Merino Wool Goods?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

boysa

by boysa

I find Icebreaker runs true to size. I just ordered a couple of RedRam Merino undershirts to try out. They are affiliated with Icebreaker somehow (they say they use Icebreaker Merino), so I'm not sure if they source the wool and do the construction themselves. Anyway, much cheaper pricing, so I'll report back after I've tested them out.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

musgravecycles

by musgravecycles

I've tried Rapha and Ibex - both pale in comparison to Wabi Woolens:

http://wabiwoolens.com/

dolophonic

by dolophonic

These are supposed to be base layers. Zips etc are not needed.

nayr497

by nayr497

Can anyone offer sizing feedback on Torm jerseys?

I just got a T7 jersey as a gift, it fits pretty nicely but I'm rather used to race-fit kit. I know this is not them/their exact market, but I'm wondering about sizing down to a small.

Two things with that - I'm in the U.S. so shipping to/back is expensive so I'd like to get this right. 2) I'm far out of the offer sizing guide for small, but the medium is a bit big in the neck, chest and a bit long (they do advertise a drop tail, I'm wondering if the small will be shorter).

Thanks.
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

Rick

by Rick

I went through a merino wool phase a couple years ago. So I still have a lot of merino base layers, socks, etc from various companies and various blends.
But I am less enamored with merino now because it seems to hold moisture. Yes, it remains warm when damp, but stays damp, clammy, and heavy. I was actually a bit shocked at how heavy one of my base layer jerseys was when I removed it after a ride. I just prefer a fabric that dries more quickly, while riding, and doesn't get "clammy" feeling.
So back to good old polypro, acrylic, etc. for me. Merino is good, but not that good. there are a lot cheaper alternatives that function as well or better (IMO)

jt2gt

by jt2gt

+1...I keep saying this and wondering why merino gets so much love for baselayers. Everyone replies lack of smell...but I would rather smell a bit than feel cold and clammy during winter rides. Plus I wash my baselayers after every ride anyway. If you don't nail the temp range running out the door with your winter gear on (which happens all the time with unpredictable cold climates), you are left cold and clammy on the way home or longer.

Sold my merino rapha and icebreaker and sticking with Assos and Craft. If you want a combo that works well, try the Craft CK wool baselayer...pulls the moisture away with the blend it has going. Straight merino leaves the heavy moisture close to the skin. Not good for winter riding IMO.

JT

LionelB

by LionelB

+2 for cycling it is craft base layers. Merino stays wet. I use Merino for hiking....

nfecyle

by nfecyle

My experience is the same as above. I prefer synthetic net base layer and jersey for a longer ride. For commute though, I prefer merino wool stuff. I can hang them dry when I get to work and re-wear to commute home in the evening the without the stinkiness of the synthetic material. I have torm brand baselayer and jersey, and I am not sure if the more expensive one like rapha would make the difference.

Razor

by Razor

Rick wrote:I went through a merino wool phase a couple years ago. So I still have a lot of merino base layers, socks, etc from various companies and various blends.
But I am less enamored with merino now because it seems to hold moisture. Yes, it remains warm when damp, but stays damp, clammy, and heavy. I was actually a bit shocked at how heavy one of my base layer jerseys was when I removed it after a ride. I just prefer a fabric that dries more quickly, while riding, and doesn't get "clammy" feeling.
So back to good old polypro, acrylic, etc. for me. Merino is good, but not that good. there are a lot cheaper alternatives that function as well or better (IMO)

I have an Ibex Merino wool mock turtleneck sleeveless turtleneck. Been trying to find another one because I accidentally got it chewed up in the garbage disposal (I hand wash all of my cycling stuff, somehow it got sucked down the sink when I drained it :lol: ) Anyway, I agree, the Merino stays a little damp so I really only use it on really cold days where I won't sweat a lot or on 60-70 degree days with low humidity. The material I find that is best for cold days is Polypropylene. It is considered "old school" but it does not stay damp next to the skin, provides warmth, and dries quickly, and it is inexpensive.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Just a note. The materials like polypropylene are designed to let pass through and keep the skin dry.
They don't really technically keep warmth in. Warmth is a result of removing moisture away from the skin so
it doesn't cool it.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Rick

by Rick

Polypro really seems nearly miraculous in its sweat-removal properties. I can back from one ride where I I had felt completely comfortable and dry, and when i removed my heavy polypro jersey (not a cycling jersey) there was a crusty layer of ice all over the back, where all moisture had been blown around to my back and frozen on the outer surface of the jersey. I never even felt it.

The downside is that the polypro fabric seems to "pill" or form little fiber balls on the surface very easy unless you really treat it delicately. Some also complain of smell, but I wash them after every ride and that doesn't seem to be a problem.

It is also very cheap. I'm a cheap-weenie in addition to a weight weenie.

Razor

by Razor

stella-azzurra wrote:Just a note. The materials like polypropylene are designed to let pass through and keep the skin dry.
They don't really technically keep warmth in. Warmth is a result of removing moisture away from the skin so
it doesn't cool it.

If it is cold, and I sweat, then the polypro next to my skin is preferable over the Merino. When the wind passes through my jersey to my base layer, I'd rather feel warm (even if polypro doesn't actually provide warmth) than the Merino actually providing warmth but send a chill to my body when the wind hits it because it is damp.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

How about a wind breaker in the front and polypropylene back half and wool. :mrgreen:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Razor

by Razor

stella-azzurra wrote:How about a wind breaker in the front and polypropylene back half and wool. :mrgreen:

:beerchug: I spent the better part of a day trying to track down a source for polypro to make a custom base layer, that is one difficult raw material to get. I like your idea though.

giant man

by giant man

nayr497 wrote:Can anyone offer sizing feedback on Torm jerseys?

I just got a T7 jersey as a gift, it fits pretty nicely but I'm rather used to race-fit kit. I know this is not them/their exact market, but I'm wondering about sizing down to a small.

Two things with that - I'm in the U.S. so shipping to/back is expensive so I'd like to get this right. 2) I'm far out of the offer sizing guide for small, but the medium is a bit big in the neck, chest and a bit long (they do advertise a drop tail, I'm wondering if the small will be shorter).

Thanks.

yes I have a T7 and a T8, great value jerseys imo and pretty well made too. Size wise, I would say they were average amongst the brands, Assos is more race cut imo, but Torm are not as relaxed cut as something like Gore or Campagnolo. In your instance, yes I would say the small would be shorter. The only downside with Torm imo are the small pockets at the back. Hope this helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com