What about Gigantex

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gravity

by gravity

What do we know about Gigantex? Why it is considered a better wheel as compared to the Chinese made rims/wheels? Who else has appointed Gigantex to manufacture their rims? I’ve noticed that Hope’s new carbon wheels offerings are similar to what you can get from BikeHubStore’s Gigantex rims. I have also heard that Planet X and FFWD (to some extent in their early days) have had Gigantex to produce their rims? How valid is this information?

I’m asking because from where I live, I can get a brand new 2014 Reynolds Attack at around USD900. Reynolds wheels are not very popular in WW but I think for a general riding (as in not intended solely for climbing nor sprinting) I think this is pretty good considering the price. Also they are reputable company having Paul Lew steering the technical aspects on the brand. The Assault and Attack are also both got an updated spec with 25mm width and shallower height (41mm Assault and 29mm Attack) – the one that appeals to me. It’s clincher by the way.
I’m looking at Gigantex 30mm tubular from BHS, laced to White Industries T11 with Sapim Laser spokes. That would give a total of USD1,100 shipped. The difference in price is negligible if I can get far superior ride as compared to Reynolds’. Plus this package also comes with good hubs, a major plus point to me.

What I’m trying to achieve here is to get the best wheels out of USD1,000. Taking away the branding and marketing aspects of Reynolds (or any other major brands out there), where do you think Gigantex stands in the industry?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chiumomo

by chiumomo

no need to quote the above

As far as I know, Gigantex is the manufacturer of HED rims, and FFWD's rims was made by Xpace.
I have use gigantex (aka equinox) factory built wheelset few years ago, and I think they're pretty similar to Chinese made wheels in terms of ride quality and acceleration.
And the braking performance of gigantex rim is pretty good, equal to Zipp 303 imo.

davidalone

by davidalone

I may be wrong, but I have heard that gigantex used to make rims for reynolds. gigantex did use to make rims for FFWD and planetX, but that might have changed now. gigantex were one of the first companies to make CF rims, and they are a very very big company with regards to carbon manufacturing. they don't only make bike parts, but alot of other stuff too, so I'd say thay have quite abit of expertise in this area.

there's a article on gigantex adn a visti to their factory here:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/gigant ... ogy/014647

Whats different between gigantex and other chinese companies? well it's all in the skill of designing a carbon layup and choosing the epoxies you use. anyone can 'layup' a carbon rim, it takes skilll and know how to lay it up in the correct orientation to perform well. companies are never going to tell you the exact layup orientation or epoxy they use, that's their 'secret sauce'.

Gigantex is a high quality company. I would not hesitate to ride their products.

LouisN

by LouisN

They used to make carbon fiber tubes that Cyfac used to build their frames.
Don't know if it's still the case though...
If that can help...but any big manufacturer can make a large spectrum of quality products, based on different criterias.

Louis :)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well I build with some gigantex and have just taken delivery of some Chinese 50mm carbon clinchers and they are good as each other. Both are good to build with both brake well. No difference apart from the price. It does depend on who makes the chinese rims but Xpace is Chinese is it not.

bura

by bura

All Token and Pro-Lite wheels are made by Gigantex.
Friend is riding his Token C50 with Sapim CX-Ray for the 4th season now. Rear wheel once trued. The slight bulgy brake track does not wear down. The tiramic bearings of the Token hubs still spin good.
I would not hesitate to ride with Gigantex but Reynolds.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

eschelar

by eschelar

Bura - I can't speak for Token, but I've been to the Pro-Lite factory and seen them making their own carbon fiber rim. It seems they used to rely on Gigantex for carbon rims, but now they only use them for two rims. The rest, they handle in-house. I think they made the change 3 or 4 years ago now.

I've personally seen them working on Padova, Rome, 45mm clinchers and 50mm tubulars.

And of course Gigantex doesn't 'make' wheels as much as making the rims. They don't do hubs or spokes or assembly either.

As to whether that translates into "better" or not is a different matter and I make no statement either way on that issue. The only company that I've seen that consistently offers smoke, mirrors and outright BS is Zipp. I always get confused that people think they are the gold standard when in reality, they simply have the largest overall budget and best connections to publicity.

From aerodynamics 'tests' that compare no two similar things with similar conditions and no control models to spurious claims that fly in the face of both common sense and getting close to a century of aerospace engineering, it's not so much as 'being as good as' Zipp. Few of the riders that are really happy with Zipp really push their wheels to any type of extreme.

When conditions are difficult, that's when a product can be proven to be 'good' or 'bad'.

That said, I tend to work on wheels myself, so if something breaks, I'll probably not put it down to brand loyalty, but rather suitability for the conditions.

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

Reynolds is not made by Gigantex.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Svetty

by Svetty

Cyfac use Toray cf

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

Svetty wrote:Cyfac use Toray cf

Which Toray? T-300? T-700?
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bura

by bura

Saw this ad.
Are you ready for Equinox?
The only choice is "I'm ready".
So I clicked to be "ready" to learn that I will never be "ready".
I am shocked by their USD.2900.- price tag for full CC which aren't very light.
So stay with Gigantex but avoid their branded wheels.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Svetty

by Svetty

BobDopolina wrote:
Svetty wrote:Cyfac use Toray cf

Which Toray? T-300? T-700?

The grade depends on which model frame - it's been a couple of years since I last visited the factory...

HughStone

by HughStone

Keen to push the button on some rims - where's the best/cheapest place to purchase Gigantex clincher rims?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com