock...if you're planning on carrying them?

ridonkulus wrote:There is also a guy on MTBR or maybe eBay that makes a custom 42t chainring that goes on the backs of an 11-36 cassette, might be an option.

I saw that on Ebay. You have to remove one of the middle cogs to use it?

Getter

by Getter

http://www.oneupcomponents.com

Found this. Price is a lot more reasonable. Think this is the route I'm going.
A write up on it.
http://knobblytyres.com/oneup-component ... -36-11-42/

mentok

by mentok

looks good, but where does one find a lone 18t sprocket to make the gear spacings a little more sensible?

Getter

by Getter

That's a good question. I have an extra 1070 cassette. Not sure if the cog on that is compatible with the 1030 cassette on my mountain bike.

I guess when you get something that is not factory...there will always be some kind of compromise.

jooo

by jooo

mentok wrote:looks good, but where does one find a lone 18t sprocket to make the gear spacings a little more sensible?

You serious? You've never seen loose cogs before? A 2 second ebay search could find one for you, along with pretty much any LBS.

IMO the OneUp seems like a very poor alternative to the General Lee. By the time you purchase a loose cog to fix up the terrible jump right in the middle of the cassette (where in theory it should be the least desirable place to have poor gaps), you're going to spend about the same amount of money and have something with worse shifting that weighs more. How can that be a good choice?

Getter

by Getter

Here is what the jumps would be if you removed the 17 and 19, then added the 18T...2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4-6

Getter

by Getter

Ended up ordering the 42T from OneUp. Going to pick up the 18T from Miche a see how that works out.

Only thing is that OneUp won't ship till mid January.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com