Training- Stiches

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I am regularly getting stiches 15km into my races.
I don't cramp up, but these stiches are a regular as clock work, always on lap 2.
Does anyone know the cause of stiches and how to manage them during a race?

Brian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

I was curious so I just found this on google.

Thick fibrous bands called ligaments extend downward from your diaphragm to hold your liver in place. When you run, your liver drops at the exact time that your diaphragm goes up, stretching the ligaments and causing pain. Humans have a fixed pattern of breathing when they run. They have a two to one breathing ratio, breathing once for each two strides. Most people breathe out when the right foot strikes the ground. When you breathe out, your diaphragm goes up, and at the same time, the force of your foot strike causes your liver to go down. This stretches the ligaments that attach the liver to your diaphragm, causing pain. So the cause of a side stitch during hard running is a stretching of the ligaments that hold the liver to the diaphragm and the cure is to relieve the stretching of the ligaments.

It goes on to suggest a a cure but its not ideal.

http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/1611.html
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

gentri

by gentri

Good article nikh.
I do agree with you about the cure that Dr. Mirkin suggests, although most of us are fit and our liver will be easily palpable, He goes on on suggesting to "press your hand deep into your liver to raise it up against your diaphragm" pressing on your liver would increase your pain maybe he means below the liver. Well, anyway if you do have a side stitch just stop your activity. :wink:

Bruiser

by Bruiser

That explains why I get a stich when I run, but why would I get one riding a road bike?

Brian

gentri

by gentri

Bruiser wrote:That explains why I get a stich when I run, but why would I get one riding a road bike?

Brian

Since cycling is low impact, experiencing a stitch is not caused by the above mentioned situation.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

It is a regular stitch, about 20km into my 33km race. I try to work it out and if I let off the gas I usually do, but I was in a lone break and Sat and wanted to stay away so I pushed on. Eventually the pain was too much.

Any ideas?

Brian

Incomplete Pete

by Incomplete Pete

I rarely get stitches when cycling, when it does it's only after a hard effort i.e. a sprint.

I'm curious as to why it occurs too now!

gentri

by gentri

Where is the pain? I know you mentioned on your side. Is it the lower or upper part of your abdomen? Left or right? when does the pain occur, breathing or is a constant pain?
Last edited by gentri on Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

On the right, beneath the rib cage, constant pain during a constant effort such as a breakaway.

Brian

Joey

by Joey

Bruiser

About 15 years ago I had a real time of it with side stitches. A friend told me to consentrate on breathing with my stomach, pressing it out on the inhale, sucking it in on the exhale (similar to yoga breathing). It worked like a champ. Took about 6 months to go away and hasn't come back once!

Oh yeah, thats just when you start running until you are warmed up!!! Not for the entire run, that would hurt!

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Out of interest, how long do you leave between eating and racing? Try eating your pre-race meal a little earlier and top it up with something like Extran between the meal and the race.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I did recognise a few years ago that if I missed a meal (lunch) I would get a stitch should I race late in the afteroon.
I eat at different times depending on the time I wake (my Sat's are very flexible). The stitches come when I push hard/time trial.

Was your theory I'm eating to early or late?

Thanks

Brian

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

I think you're eating too close to your event. You could either eat earlier or possibly load up more the night before, light snack a few hours before the race then just keep yourself topped up with an energy drink before the race.

Best thing to do is experiment in training or an insignificant race.

Superlite

by Superlite

The Marlboro Man giving training advice? Your not gonna recomend us smoking a pack every hour on the bike are you? :lol:

Just kidding dude, welcome to the board.

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

I just thought tobacco sponsorship could do wonders for cycling.
Imagine it, USPS presented by Lucky Strike. WOW!

Anyway its a real good weight loss supplement. Racing Drivers and models have been using it for years.............

Just kidding.

Cheers for the warm welcome guys!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com