Similar bars to Zipp SLC2 Traditional?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

n1klass

by n1klass

I'm looking for a bars that have a similar bend to that of the SLC2 Trad bar from Zipp. A bar with a classic bend but where it's possible to ge a nice flat angle to the hoods. Anyone know if there are any out there?

gospastic

by gospastic

I think PRO round bend is kind of similar. I think the bars you pictured there are the aluminum Zipp bars though, which are a little different shape than the carbon ones. I have SLC2 TB bars and the shape is rounder and smoother looking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Take a look at the new Thomson Road bar.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

gospastic

by gospastic

The Thomson bars are shaped more like a compact bar.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

With moving your shifters up high like you did any bar will give you that nice flat top. Why not lower the shifters a bit so your hands get a bit cradeled by the bar and shifters when you are riding on the hoods?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

gospastic wrote:The Thomson bars are shaped more like a compact bar.

Mebbe so, but I've got them on my ride now and they are rounder than the Zipp Contour SL bar that I took off...

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I have just about every make of classic bend bars on various bikes. My current favorite are the Pro round bars. I have one bike with the Vibe 7s and another with a Vibe carbon.

They have a nice flat transition on every shifter I've tried and are stiff. The alu bar is rock solid, with the carbon bar having a bit more give.

gospastic

by gospastic

carlislegeorge wrote:
gospastic wrote:The Thomson bars are shaped more like a compact bar.

Mebbe so, but I've got them on my ride now and they are rounder than the Zipp Contour SL bar that I took off...

The ones in the FS section? Those are Short&Shallow, not Traditional Bend.

echappist

by echappist

n1klass wrote:I'm looking for a bars that have a similar bend to that of the SLC2 Trad bar from Zipp. A bar with a classic bend but where it's possible to ge a nice flat angle to the hoods. Anyone know if there are any out there?

could just be optics, but the hook section doesn't look that round

one thing that may interest you is the 3T Tornova, whenever 3T decides to release it. it ain't light though at 280g for the alloy version

0nelove

by 0nelove

3T Rotundo is pretty similar. I had the Zipps on one bike and the 3Ts on another, both felt really close. I seem to remember hte 3Ts were a little shorter from back to front than the Zipps...

gospastic

by gospastic

I had Rotundos at one time. They are different. With classic bend bars you can't really get a flat hood-bar transition while keeping the bottom part of the bar pointed in a reasonable and usable direction. Same goes for Ritchey Classics, Deda Newton Shallows.

juanacity

by juanacity

Pro Vibe 7s Round is pretty much exactly what you are asking for I believe. I thought that was the what I wanted until I actually got one in my hands. The transition from the top horizontal part of the bar is pretty much flat with the hoods.

What I really want is a bar that is relatively short and shallow with a classic round bend, but that also has a bit of dip between the horizontal flats and the hoods of the shifters. Something like in the picture I have linked to below. Any suggestions? Maybe the current Ritchey WCS Classic or Deda Newton Shallow?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pho ... frd/252128

headwind816

by headwind816

The bars in the picture (I believe) are the PRO PLT traditional bend. You could also checkout Cutter CF traditional bend bars; Chainlove at one time was selling them for something stupid low like $70. Those bars weighed around 198g on my scale.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Easton slx3 has a version that's similar

boots2000

by boots2000

SLX3 is not at all similar- it is more like a compact bar.
It is much shorter reach than Zipp (75mm for Easton).
It does have a nice and flat transition though.
The newest Version of the Zipp bars comes in 3 reaches- the 80mm reach might be just what you are seeking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com