SPAM attacks stopped, read this

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hi all,

One way to stop the spam attacks was to 'close the door' of the forum. Because of that new members can not register until we have found out what causes the leak.

Thank you for your patience,

Frank
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

mr_tim

by mr_tim

How about you leave a note saying that new members should email xx admin with proposed login details & get them to provide email details & then the admin can send across login & temporary password which needs to be reset after 1st login?

A bit clunky but would it take less time than doing all the deletes for spam I wonder?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Thanks for thinking with us. your idea seems logical, but when using the admin panel Juanmoretime and i can ban an IP and delete a user (with all of his posts) in a few mouse clicks.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

arcatern

by arcatern

what exactly happened? how were peoples spamming?

wojchiech

by wojchiech

Looks like recently more spambots have polluted the forums again.

Would a message board software update fix this at all? In the couple years I have been on this forum it seems like the board has never changed. I don't mind it stylistically, but I'm sure there is newer more effective anti-spam deterrents if this board was upgraded to something newer.

I would be willing to give a few shekels for the cause of upgrading this board, and I'm sure many other members here would as well. :beerchug:

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

NMX may correct me if I'm wrong, but the forums software is up to date as far as i know.

nmx

by nmx

Hello guys,

we closed the registration temporarily due to a massive spam flooding. Now, there is a further implementation in case to fight spam bots: New users & user with zero postings cannot add posts which contains HTML links. Let's hope that this is helping :D

greez,
Chris

derek

by derek

nmx wrote:there is a further implementation in case to fight spam bots: New users & user with zero postings cannot add posts which contains HTML links. Let's hope that this is helping :D

This feature is not working anymore? At least there's html link spam posts in the forums now.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

They are beginning to get through again. Not too many (usually 2-3 at a time)... just draw the attention of the mods and we will zap'em.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

Thanks for your diligence in dealing with this... It's a shame our world has come to this kind of intrusions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk