New-ish member in London UK

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Klarion

by Klarion

Hi. I've been a member for a couple of months, and before joining I was browsing the forum for a while, so I thought I should at last get round to putting up a post. I cycle for commuting and (non-competitive) leisure, and in the last few years I've got interested in putting better (or, at least, different) components on bikes to improve the ergonomics etc; and then the idea of 'building' a bike.

This is / was my first such effort, based on an old Schwinn Fastback Comp which was going quite cheap in a used bike shop in Hackney. It came with some 105 components which I kept, but pretty much everything else except the frame got discarded and replaced with various bits & pieces that took my eye, from the web or at a jumble sale. These were mainly 2nd hand but included a few luxuries eg Tune skewers and a ti BB from TA. Very helpful LBS did the difficult bits, like swapping out the BB.

Total weight of this bike including toestraps, bottle cage, bell and light fittings is 8.22 kg. OK, not exactly WW but it does make me think that with a more focussed approach I can put together a bike that will come in at under 7.5 kg while also running nicely and suiting me ergonomically and aesthetically. For this (prospective) bike so far I have acquired a Scott CR1 Team frame and EC 90 forks. The Extralite / Stans Alpha wheels (which I was very lucky to find 2nd hand at a bargain price) will be re-spoked with CX-rays and included in this project. I'm thinking of SRAM Red 2012 for the drivetrain etc.

I'm also currently working on two other projects, one based on a Lynskey Sportive frame, for light touring & wet weather; and the other for my girlfriend, using a lovely Chas Roberts steel frame and handbuilt wheels with Halo Retro rims, Novatec / Ambrosio hubs and DT Rev spokes. While obviously weight is not the main thing with these builds, I am looking to bring them in as light as possible given the other factors.

OK, so now I'm no longer merely a 'lurker' here :) . BTW, appreciation to all involved for the invaluable information in this forum.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Welcome.
Sounds like a few interesting projects on the go. Keep us posted on the progress of your Scott and Lynskey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

The Scott CR1 is a great base for a proper WW build. Looking forward to going through the process with you....and be sure to document as much as you can as thoroughness is appreciated by this crowd!

:welcome:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

That bike is how you do yourself an injury. Don't say you weren't told.

michel2

by michel2

Those fastback frames are ment to be quite light aswell !(;

Klarion

by Klarion

Valbrona wrote:That bike is how you do yourself an injury

Well sure, the front end of the bike is not exactly the most robust arrangement. BTW for the CR1 build, the height of spacers will be reduced a bit because the frame is a larger size.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

And what about where you put your ass? Do you not find that you slip forwards?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klarion

by Klarion

Valbrona wrote:And what about where you put your ass? Do you not find that you slip forwards?

From the picture I can see how you would ask that. The very steep-looking tilt of the saddle is illusory, due I suppose to the angle the photo was taken from combined with the upward slope of the top tube. Actually I do have the nose of the saddle tilted down a bit, but only by a couple of degrees I think.