Corima Viva MCC S or LW Gipfelsturm

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RM27

by RM27

Hi,

Looking to get something lower profile compared to my LW Standards for windy days.

I know the Corima's are good wheels, however the low spoke count from a safety stand point worries me. I have not found anything that supports worrying but thought I'd ask if anyone here had issues.

The question vs the Gipfelsturm's is will I get any aero benefit with the Viva MCC S being 32 MM compared to the Gipfelsturm's 27MM rim depth?

Thanks.

RM27

by RM27

I'm guessing not many people have this particular Corima wheel. Over 100 views without a response. Probably stick with LW since I am familiar with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vlastrada

by vlastrada

Yupp MCCs are pretty rare...and I never had the pleasure of riding them. My 2c, if money is no object, I would go for the Gips, though I found the Standards III (16/20) to climb super well; and the real world weight difference vs. the Gips is less than 75 grams (even if almost all of it at the rims...)
in any case you cant go wrong ;-)

RM27

by RM27

vlastrada wrote:Yupp MCCs are pretty rare...and I never had the pleasure of riding them. My 2c, if money is no object, I would go for the Gips, though I found the Standards III (16/20) to climb super well; and the real world weight difference vs. the Gips is less than 75 grams (even if almost all of it at the rims...)
in any case you cant go wrong ;-)

I think I would agree. I really my LW standards, just thought I would try something different. I was also hoping to gain some aero benefit over the Gipfelstrum's without going to deep where wind would be a factor.

RM27

by RM27

Bumping this to see if I can get additional responses from owners of Corima Viva MCC wheels.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Probably about the best wheels ever performance-wise.
You're pretty much on your own re repair etc. in case of major probs though...

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

RM27

by RM27

Thanks for the response. Repairs are my only concern. Might just roll the dice and take the chances hoping for the best. Star bike seems to have pretty good price for the wheel set, much lower than any U.S. pricing.

dual

by dual

If repairs are your concern (as were mine), i'd consider a Viva or Winium rim laced to a nice pair of hubs in a conventional way.

RM27

by RM27

dual wrote:If repairs are your concern (as were mine), i'd consider a Viva or Winium rim laced to a nice pair of hubs in a conventional way.

While I completely agree with your comment part of the desire for these wheels is the look of the Viva MCC. On the flip side the look is what also worries me with the low spoke count... :noidea:

dual

by dual

I'm not sure if i understand that last sentence right, but functionally and performancewise they're top notch for sure.

RM27

by RM27

Last sentence means - I like the look of the low spoke count but the low spoke count is what concerns me with durability.

Thank you - You provided the answer I was looking for. I just placed my order with Starbike so I will soon find out for myself.

I'll update this after I receive the wheels.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I like the look of the low spoke count but the low spoke count is what concerns me with durability.

That shouldn't be of any concern unless you're a rather pound-rich rider.
My major concern with Corima rims is that the carbon layup has a tendency to delaminate when in regular contact with aggressive cleaning chemicals. Other than that they're in the top three of the best wheel ever.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

dual

by dual

Which chemicals would that be? I sometimes clean the braketracks of carbon rims with acetone and remove rests of glue with white spirit. As i currently have a set of wheels with Winium rims being made for me, i find that pretty interesting...

RM27

by RM27

That shouldn't be of any concern unless you're a rather pound-rich rider.
My major concern with Corima rims is that the carbon layup has a tendency to delaminate when in regular contact with aggressive cleaning chemicals. Other than that they're in the top three of the best wheel ever.

Ciao, ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for that response. That is what I was hoping to hear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Corima MCC's for when it's too gusty for the LW's. LOL I love this forum!