1247 gram clinchers, everyday wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I bought the red TUNE/Alex rd400 wheels from Bikemessenger. Very nice, the set came in at 1268 grams....front was 566 rear 702. I already had a AC sprint wheelset that weighed 1300 grams on the nose...front 545 rear 755. So I am going to use the TUNE rear and the AC front....makes for a 1247 gram clincher set! Not bad for a everyday clincher wheelset!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sleg8

by Sleg8

Very nice. What's the spoking on them?

Any pics?
"All I ask is the heavens above and the road below"

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

24 front and rear...........pic of rear
Attachments
tune2.jpg

flying

by flying

cyclemanpat wrote:I bought the red TUNE/Alex rd400 wheels from Bikemessenger. Very nice, the set came in at 1268 grams....front was 566 rear 702. I already had a AC sprint wheelset that weighed 1300 grams on the nose...front 545 rear 755. So I am going to use the TUNE rear and the AC front....makes for a 1247 gram clincher set! Not bad for a everyday clincher wheelset!!

Congrats!
I know I was pretty impressed when Bikemessenger told me what he could build weight wise.
He is building me a set now. DT hubs Alex R370 rims cx-rays spokes.
I can hardly wait to see them ;)

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

Very nice. Love that red hub. Are they a true WW wheel or could they withstand my 175lbs "mtn" style road riding?

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

Bikemessenger weighs 181 lbs. and rides the Tune wheels...........so at 175 lbs. I think you would be safe. I am a MTB rider also, so I need to remember I am on the road at times!!

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

Cool, maybe I need to sign up for a set. :D

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

It is suppose to be 50 degrees and sunny here in Kentucky tomorrow, so we are going to do a 5 hour ride with many hills(i will suffer, but happy to be outside)......will be the first ride on the TUNE rear, I am excited.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

he can build them in a 28H rear fro more strength

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

I rode yesterday here in Ga and It was @ 43degrees, cloudy and some drizzle but I loved every minute of it. Peaceful Christmas day ride with almost NO traffic. Report back about the wheels when you get a chance.
8)

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I will report back tom. night about the wheel. I can't wait to ride............major cabin fever! Been getting some good MTB rides in, just to wet and cold for the road. CLIMB CLIMB

alienator

by alienator

Maybe Divve or Madcow could chime in here (sorry for the temporary thread hijacking): in desert clime (ok, Tucson), how would the Tune hubs stand up to everyday use? I thought I'd settled on DT hubs, but the Tune weight is pretty groovy. How do the Tune hubs function compared to DT 240s? And how does they roll compared to 240s?

Ripley451

by Ripley451

Shame he isn't over here, would probably order a set myself. Let me know how it rides. :D
Vorsprung Durch Tortë http://www.costablancacycling.com/

divve

by divve

alienator wrote:Maybe Divve or Madcow could chime in here (sorry for the temporary thread hijacking): in desert clime (ok, Tucson), how would the Tune hubs stand up to everyday use? I thought I'd settled on DT hubs, but the Tune weight is pretty groovy. How do the Tune hubs function compared to DT 240s? And how does they roll compared to 240s?

In my opinion Tune hubs are fine, unless you frequently ride in foul conditions. They probably seal pretty well when new. After some use however the grease level drops in the bearings and they'll be more susceptible to water and dirt intrusion. DT hubs on the other hand have labyrinth seals to counter this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

anubis

by anubis

what's the weight of such a rd400 rim?