Wheelset decision

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lanierb

by lanierb

You have lots of good options. I wouldn't use any wheel with a carbon brake surface for training. Main reason is they don't brake as well so it's not as safe, and as someone who is on the road 5+days/wk I think that matters a lot, but second reasons are they wear quickly when dirty (or wet and dirty from a passing shower) and also they can deform from overheating if you do big descents.

Do you already have nice race wheels? If not I might suggest keeping your training wheels and getting some 303 or 404 tubies or equivalent (e.g. HED Stinger 3's or 4's) for racing and special use. They are pretty light (~1200g) and very fast.

I personally use HED C2 rims for training. They build up to about 1450g with good hubs which isn't super light but is okay. Also they are not deep so not super aero but still more aero than regular wheels. However, I don't think there's anything better for every day training. They are strong and honestly due to the extra width they ride/handle better than anything I've ever ridden, and I've owned a lot of wheels. I bomb down twisty mountain roads passing everyone in sight and I feel rock solid even in the wet. You have to experience it to believe it. You wouldn't think that the rim would make that much difference to handling but it does -- especially compared with your Ksyriums, which in my experience handle like crap.
CLB

Wcl4

by Wcl4

I'm more in the camp of spend a bit less on wheels and use the rest for parts upgrades with your budget.

Anyone like Eastons? I have ec90 aero tubs and for the money (got mine on a one day close out deal from Nashbar for $800), I think they're great. Used is even less. 1350g, ceramic bearings, bomb proof. I also have ec90sl that are 100g less and equally as robust. The look is pretty bold, but they work well on my BMCs.

I weigh about the same as you, and I also have lightweight standards and mavic cosmic carbones. The Eastons are stiffer. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I love the Eastons more, I'm just saying I think they're a great value. I always have worries around rough roads or flat tires in the back of my mind when I'm riding on $2k wheels.

My 2 cents.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com