FarSports 38mm Carbon Clincher Review Thread, The

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

austinla

by austinla

upside wrote:I am interested in picking up another set of 38's that are 25mm wide.
If I had the wheels built with straight pull spokes, they do offer one hubset for that. Or, do I just have them built with the ED hubs 2.1.

I just updated a separate post about this exact rim, but not with straight pull spokes. They communicate fairly quickly once you get the ball rolling, and the guy I dealt with "Johnson" replied within minutes on several occasions, took photos of measurements in the moment and emailed them to me... it was amazing service.
Since they offer a straight pull hub in the build page on wheelsfar.com you'll be able to choose straight pull, but only with that hub.

Check out my posting on my initial thoughts. I haven't ridden them yet (rain), but the spokes are nowhere near the large cog... more room than my RS81 C35's offered. It might depend on lacing, though (I went with 2x1 Ed's, and now that I see the quality of the build, I wish I had chosen DT240's).

upside

by upside

Nice Trek!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

weenie wrote:Anyone used these or similar on a CX bike? I searched around but there's no much info/people who seem to have really risked it.

Yesterday I received my set of the LB 45mm clinchers. I had LB lace them 20/24 to my own DT240s with Pillar XPSR X-TRA1420 spokes. They'll mostly see road use but to start I will be trying them on my cross/winter bike with 33mm Grifo XS and latex tubes. I don't think 20/24H wheels are risky for cross I'll post a review pics over in the wide rims thread in a couple weeks.

Thought I would give the Pillar 1420's a try as they are the same profile and weight as CX-rays with significant $ savings.
Last edited by petepeterson on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

oops double post

FrY10cK

by FrY10cK

Nice photos. I'm ready to upgrade my old clincher wheelset and I'm going to look at Far Sports for sure.

This may be a dumb question. Is there such a thing as carbon tubeless?

pushstart

by pushstart

Hey, nice wheels -- and bike! I have been happy with my Farsports (50x24) wheels. I would recommend checking spoke tension, though. Mine were under tensioned, but easy to fix and have been true since.

kleinetako

by kleinetako

RE: Carbon tubeless

Yes, there is. I have a set of Farsports 38x23 that I had built with no spoke holes in the rim bed (Yoeleo and Light Bicycle also offer this) that I set up tubeless. Getting the tire on was a pain, but it sealed right up with a little sealant and has been problem free since.

You can also set up just about any wheel tubeless with Stans or Gorilla tape. Google Gorilla Tape tubeless, there's a post out there where someone did it on a Zipp 404.

pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, I originally set up my Farsports clinchers as tubeless with just two layers of Stans yellow tape. The problem I had was that tire fit on those rims was very loose, so getting them seated was tricky (I only have a floor pump). Anyway, I switched back to tubes (GP4000S), but they worked fine as tubeless other than the seating challenge.

austinla

by austinla

Ive ridden the wheels once so far and between being on a new bike and having new wheels, I can't give any sort of valuable feedback other than braking was fine... I was expecting something sub-par but it brakes great and quietly. I'll update if anything bad occurs in any way.

And I'll have to have spoke tensions checked soon... didn't think about that. they came in the mail as true as true gets, which I was excited about. Most brand new wheels have the slightest wobble or hop, almost unmeasureable, as it was with these, but nothing concerning.

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

Hi everyone, a good news, "everyone who buys wheels or rims during 25th Nov-25th Dec is able to enjoy 5% off, to cater for the coming Christmas Holidays". Might some of you get interests, pls feel free to contact me directly.

Merry X mas in advance.
Kind Regards.
Kyle Fu
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

austinla

by austinla

ride update. Did a simple 25 miles and have plenty of feedback on the wheels.

Weight: They spin up faster than my Bontrager Race TLR wheels, being 200+g lighter.
Aero: I was surprised to see that it was noticeably easier to hold speed. I don't know if I was going faster, technically, but I was exerting less effort and could see beyond the placebo effect. It was just enough to notice... nothing spectacular.
Braking: Noisy (squeaky) as I really got into them. I rode in a bike lane in traffic for part of the ride, and had a few chances to really slow quickly (or else), and alternating between front and rear probably made me look like the brakes were broken, but nothing negative to note. I can tell that the pads won't last forever as there's a little bit of crud on the edge of the pads (think pencil eraser shavings)
Sound: I didn't know this was a category until now. The wheels sound awesome at speed, sort of a whirring of hollow wind. Like a jet plane at idle, but the noise only came into effect at around 35mph, so its not heard often. The brake pads at high speed also sound sort of cool. But as the speed lowers the sound gets obnoxious and again, hoping that goes away soon.
Comfort: They are definitely comfortable with the 25mm width and 25c tires. No surprise there.
Handling: Again, no surprise, but they feel very stable in turns and inspire plenty of confidence.

austinla

by austinla

On push start's advice, I got the spoke tension checked and adjusted. The front ranged from 90-97 and max is 130. Rear was similar in range but a higher number and he didn't tell me. He evened up tension and they are perfectly true, no hop, so that's a bonus in itself. I did 8 hot laps at the Rose Bowl (3.1 miles) and really appreciated the aero wheels over the course of over an hour of riding.

I highly recommend the wheels. The mechanic thought they were Enve wheels with the decals removed :P

hetchins68

by hetchins68

NICE!!! ,
I'm ordering it soon F.38mm-R.50mm
same finish, hub and 25mm wide.

what do you think of the EDHub since you mentioned on your other post about rather getting DT240s hub?

thanks for the feedback! :beerchug:

adi13

by adi13

Hi All,

Looking at purchasing a set of 38mm carbons and was wondering which one out of the 2 is the better choice. I will be chossing the DT240 hub unless people think its a waste of money and if so which hub would you choose.

http://wheelsfar.com/2014-new-38mm-clin ... p-295.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://wheelsfar.com/38mm-clincher-whee ... p-303.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I weigh 175 and mainly ride flats.

Cheers

Adrian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

I am order a set today with the 38/50 combo and the wide 25's. This set I am having them build them up with the Yuhub with CXrays straight pull spokes. I hope those hubs/bearings will be an upgrade. Now I have a few months till Mr. Winter takes a vacation.