Parlee ESX Aero

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

relocated rear brake and not the front? not liking the top tube either.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

PSM

by PSM

Calnago wrote:It's a bicycle in puberty, confused and unsure. Am I aero, am I not, what are these humps growing on my body? Help me, help me!

Aren't all Parlees kinda ugly?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Compared to what? I think they are classical and a little unassuming. Not loving this thing though.. If I wanted an aero bike the tmr01 would be the ticket

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@ Sugarkane - I gave to agree, I love the understated simplicity of my Z5. I'm u little underwhelmed by the appearance of the new Parlee Aero offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

PSM

by PSM

Just don't like this:

:roll:

kode54

by kode54

PSM wrote:Just don't like this:
:roll:

with the crank on, i don't even notice the bottom bracket area much. also, on my stealth black Z5 SL, its less pronounced because of the matte finish. personally, it really doesn't bother me much...looks purposeful, design-wise.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

carbon2329

by carbon2329

kgt wrote:It' sad when marketing hits even builders like Parlee...

I've owned a Parlee before (Z3) and appreciate the classic design they have always embrased.

But I don't understand this one....

I'm sure Parlee will say they "designed it for performance and aerodynamics, without concern for esthetics..."
(thats clear...whether its aero is another discusion :D )

So they hide the rear brake but not the front brake. (I imagine they will also say the "angled fork allows the front brake to be more aero". :doh:

I guess I just shake my head when builders are hiding brakes at the same time they are coming out with disc frameset. (and they will saw that disc are still pretty aero :noidea: ) (sorry if that is OT)
If that is the case then a rear brake at the seat-stays can'tt be any worse than discs...and it's SOOOOOO much more conviente to service and keep clean.

I appreciate Parlee and even plan on getting another (a Z5 sl, most likely), but I don't see how the esthetics can be ignored. These are bikes, not NASA equipment. We all shop by performace & ESTHETICS (or vise-versa).

It's got to look good too. Perhaps a Ferrari would be more aero if it looked like a "flying saucer", but folks wouldn't pay as much for it (or like it), if it did (This is retail, remember)

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

NealH wrote:It certainly appears to have a healthy size head tube which would seem a bit out of place on a aero bike. Maybe its very narrow though. Or perhaps this is the tall head tube aero option.

Most stock Parlees have two head tube lengths, long and longer. Have you looked at the head tube length of the aero cervelos? Massive. The Venge has a pretty long HT as well IMO.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It appears to be one of the first framesets that is intentionally designed around the concept of the rider using a water bottle. Shocking, I know.
Many other 'aero' frames perform testing without a water bottle in place. It's fairly evident when you look at the brand-provided images as well: where is the water bottle?

When a water bottle is added to the image straight away you know that the frame was designed around actual, real-life use.... You know, a rider actually riding it, and shockingly, needing a source of portable water supply along their ride.

I like this frame quite a bit. The comments thus far have been interesting.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

One of the problems with boutique frame builders like Parlee is that you get so well liked in a niche that you become the antichrist the moment ou deviate a bit from your "roots". All comments here reflect that. I would be surprised to know for sure if this frame actually performs better than the other aero frames. Int he end, it will make not a single difference as I suspect 99+% of people buying them have far more to gain from adjusting the other 95% of wind resistance they cause themselves. In the end, it is about looks and image. Anyone thinking otherwise needs a reality check!!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Marketers can spin anything, and if this isn't proof positive of that then I don't know what is. Before I read the BikeRumor typical rose glasses "lets not piss anyone off here" article I was convinced that this frame was designed for electric groups only. Why?... Because of the cable routing. Anyone who has worked with mechanical 11sp shifting knows that it shifts just as well (I think better) then electric, providing it has a really nice smooth cable routing. And a really nice smooth cable routing in my books dictates, yes dictates, that you don't run the derailleur cables up and down vertically through the top tube like they've done here. Cervelo finally seems to have come to their senses in this regard too. But the BikeRumor article states that it is electric/mechanical ready. Well, of course you 'can' run mechanical but due to the routing I wouldn't advise it. When you see cable routing that requires the bends that a frame like this does, then I would suggest that an electric group be your only consideration. And yes, it's still as ugly to me today as it was yesterday.
This frame is an epic fail on so many levels in my mind.
Last edited by Calnago on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

prendrefeu wrote:It appears to be one of the first framesets that is intentionally designed around the concept of the rider using a water bottle. Shocking, I know.
Many other 'aero' frames perform testing without a water bottle in place. It's fairly evident when you look at the brand-provided images as well: where is the water bottle?
Either that, or maybe Parlee just wants you to think they've designed it for aeroness with water bottle. They can't be held responsible if people jump to the wrong conclusion.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

horrid

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lobular

by lobular

Talk about an identity crisis....am I a Trek? am I a Foil? I agree with dgasmd...bikes sell primarly due to 'looks and image'. These things won't sell.