Athena EPS - Battery V2 compatible with V1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Anyone know if the V2 battery/unit is compatible with a V1 system? :wink:

Best Regards Soeren

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Yes you can use the V2 battery with V1 interface, but you won't be able to diagnose if you have a problem. The V2 battery doesn't have the led light like V1 battery.

Another thing to know is that you won't have the feature where you can trim the front derailleur for both the big and small chainring when setting up the shifting.

Last thing, you also need to buy the new V2 charger since the new battery has a different plug.
██

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Thank you.

So if i buy V2 interface, V2 Battery + Charger? i will all be fine? the shifters and derailleurs is like the old one?

giant man

by giant man

Campag really don't make it easy do they ...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Yeah, that is why if I bought my 9 speed hub, that it will not work with my new 11 speed system :roll: . Kinda like Shimano.

Every company should have upgrades so all their products are backwards compatible. Really? Should they have an extra hole in the seat tube to see the light on the internal battery too? Considering what they could have done, it is a great work around. Could they have done better? maybe. Could they have done worst? Oh yeah.
Last edited by Butcher on Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Nejmann wrote:Thank you.

So if i buy V2 interface, V2 Battery + Charger? i will all be fine? the shifters and derailleurs is like the old one?

yes shifters and derailleurs are no problem. don't have to change those.

where are you installing this battery?

In the seat tube you will need the EPS battery rod tool. it screws to the battery so you can align it with the bottle cages holes.

If it is in the downtube, you will need another tool.

there is also an external battery holder for those who want to install it under the rear chainstay or near the BB.

check out this video for installation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hIhwWobxjw
██

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

ferrarista wrote:
Nejmann wrote:Thank you.

yes shifters and derailleurs are no problem. don't have to change those.

where are you installing this battery?

In the seat tube you will need the EPS battery rod tool. it screws to the battery so you can align it with the bottle cages holes.

If it is in the downtube, you will need another tool.

there is also an external battery holder for those who want to install it under the rear chainstay or near the BB.

check out this video for installation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hIhwWobxjw

I bought a Pinarello FPQuattro, and the LBS would install the EPS over the winter, so it's ready for spring.. and i don't know if it is v1 or v2... I i'm hoping if it is the External(v1) that he mount it under the downtube :-) i think it looks bad between the bottle cages.

If he uses v2 do there have to be a "charger hole" in the frame for it to work? (if you wan't it internal?) but then again the v2 under the rear chainstay could be prettier than the v1 under the downtube i think :-)

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Nejmann wrote:
I bought a Pinarello FPQuattro, and the LBS would install the EPS over the winter, so it's ready for spring.. and i don't know if it is v1 or v2... I i'm hoping if it is the External(v1) that he mount it under the downtube :-) i think it looks bad between the bottle cages.

If he uses v2 do there have to be a "charger hole" in the frame for it to work? (if you wan't it internal?) but then again the v2 under the rear chainstay could be prettier than the v1 under the downtube i think :-)

From what I could see online, the FP quattro doesn't have holes in the downtube near the bb and the rear chainstay.

You could either use the V1 battery with the bracket between the bottle cages or you could do V2 battery placed either inside the seat tube or downtube. If you don't want to drill a hole in your frame to fix the battery charger plug, you could drill a hole in the plastic BB plate and use the plug extension. Another way I was thinking is drill a small hole in the seatpost and use the extension if its long enough and place it there. Just have to make sure its long enough for when you take off the seatpost.
██

Nejmann

by Nejmann

ferrarista wrote:
Nejmann wrote:

From what I could see online, the FP quattro doesn't have holes in the downtube near the bb and the rear chainstay.

You could either use the V1 battery with the bracket between the bottle cages or you could do V2 battery placed either inside the seat tube or downtube. If you don't want to drill a hole in your frame to fix the battery charger plug, you could drill a hole in the plastic BB plate and use the plug extension. Another way I was thinking is drill a small hole in the seatpost and use the extension if its long enough and place it there. Just have to make sure its long enough for when you take off the seatpost.

I think i will ask him to mount the v2 inside, either the seat tube or downtube and then make the charger port at the plastic bb plate using the plug extension, that would be awesome..:) if i only have to charge the battery every 1 or 2 month, it's dosen't matter if the charger port is under the bike i think :-)

Nejmann

by Nejmann

bla bla

Is it this plate you mean? (i know there is used a mount there) put normally there is a plate?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Nejmann wrote:
bla bla

Is it this plate you mean? (i know there is used a mount there) put normally there is a plate?

That battery bracket looks custom.

Yes thats the plate under the BB.

So you can drill a hole in the plastic plate and fix the charger plug. Put the rubber cap that comes with the battery so that no dirt goes inside the plug or you could just leave the plug tucked inside without doing a hole.

When you want to recharge take off the plate and connect the plug. battery lasts around 1500km.

Choose what is more convenient, easier for you.
██

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

ferrarista wrote:Yes you can use the V2 battery with V1 interface, but you won't be able to diagnose if you have a problem. The V2 battery doesn't have the led light like V1 battery.

Another thing to know is that you won't have the feature where you can trim the front derailleur for both the big and small chainring when setting up the shifting.

Last thing, you also need to buy the new V2 charger since the new battery has a different plug.

You can diagnose with the V2....the LED on the Interface will pulse X times to show you the problem, not in color like in the power unit.
At least this is what it was shown on the official Campy video.
Also, there's a specific V2 for Athena.
I do have to check on that charger thing as we were under the impression that the regular one would work...at least we were told that.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

jmartpr wrote:
ferrarista wrote:Yes you can use the V2 battery with V1 interface, but you won't be able to diagnose if you have a problem. The V2 battery doesn't have the led light like V1 battery.

You can diagnose with the V2....the LED on the Interface will pulse X times to show you the problem, not in color like in the power unit.
At least this is what it was shown on the official Campy video.
Also, there's a specific V2 for Athena.
I do have to check on that charger thing as we were under the impression that the regular one would work...at least we were told that.

I was told by the distributor that you can use the V1 interface with the V2 battery, but you won't be able to diagnose if you have a problem. V1 interface doesn't have the diagnostics tool. no way around it.

Yes Athena has a specific battery and interface, but it was like that before too so not really news.

I saw the v2 and v1 charger side by side and the plugs are different. They are already available here in Canada.
██

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

The diagnostics are on the power module...on the V2 it will send a signal to the interface LED and flash it.....that's what's on the Campy video.
The Athena info was so the OP doesn't go out and buy a V2 Super Record/Record for an Athena group...they still keep the individual interfaces.
If the charger is different that sucks....way to go Campy!
We are right now doing an installation and will post later on this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com