The wide rim craze.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WheelBuilderOrg

by WheelBuilderOrg

Juanmoretime wrote:several pings as the spokes settled in as any new build will do.

No wheel should ping upon the first ride. This should be taken care of by proper stress relieving in the truing stand.

Glad you like the new build though! The Archetype has the best braking I've seen on an alloy hoop.

deermatt

by deermatt

I dont really understand why the archetype rim is popular? Its a average weight alloy semi shallow rim ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Is 23mm wide rim with a 19mm internal width.....that's why it is popular.

pushstart

by pushstart

It is a really nice rim in terms of build quality too. I like the black braking surface since I am using archetypes for my disc commuter wheelset. That said, I think there were probably other factors at play if the ride felt significantly different. I think there is some detectable benefit in cornering, but most of this is probably just in your head :). Doesn't really matter, though, if it makes you happy to ride.

mjduct

by mjduct

I've got a set of DT swiss 350 hubs on a HED belgium C2 rims (w/o brake track) inbound for a road disc bike. I'm hoping I have the same feelings you do about being glued to the pavement and cornering better.

If you don't mind me asking, what tires are you running?

seve88

by seve88

I've used Archetype and A23. I cannot say I feel much difference cornering but defintely think they are more comfortable due to the lower pressure you can run.

madsry

by madsry

mjduct: Are you riding the C2's yet? I'm almost certain that my next project will be a disc road bike and would like to eliminate the brake track and any associated weight if I'm not going to be using it... Would love to hear your feedback. I'm hoping that the new Ardennes tubeless rims will become available soon as I'd really like to run 23mm tubeless on some nice wide rims.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I have c-2's with ck r45's, they have become my go to wheelset. The main difference is the ride, it is just smoother than any of my other wheelsets.

DAC24
FS 38mm actually smoother on the chipseal, however not ridden in the winter
Ksyrium Elite steel spokes
Ksyrium SLS
Fulcrum R-1
Rolf
Bontrager Supersomething

I know that the above wheels are narrower, however the wider ones really work great. Decending 35-50 mph and the century rides are where I feel the most benefits.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have a set of Kinlin XC-279 laced to DT 350s with 28/28 Sapim Laser spokes (Fairwheel Bikes built)......heavy at around 1700grams :gasp:, but I pull them off the shelf more often than my 1300 gram wheelset (XR-19w narrow rim), because they ride so damn smooth, and seemingly faster!

EDIT: Updated for my fat-fingering
Last edited by btompkins0112 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orfitinho

by Orfitinho

Do you mean xc-279 or xr-270?

The 270 is a normal wide rim: 19mm outer width.
The 279 is wider: 23mm outer width.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I think that the Archetype is a great rim. The finish is far more consistent and quality than the A23, and if you don't mind the brake track finish wearing off then it's a great option.

With that said I think it's been out done by the SL23 from Pacenti. The SL23 is wider, deeper, and lighter while still being just as rigid.

weenie

by weenie

I'm wondering how the Stan rims compare to these. People seems to agree on SL23 being the nicest rim compared to the A23 and the Archetype.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

weenie wrote:I'm wondering how the Stan rims compare to these. People seems to agree on SL23 being the nicest rim compared to the A23 and the Archetype.

Last time I checked Stan's wasn't making a wide rim to compare with.

ergott

by ergott

bombertodd wrote:
weenie wrote:I'm wondering how the Stan rims compare to these. People seems to agree on SL23 being the nicest rim compared to the A23 and the Archetype.

Last time I checked Stan's wasn't making a wide rim to compare with.

The Stan's Alpha rim is competitively wide (internally), but there is less material at the brake track. If you ride in adverse conditions, you might want to consider other options.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Zen Cyclery wrote:I think that the Archetype is a great rim. The finish is far more consistent and quality than the A23, and if you don't mind the brake track finish wearing off then it's a great option.

With that said I think it's been out done by the SL23 from Pacenti. The SL23 is wider, deeper, and lighter while still being just as rigid.

Have you gotten to check out the 25mm wide Hed rims?
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com