AEST light weight crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yumseyo

by yumseyo

Hi All, has anyone any experience with the AEST light weight crankset? They have a claimed weight of 494 grams (cranks and chainrings)? They look like they use a hollowtech bottom bracket? Does anyone know if the cranks just fit in Shimano Hollowtech bottom brackets ? Thanks for all your help !!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

voodoojar

by voodoojar

they make shitty parts., just my opinion but their stuff is crap.

Stefano

by Stefano

Wouldn't fool around with stuff like that, teeny CNC'd parts make me wince. This is one place it doesn't pay to be cheap, spend a little more or deal with the weight. For those, looks like either an octalink or square taper BB, which would be around 200g anyways, negating alot of the weight advantage. Get a red exogram or something off ebay, you'll be much happier

yumseyo

by yumseyo

Thanks for the advice. I almost pulled the trigger on a set I found on dx.com... $108.00 and free shipping. No bottom bracket though.. I did locate a couple Ultragre 6700 53/39 and a Ultragre 6750 compact...what do you all think of those?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

What is your goal - weight? stiffness? price?
And what are your limitations - budget? BB type? aesthetics?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Stefano

by Stefano

6700 is a good crankset, definitely in a different league as far as weight goes. If you're looking for preformance/ dollar on a new crank, a good deal on one of those will be hard to beat. that said, it does depend on your riding style, and what if you are upgrading, from what.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I'll sell you one of my spare stash of new-old-stock IRD carbon cranksets if you like. 530g. 34/50. I must have 30k miles on my set. Takes a Dura Ace 7700 Octalink bottom bracket (180g)... the BB is awesome and lasts forever with yearly maintenance.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yumseyo

by yumseyo

Sounds like a great deal, but I wish I had checked my post's before buying. I ended up with a carbon Stronglight Helion. Guy sold it for a fair price. The crank was a warranty return, and the rings and bb were in good shape.. I think, 640g total...