DIY ADA/lightweight wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dwegan

by dwegan

Hi! I would like to talk to all of you home builder here that are experienced in bulding with carbon fiber....I am right now bulding my first carbon fiber frame "basicly the same tech as calfee uses and for my next projekt I'm looking into wheels and I think the lightweight/ADA construction dosnt look imposible to build.

I am new here so I could introduce myself...I am a swedish 22 year old bmx rider with an extreme bike fetish "all kinds" and I love Tech stuff..espcially the light kind.

So the wheel I want to build is 20" wheel for 20" tubular tires and aerodynamics are not intresting since this is a not a speed oriented bike..

So I have been thinking alittle on the construction part and I came up with that I would use carbon kevlar spokes but flat ones that go from one side to the othere and passing the hub on the otherside. for example the spoke starts at the right side of the rim go up to the left side of the hub and then to the right side of the rim again..... The good thing with flat spokes I THINK is that they can overlap eacthother quite easy without "bulding" then you can secure the spokes at the hubs the same whay lightweight does with a carbon fiber disc that is glued on top th ethe spokes....

if you guys find this intresting I can probebly get more into it but your help would be nice.

Best Regards

Daniel Wegan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

willf03

by willf03

So you want to build carbon bmx wheels?! :?

dwegan

by dwegan

willf03 wrote:So you want to build carbon bmx wheels?! :?

yes that is axactly what I want do do. and before you people start telling me that they wont hold up and o on and son..spare me...I have heard that about my bike projects without any real problems so...:)

willf03

by willf03

All I can say is good luck- and keep the rubber side down!

dwegan

by dwegan

willf03 wrote:All I can say is good luck- and keep the rubber side down!

ofcourse my horse:-)