Carbon Handlerbars for roadbike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Geoff wrote:+1. Ride what you like. Maggie rode a carbon bar in Paris-Roubaix and he is your size...

Did he? Do tell, because as far as I can recall Alessio were using ITM who only made carbon wrapped at the time.

em3

by em3

I realize this might have been posted before, but here is a must watch video for carbon naysayers:

The Santa Cruz test Lab
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/243228/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

em3 wrote:I realize this might have been posted before, but here is a must watch video for carbon naysayers:

The Santa Cruz test Lab
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/243228/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EM3

Problem is the way the frame snaps. Alloy crumples whereas carbon just snaps albeit at a higher point.

mattr

by mattr

Alloy can snap too.

And carbon can crumple.

All depends on the particular lay up/alloy/failure mode.

sawyer

by sawyer

Miller wrote:Carbon bar weight saving over alloy may not be huge but the shaping can be more sophisticated and they feel warm to touch rather than cold. I like carbon bars.

Anecdotal evidence, but the only broken bars I've seen have been alloy.

+1.

TBH this thread feels about 8 years old. Many of us will remember the alu bar die-hards ... just as light and look all the pros ride them.

Not for long.

Many/most pros now on carbon bars.

To the OP, your source may be knowledgeable but he needs to brush up on carbon bars.

I'm on Ritchey Evo Curves right now ... 230g ish and great shape and comfort. Had 179g Syntace bars on one bike for years ... they snapped in an impact that wrecked a helmet and a front tooth ... two 90kg riders riding over head after faceplant type impact :wink: Alu bars would have bent like a pipecleaner.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

sawyer

by sawyer

jimwhimpey wrote:Light alloy bars are general stronger and cheaper and barely weigh more than their carbon equivalents.

I just don't think it's worth it.

Be honest - have you owned and ridden carbon bars for an extended period.

Very few who have share your view IME.

DMF

by DMF

I recently T-boned with a car that hit me at high speed, it was a near miss. The first thing to hit the car was my left shifter (then my left shoulder). The shoulder was wrecked for weeks and hurt for months, the shifter was just a twisted piece of metal, completely wrecked, and the steer tube snapped right off in a twisting motion 2 inch above the crown race, this was a 4mm thick carbon tube.

The Zipp VukaSprint bar survived without a scratch, remember the shifter and left side handlebar took the first impact, I was barely at steering speed and the car did atleast 70km/h. Rebuilt the bike with new forks and shifter, inspected the bars, been riding them hard ever since...

I've hit the ground pretty hard with a 3T Ergonova Team too, still works fine years later.

mattr

by mattr

sawyer wrote:Very few who have share your view IME.
Meh, I've ridden both, extensively, and can take or leave carbon.

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

100 kilo from Islander background ... Ritchey Carbon Steam Bars 44c-c Ritchey Carbon Stem ....
Have sprinted hard many times ... not a drama
Had alloy bars .... and prefer never to go back
Told one of the guys who is a very well known sprint champ .... he laughed at weight rated statements and stated " unless there is a fault in the lay up that will cause it to fail ..... Carbon will be better than alloy "
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

sawyer

by sawyer

Clubagreenie wrote:100 kilo from Islander background ... Ritchey Carbon Steam Bars 44c-c Ritchey Carbon Stem ....
Have sprinted hard many times ... not a drama
Had alloy bars .... and prefer never to go back
Told one of the guys who is a very well known sprint champ .... he laughed at weight rated statements and stated " unless there is a fault in the lay up that will cause it to fail ..... Carbon will be better than alloy "

Sounds about right ... the alloy is as good brigade are quieter these days now pros have dumped alloy bars by and large.

Alloy bars offer one advantage - price.

Oswald

by Oswald

I used an the same Easton carbon mountainbike bar for both xc and marathon races for several years. It was on different bikes and survived over a dozen hard crashes. I still have it on one of my bikes.