Reynolds 66 tubular

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markyboy

by markyboy

I am looking at this wheelset as they are really good deals on them at the moment to replace my mavic cosmic carbone slr.
Any info would be great,or should I stick with the mavic?
These are to go on my new ad10 c59
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Geoff

by Geoff

A friend of mine rode them when he was at Ag2r and really liked the Reynolds wheels.

Sorry, the ones he was on about were the RZR 46.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lannes

by lannes

refer post below
Last edited by lannes on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lannes

by lannes

markyboy wrote:I am looking at this wheelset as they are really good deals on them at the moment to replace my mavic cosmic carbone slr.
Any info would be great,or should I stick with the mavic?
These are to go on my new ad10 c59

I actually don't think you will notice a performance improvement over the Mavic CC Slr's with the 66's, it's basically a question of reducing rotational weight.
If you went to something like a 46 tubular wheelset with a light set of tubs (e.g Tufo Elite Jet <160), you be dropping around 600gms at the rim.
That would definitely make a difference.

Never did like the 66 profile, just a bit too deep for the front, especially if your frame has a light front end.
Reynolds did a package 46 front and 66 rear, I think that is a better combination.

For 2014 they are doing a 46 front and 58 rear combination.

IMHO 46 front and rear is the best, unless your doing TT's
The DT hubs are excellent and roll extremely well.

Stefano

by Stefano

My friend has these, they're awesome. He's pretty light and does a lot if riding in windy conditions, he only raves about them. Seems to like the dt240s too but in my experience they aren't a very stiff hub geometry-wise so if you're large or powerful that may be an issue. They are really smooth though, much more so than mavic

In my opinion/ experience, 66 is not too deep for the front at all, if you know what you're doing. They will be lighter and more aero than what you have now, so I'd go for it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Stefano, I couldn't agree with you more. I have the clincher version of these wheels (2012), and find them to be pretty good in the wind, up to a certain speed (around 20mph), at which point they become a pain. I use them on my TT bike, so that may have some effect on the handling at those speeds (particularly in crosswinds).

One problem is that the wheels only have 20 bladed spokes. On the few occassions where I have fitted these wheels to my road bike, the wheels were noodly. Admittedly, I am above Reynolds suggested weight for the wheels, but when compared to my old 24-spoke DV3K's, the difference was noticeable. In a sprint, you will notice the wheels flex. On a TT bike, this is less of an issue, because of the style of riding between the two styles is different, so just be aware of this.