Current vs older record hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

I have a chance to get a pair of the super rare silver Record 2006 hubs for my Colnago Master. Are these hubs anyway better than the current black hubs? I know the black are lighter (aprox. 100gr the pair) but are of a lower quality as well?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Get them! Not because they are better quality, but like you say, they are just hard to get. I have several sets of wheels built on the newer black hubs and they are really nice, spin forever, and I don't think they are "lesser quality". But they're a simpler design and I'm sure easier to machine and manufacture. Especially if you have chrome stays on your Master, a set of wheels built on silver record hubs would really complement it better than the black hubs I would think. It's a steel master, who cares if the newer hubs save a few grams. Go for the silver Records. Nice find.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'm very familiar with the older ones. The new hubs appear very similar internally to the older ones. The arrangement of parts is the same. The bearing cones and balls carry the same part #s. There is nothing like a 100g difference. The current hubs are listed at 116g and 231g. I just weighed a pair of older hubs at 124g and 257g so a total of 34g difference. Given that the basic design is the same I don't believe there is a difference in quality.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

LionelB

by LionelB

They are both great but the pre 2007 are just beautiful. Are the ones you found NOS ?

ergott

by ergott

No functional difference. You just get some nice bling with the older ones.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I so want a set of silver record hubs but they are so pricey.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

bm0p700f wrote:I so want a set of silver record hubs but they are so pricey.

It's kind of a little secret, but that whole generation of "oversize" hubs from Daytona to Centaur to Chorus to Record was absolutely identical except for the skewers that were provided, and the band on the Record. Identical except for price, that is.

One.

kgt

by kgt

Yes I' ve find them NOS. Don't know the price yet.
The seller has also a pair of NOS Record Delta brakes which I 'need' for my next project (that will be an early '90s bike).
I hope he' ll be gentle and offer me a good price for both hubs and brakes. Otherwise the deltas will be my priority.

LionelB

by LionelB

Let me know if you pass on the NOS record hubs....

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

kgt wrote:Yes I' ve find them NOS. Don't know the price yet.
The seller has also a pair of NOS Record Delta brakes which I 'need' for my next project (that will be an early '90s bike).
I hope he' ll be gentle and offer me a good price for both hubs and brakes. Otherwise the deltas will be my priority.

I have bought and sold several sets of Delta brakes. Did a lot of research on the history too.

If you want to actually put them on a bike and ride it, I'd suggest looking for excellent/mint rather than NOS. You will pay a stiff premium for NOS which instantly vanishes the moment you mount them on a bike and use them. NOS IMO are now a display/investment item only.

I'd also suggest getting late gen 5 pivot Deltas (the ones that work) and putting current holders and pads on them.

Not the earlier generations or the Croce's which don't stop too well, just reduce speed somewhat.

One.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

You know you want to:

Untitled by MajorMantra, on Flickr

I can't imagine what a NOS set would go for - £400 maybe? I paid something in the region of £200 for a used set in excellent condition on ebay. I'm embarrassed to say that because of various kit swapping, these are currently my winter wheels.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

On my master I was using a set of 36h OS silver chorus hubs on blue open pros,

I have to remove the front wheel frequently to go on the elevator so it was a PITA because the steel fork dimensions were made for the older not OS axels

I replaced the wheels with a set of not OS 32h record hubs on blue open pros, they are heavier but no more wheel removing problem and they look better :)
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Later centaur front hubs cheaped out, went to the non-adjustable steel axle type. I want to say that the rear eventually went that way as well, but my memory is fuzzy in my old age.
The older centaur ones were lighter than record, by a couple grams, due to its preload collar being plastic. Once record gained its lightweight refinements (like the steel right axle end no longer incorporating a spacer, and then adding a spacer in aluminum) it became lighter than centaur.