Misalignment in all campagnolo derailleurs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sam

by Sam

I recently made the switch to Campagnolo (yeah, congratulations and stuff). I bought Chorus levers and Athena rear derailleur. The rear derailleur was unfortunately not working well so I took it to my LBS. They checked the hanger as the frame was new as well, and It was off by a little bit. But still the problem with the derailleur remained.

The pulley/jockey wheels together with the cage were not aligned. In fact, the pulleys were so misaligned in more that one direction that it could easily been seen both assembled on bike and when not. The upper pulley was so off that it rubbed extensively the inner of the cage.

As I bought the derailleur online, I sent it back and bought a new Athena derailleur to use during the reclamation period. Now, it seems that the new derailleur has the same problem with the misaligned pulleys(!), just less exaggerated.

Is this how Campagnolo derailleurs are designed, or am I just very very unlucky?

synthesis

by synthesis

I just had a look at my Record Ti. an Centaur rear mechs. and did not find any misalignment on those. The Record is an older one (the one with Carbon cage) and the Centaur is new (2013)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

It would be quite unusual. Is there a problem when riding or shifting?

The upper pulley is designed to "float" a little, perhaps that is what you are seeing.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Sam

by Sam

The problem is shifting to a larger sprocket. The chain rubs towards the inside of the cage a little bit to much.

If you check this document: http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/do ... 3_2013.pdf
Image 6 and 11 suggest that the jockey wheels should not be aligned vertically, but they should at least be parallel. Which none of the two I have encountered have been.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The upper jockey is designed to be able to wobble. If the RD is not centered on the sprocket, the the chain will pull the jockey wheel to the side, so perhaps that is what you are seeing. Try adjusting the RD. I would not read too much into those drawings, which looks like a drafting error to me.

One.

michel2

by michel2

Like jullio says all upper pulley's have sideway's movement to make for better shifting.
Check if the cage is perfectly parallel with the gears, weather the derailleur is tight and straight.line up the derailleur with your smallest cog and go from there, also make sure the inner cable is mounted on the right (not the wrong) side of the bolt on the derailleur.

Really your lbs shouldn't have troubles fitting a derailleur, makes me sad

michel2

by michel2

Like jullio says all upper pulley's have sideway's movement to make for better shifting.
Check if the cage is perfectly parallel with the gears, weather the derailleur is tight and straight.line up the derailleur with your smallest cog and go from there, also make sure the inner cable is mounted on the right (not the wrong) side of the bolt on the derailleur.

Really your lbs shouldn't have troubles fitting a derailleur, makes me sad

mattr

by mattr

michel2 wrote:Really your lbs shouldn't have troubles fitting a derailleur, makes me sad
He's in Gothenburg. The shops here rarely see campag. And on the whole, aren't very good.
The whole market is pretty much stitched up by the mainstream OE manufacturers. Asking for spares for anything other than shimano, mavic, sram, look and so on its met with blank stares and confusion.

OP, If you are still struggling, drop us a line. I might be able to help. And I'm pretty local.

Sam

by Sam

Who are "us"? Any help is appreciated.

My LBS is respected and did try to bend the cage straight.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Sam wrote:My LBS is respected and did try to bend the cage straight.

Ouch!

And this is with a brand new RD from a reputable source?

In many years of buying, installing, and reading threads about Campy equipment, this is a first.

There is nothing special about the installation of a Campy RD, if you know what you are doing.

Hard to diagnose this online. A few pictures might help.

One.

Sam

by Sam

Exibit A: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7iOKf ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exibit B: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7iOKf ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DMF

by DMF

Sorry for a little OT, but as the subject came up. Exactly how does the laterally moving top pulley increase shifting accuracy? Unless it corrects for a misaligned indexing or a slightly bent hanger ofcourse, but assuming all things aligned to absolute perfection, shouldn't a laterally fixed pulley shift with less "lag-time"?

Microscopic differences, I know, just curious. I've always ditched the lateral pulleys even when brand new and use fixed ones instead.

mattr

by mattr

Sam wrote:Who are "us"? Any help is appreciated.
Sorry, colloquial English. Us = me.

Sam wrote:My LBS is respected and did try to bend the cage straight.
Just out of interest, which shop is it, as the half dozen or so I've tried in the area, only one has managed to get me to go back. (That's Uddevalla, Trollhättan and Göteborg)

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Campy used fixed jockeys with the first generation of C Record RD's in the '80's, and then discovered that shifting was better if a small amount of float on the upper one was allowed, and it's been that way ever since.

As for OP's pictures. I went and looked at a new RD and it's pretty much the same as pic 1. Obviously pic 2 shows chain rub which I would attribute to either poor RD setup, wrong chain, or both. An 11-speed chain should measure 5.5mm across the pins. Suggest a check.

One.

mattr

by mattr

DMF wrote:Exactly how does the laterally moving top pulley increase shifting accuracy? Unless it corrects for a misaligned indexing or a slightly bent hanger ofcourse, but assuming all things aligned to absolute perfection, shouldn't a laterally fixed pulley shift with less "lag-time"?
The floating pulley has several functions, it allows the shift gates to work 'better', it allows for slight mismatches in alignment, it allows you to over shift slightly (when your chain/cassette is on its last legs) and so on. If everything is perfectly adjusted, you don't need it. If you like to ride more than tinker, it allows more time between tinkering sessions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com