Rice Cakes?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

phourgenres

by phourgenres

I hear a lot of about homemade rice cakes being handed out in feed bags for the pro tours. I couldn't really find any information about a general recipe for these. Anyone have an idea? Id like to try making some for my longer rides.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trychle

by trychle

Cook rice, mix it with eggs, put it in the oven.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cycling+rice+cakes

Otherwise, my mates has the Scratch Labs cycling cook book and there is the same Allen Lim recipe in it (given he's the man behind Scratch Labs) that the Google search above ;) brings up - as well as a heap of other great stuff.

Perfect if you're gluten intolerant.

eric

by eric

I was making cakes based off the Lim recipe. But more sushi-like. I used rice wine vinegar and sugar like you would with sushi rice, only in slightly lower amounts. And then added cooked egg to it rather than bacon as I am vegetartian. You need to use sticky short grain sushi rice for this, otherwise it won't stick together.

This year I have been making rice muffins out of Lim's Feed Zone book. They're even tastier than the cakes and a little easier to eat as the rice is broken up and the muffin has more structural integrity so it is less likely to fall apart as you're eating it.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Just search on youtube you'll find 100 videos from Lim. He'll teach you how to wrap them 50 times too because that is very difficult.

I make my own with the key ingredients being sushi rice and eggs. Other than a great source of protein the eggs bind them.

My latest batch was sweet with some coconut milk, brown sugar, vanilla, and some chocolate chips. Oh yeah coconut shavings on top.

Why I like them is they are really easy to eat on the bike compared to bars. Oh yeah they are also REAL FOOD. Can't stand eating bars personally.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

What I found critical was the amount of liquid added.

Sushi rice says 1:1, Lim adds 1.5 cups to 1 cup of rice. Which I found works much better.

Rush

by Rush

I've started making my own rice cakes according to Lim's cookbook. Yum. Only problem is that on long solo rides they'll become inedible after 4 hours or so in hot weather...sometimes it helps to have a support car I guess.

I want to move onto cakes and pastries next.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Inedible? How so?

I find once they warm up a little they're even better.

hurricanejosh

by hurricanejosh

there are a number of recipes in the cookbook referenced above

http://www.amazon.com/The-Feed-Zone-Coo ... +feed+zone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it looks cheesy but it's actually an amazing cook book with a lot of great pre/during/post ride snacks and meals. i highly recommend picking it up

Geoff

by Geoff

+1. Good book with lots of interesting recipes. I can hardly wait to ride outdoors next year so I can eat those damn rice cakes all the time...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I won't add that the rice cakes (nearing the end of their life) with milk and warmed up are delicious...

...but yeah, they kinda are.

*sweet ones that is!*

Rush

by Rush

Tinea Pedis wrote:Inedible? How so?

I find once they warm up a little they're even better.

Not sure about you, but rice that's been sitting in your sweaty jersey back pocket in the sun for 4-5 hours just screams 'food poisoning' to me :lol:

Especially if the foil has begun to rip and sections of the cake are 'open to the air'.

But it's nice to have a big batch in the fridge to munch on before/after rides. Really good when you get home from your work commute as well.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I've been fine. But then, it's a tad cooler down my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

They're not indestructable space food but I have yet to have one go bad even after 5 hours in my jersey pocket in the summer.