newest S Works shoes question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spud

by spud

Just got a pair of 2013 S-works. have not ridden them yet, ended up going down half a size from my Sidi Ergo 2. The shape of the last is really nice, more room in the toe box while also being a little more locked in around the ball of the foot. And man are they light!

Once I get some time on them, I'll be in a better position to comment on how the fit changes with heat and use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Horacio

by Horacio

I need wide shoes and got word they wont arrive until June! Thats a real pisser Specialized!

climberevan

by climberevan

I agree with the sizing comments above. I was just looking for new shoes and did lots of trying on. The S-works 2012 and 2013 sized same, but the 2013 was even more glove-like in a good way. I was a 44 in both. Man are they light!

I tried on the Sidi 6.6 and Energy, and preferred a 44.5 in them, but may have considered a 45. They exude quality and definitely have more built-in arch support than the Spec, which are very flat from front to back.

I chose a mint Shimano 315 for $150 in 44.5 and am very happy. If I had unlimited budget I'd go with the S-works for sure, but durability concerns (possibly unfounded) pushed me away from them. I'd call the fit a bit more like the Sidi but without the pronounced arch support. I used custom insoles so I don't care about that anyway.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have a pair of the 2010 (?) s works (single boa) size 42, and 2013 s works 42. The 2010 is much roomier, dare i say more comfy, that may be due to footbeds being broken in though.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

It is more of a glove like slipper fit. Similar by significant differences.

Less room in the toe. Tighter all around but more give so it doesn't feel too tight.

Very sexy. Somewhat more sexy than before but needs be kept clean.

Made in china unfortunately. So sidi is a better choice although I love the looks and slipper feel. Doesn't feel like you're wearing a mechanical shoe. Getting closer to helping you become an extension of your bike.

Build quality a little shaky. It looks like they cut some corners on some things. Because of this overpriced. The carbon is beautiful though.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I've owned the last three versions, and now have the 2013s. I agree with some of the responders who have said that they fit very much like the previous generation, but the Boa's make it easier to tweak the fit and have a better range of adjustability. They are incredibly light, stiff, and comfortable for me. On all three versions I upgraded the insole from the + to the ++, and it made a huge difference in how snug they felt through the instep. I even tried the +++, but it was just too much.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Compared to the last iteration with 2 Boa dials and no Velcro (2011-2012), the present model has less toe box room, and is also tighter mid foot. Less volume all around.

jockalldrick

by jockalldrick

Was involved in a serious accident when wearing boa s-works
Ambulance team required my help to get them off
Was a nightmare

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

jockalldrick wrote:Was involved in a serious accident when wearing boa s-works
Was a nightmare

people dont know how to turn knobs or something?

kode54

by kode54

nathanong87 wrote:
jockalldrick wrote:Was involved in a serious accident when wearing boa s-works
Was a nightmare

people dont know how to turn knobs or something?

exactly…or just snip the cable wires if an emergency.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Jmeloy

by Jmeloy

Got a pair of 2010's and a new pair of 2013's... Getting a bit of cramping in the front third of the shoe. Didn't hear about the volume difference and that may be the cause.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

The boa dials have more leverage in the latest version. I just dial mine until they are visibly not loose, and that's about right for me and they are perfectly comfortable. If I crank them more than a few clicks after that, they become too tight.