Zipp 202 Firecrest

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CharlesM

by CharlesM

They're actually 1380, but they're also 32mm deep, a full 24.6 wide with a darn good aero profile. It's not really a shallow wheel despite being the smallest carbon profile for Zipp... Apples to Apples, weights not a relative down side...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asv

by asv

I just have a tough time seeing a situation where the 202 clincher is going to be a better choice than the 3.4 and for $1000 you can build up some wide rims like SL23's with good hubs that will weight about the same and have a 24mm width with a slightly shallower depth.

Sparks

by Sparks

No pictures from the bike show as there were no 2014 ZIPP products on display : /

The 2014 Synapse black caught my eye and the 2014 Venge yellow/black colour scheme looked stunning, guess I'll have to wait until my LBS holds some stock of the 2014 ZIPP wheels.
2013 Pinarello Dogma 65.1
2014 Cannodale SS Evo

FourRings

by FourRings

Zipp wheels don't have to be purchased as as set. They can be purchased separately and be mixed and matched as you see fit. The rims are available to select custom builders if you want hand-built quality and your choice of parts. Knowing this, I had Wheelbuilder.com build a set with a 303 rear / 202 front. laced to DT 240 hubs. For me, this set-up strikes the right balance between aero and weight, while being noticeably less susceptible to cross winds.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

ding.

sawyer

by sawyer

asv wrote:I just have a tough time seeing a situation where the 202 clincher is going to be a better choice than the 3.4 and for $1000 you can build up some wide rims like SL23's with good hubs that will weight about the same and have a 24mm width with a slightly shallower depth.

At least in the UK for street prices Zipp is far cheaper than ENVE so that's not really apples with apples.

That said I do think either is a lot of coin for their weight. You can buy a very respectable set of clinchers and a lighter / as aero set of tubs for the same money.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

1415chris

by 1415chris

Indeed, humongous prices on Enve in the UK make these wheels completely incomparable.
For a set of FC 303 tubulars I paid year ago, I would be struggling to get a set of Enve smart rims only.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

...and the Enve 25 clincher rims only come in at ~20g/ea lighter.

The 202's have a nice price point that goes to hell when buying the rims, hubs, spokes, etc separately. The trade-off, of course, is a lighter weight for more dough. That's a WW's life!

Elrey

by Elrey

Can any one tell me, if this "new" technology Zipp is gonna use, will be something you feel on the go, as a regular guy on a bike.

New for 2014, the 202 Firecrest Carbon Clincher is built with a the latest iteration of our 188 rear hub, the V9, along with new spoke-lacing pattern for the rear wheel - refinements that result in improved stiffness and durability.