Best pedals

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

konky

by konky

I'm planning a first MTB build having been a confirmed road cyclist for many a year. All my road bikes have Speedplay X1 pedals. I am thinking Speedplay frog Ti.

Anyone think this is a bad idea? I want light and price isn't a major issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

afalts

by afalts

Yeah skip the speedplay's for mtb.

XTR. If you need lightweight, eggbeaters - will be more maintenance though, especially in shitty conditions.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

SPD all the way. The only thing better, is eggbeater in extreme mud (and I mean extreme). But the eggbeaters are way more trouble.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

mattr

by mattr

Time, you get Shimano reliability and Eggbeating mud clearance.

miceden

by miceden

+1 for XTR, they rarely go wrong and don't seem to need anything more than a biennial grease change/check

DanW

by DanW

Started with Time Attacs which were functionally brilliant in all conditions but ultimately looked for lighter weight, then went to Crank Brothers for light weight but they got sloppy very quickly and had a pretty poor connection to the shoe. Lots of aftermarket spares and axles are nice if you did decide to go for Crank Brothers which means you can customise the Q-Factor but ultimately I was buying 2 or 3 pairs or pedals a year mainly from destroying the springs (axles and bearings also wore quickly but are cheaper to replace). Also the CB cleats needed changing frequently as they wear fast.

Tried XTR with Ti axles which were ok. Reasonably heavy but the connection with the shoe felt better than CB and cleats last much much longer. The downsides for me were the bearings which are just loose balls which I got through quite fast, very poor clogging on the latest XTR in the mud and an "icy" feeling in the internal/ external rotation of the foot as soon as they got wet.

I am currently riding a set of Xpedo XMF08TT at 215g for less than £90 and their function is 10 times better than the XTR pedals they replaced (already considered a great pedal by most). Sealed bearing are nice, no more wobbly axles from the stupid loose bearings and the Xpedo seem far better in mud- no clogging and actually stay supportive in these conditions unlike the "icy" XTR at the first hint of dampness. Since they use SPD cleats they also last ages like the XTR.

Clearly local conditions and riding style alter all of this but for muddy, harsh British conditions the Xpedo (or even Time Attacs) would be my pick.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Probably going to get the xpedo myself (after much research). Interested to know where you have found them for £90?

DanW

by DanW

Ebay from an Australian seller - they even arrived within the week too! Edit: Just checked and they seem to have gone up to £105 shipped. Still not too bad.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Thanks

cerro

by cerro

Crank Brothers Candy 11. Better stability than Eggbeater but still light and works perfect if you service them in time.

maxle

by maxle

The old 2Ti eggbeaters were very fine, a perfect mixture of price and weight, perhaps you still can get a pair on ebay ?
You only own a bike when you've violated every single term of guarantee.

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I used to run Eggbeaters until i tried Shimano. I can live with the weight and have had zero issues with durability. Neither has any of my frienss who have ridden single sets for more than 4-5 years.

I would live to try the new Look offerings and see how they compare. The one and only thing that bugs me about Shimano is that the system isn't very tolerable towards mud and especially gravel cought around your cleats.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

DanW

by DanW

The one and only thing that bugs me about Shimano is that the system isn't very tolerable towards mud and especially gravel caught around your cleats.

I'd agree with that. I can't recommend the Xpedo XMF08TT enough in that respect since you get the benefits of XTR but with a much more open design which doesn't clog up at all. Super, super impressed with the Xpedo

sstefanov

by sstefanov

+1 on the Xpedo XMF08TT. Comming from Time ATAC XS and Shimano XTR, the Xpedo is best of both worlds. Be sure to run the cleats that came with the XMF08TT. Also lubricate the springs like once in a year and they will work brilliantly.

Stefan

ratherbeintobago

by ratherbeintobago

afalts wrote:Yeah skip the speedplay's for mtb.

Speedplay are meant to be launching a new MTB pedal (Syzr), except it's now something approaching three years late to market.

Read into that what you will.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com