Winter Bib Tights: Chamois / No Chamois

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gitsome

by gitsome

God yes,..
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

I wear bog standard running tights under my bibs from about November-mid March.

HakeemT

by HakeemT

Why would one wear tights under their bibs? So rather than sitting on the chamois, intended to decrease friction and therefore chafing, saddle sores etc. the first layer is a pair of tights, negating all the benefits that a good chamois provides?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Agreed. Chamois against the sensitive bits. Tights over bibs...

Devon

by Devon

Never experienced any of the aboe issues wearing them underneith. I find it more comfortable and it looks better (roadies are supposed to be vain right?) Ridden 250km+ rides like this and been supremely comfortable and warm/dry.

ayrej2

by ayrej2

I've got the Rapha deep winter tights (without chamois) and they're brilliant for anything below 5 degrees C.

Great for commuting on the coldest days, I've never been cold wearing these. In fact I can normally get away with wearing a little less on top as I tend to get too warm in them.

eurperg

by eurperg

I didn't like Rapha deep winter tights at all, because they are not windproof from the lumbar area. Nothing worse than a chilly wind blowing to your sweaty lower back. A sure way to get a lumbago at least for me...

fireball05

by fireball05

I bought some Giordana formared bib tights with the fleece liner. The most expensive, and nicest piece of kit I own. Good down to about 25-30 degrees and a light drizzle. Any colder than that and I'm indoors!

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

Without reading through all the previous posts I'll weigh in. I use Gore thermal bibs without chamois and my regular bibs underneath. Good for approx 20F with other proper winterwear
2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

Jmeloy

by Jmeloy

btompkins0112 wrote:I have a few set of tights that do not have chamois that I wear over my regular bibs.....I sourced them locally, but I think they were Sugoi if that helps.

Same approaching I take with good results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Most chamios are only stitched in after all. A craft knife and a bit of patience is all that's required.

I've unpicked them out of my 3 pairs of Sportful No-Rain Thermals last month because this spring I finally took a "gamble" on some Mille S5's and now nothing else will ever seat me on a bike again.

Musiker

by Musiker

I also have a pair of rapha deep winter tights. Wear them over a set of short bibs. Never frozen anything they covered, biggest problem for me is keeping toes warm (Thin socks, Wool socks, winterboots and neopren over them and i sometimes still end up with cold toes on long icy rides)..

Ps. I also greatly prefer my winter tights with no chamois.