Trek 2014 superfly hardtail weights

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wenanwhere

by wenanwhere

Hello,

Anyone got weights for 2014 trek superfly hardtails? Would be interested in the 9.8 frame weight. Does anyone know if there is any substantial difference between the 9.8 and 9.8sl? Doesnt seem to be much in the spec that leads to the £1k extra price tag! On the website it says the technology from the sl models is trickled down but not sure what this means beyond the 'micro truss' that come on the sl? Interested in how that translates to frame weight.

cheers

Matt

wenanwhere

by wenanwhere

Well the micro truss seems to be the only difference from what I can see but not sure what this means in terms of frame performance or weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The 9-series frames are essentially the same between the lower-9 series and again the 9.9's (and the 9.8SL in Europe). They use the same OCLV Mountain carbon (same as used in the lower-spec frames, as well). The difference is in the spec of the bike.

Edited after further review...
Last edited by FIJIGabe on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wenanwhere

by wenanwhere

The below suggests there is some difference between the frames in terms of micro truss and internal cable routing, given the similar spec of wheels and forks I just can't see how it adds to the price tag in that way, bonkers.

Colours Onyx Carbon/Lime Green
Frame OCLV Mountain Carbon, Carbon Armor, E2 tapered head tube, BB95, balanced post mount, Closed Convert dropouts, G2 Geometry
Front suspension RockShox SID RL w/Solo Air, rebound, Motion Control remote lockout, E2 tapered steerer, 15mm Maxle Lite, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 100mm travel
Sizes 15.5, 17.5, 18.5, 19.5, 21.5, 23"
Wheels DT Swiss X1800 15mm front hub; 142x12 rear w/tubeless rims, strips, and valves
Tyres Bontrager XR1 Team Issue Tubeless Ready, aramid bead, 29x2.2"
Shifters Shimano Deore XT, 10 speed
Front derailleur Shimano Deore XT
Rear derailleur Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus
Crank Shimano Deore XT, 38/24
Cassette Shimano Deore XT 11-36, 10 speed
Saddle Bontrager Evoke 3, titanium rails
Seatpost Bontrager Race Lite, 27.2mm, 5mm offset
Handlebar Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon low-riser, 31.8mm, 5mm rise
Stem Bontrager Race X Lite, 31.8mm, 7 degree
Headset FSA IS-2, E2, sealed cartridge bearing
Brakeset Shimano Deore XT hydraulic disc
Grips ESI Chunky, silicone

9.8 SL: Colours Onyx Carbon/Viper Red
Frame OCLV Mountain Carbon, removable Carbon Armor, E2 fully integrated tapered head tube, BB95, internal control routing, Micro Truss, balanced post mount, Closed Convert dropouts, G2 Geometry
Front suspension Fox Evolution Series 32 Float w/CTD (climb-trail-descend) remote FIT damper, rebound, E2 tapered steerer, 15QR thru axle, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 100mm travel
Sizes 15.5, 17.5, 19, 21, 23"
Wheels Bontrager Race Lite Tubeless Ready, 15mm front, 142x12 rear
Tyres Bontrager XR1 Team Issue Tubeless Ready w/Stacked Lacing, aramid bead, 29x2.2"
Shifters Shimano Deore XT, 10 speed
Front derailleur Shimano Deore XT
Rear derailleur Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus
Crank Shimano Deore XT, 38/26
Cassette Shimano Deore XT 11-36, 10 speed
Saddle Bontrager Evoke 3, titanium rails
Seatpost Bontrager Race Lite, 27.2mm, 5mm offset
Handlebar Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon low-riser, 31.8mm, 5mm rise
Stem Bontrager Race X Lite, 31.8mm, 7 degree
Headset FSA IS-2, E2, sealed cartridge bearing
Brakeset Shimano Deore XT hydraulic disc
Grips ESI Chunky, silicone

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

No wonder I couldn't find that frame on the trek website - it's a UK/Europe spec bike! Comparing it to the 9.9, it looks like the same frame, just with a lower set of components to drop the price. It also has the removable rock guard, which will drop weight, if you can live without it.

In terms of material, it appears to be made of the same carbon. All those frames are made in Taiwan, and Trek doesn't offer any distinction in Mountain Carbon as they do in Road carbon (300, 400 & 500 are Taiwan, 600 & 700 are US made, only). I'm going to assume that if they make no distinction, it's the same material used (probably in different layups, though). The way I would look at it is to compare the 9.8SL to a 9.9SL, not a 9.8. If that's the case AND you can swing the money, then I would go with the 9.8SL.

BTW, I have a Superfly (2013) frame that I'm currently riding. The bare frame (21" - XL) weighs in at 1407g.

njee20

by njee20

Is that a carbon 'SL' frame? They're claimed 896g, that's really disappointing if so!

I've got the same dilemma. In the UK at least there's a 9.8 frame (which retails for £1000) and an SL frame, only available as a 9.8/9.9 complete bike, costing £1100 more than the non-SL one of the same spec.

Frame is obviously different, to the tune of £1100, but how different?! If we're talking 200g I'll take the £1100, if the non-SL is more like 1500g that's pretty disappointing.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

No, I have the lower-level Superfly frame (blue and white). It's the basic carbon frame. The 9-series frames are more advanced (internal cabling, channels, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wenanwhere

by wenanwhere

From what I can see the only difference on the 9.8 compared with 9.8sl is that the sl has micro truss and removal armour. As you say though based on the spec of bikes there must be some difference. I sent a message to Trek asking but haven't got a reply. Saying they don't spec bike weights is pretty lame on the website as well.

njee20

by njee20

No, I have the lower-level Superfly frame (blue and white). It's the basic carbon frame. The 9-series frames are more advanced (internal cabling, channels, etc).

Except in the UK there are two - a 9.8 and a 9.8 SL, sounds like that's the 'normal' 9.8, which is a bit disappointing.

From what I can see the only difference on the 9.8 compared with 9.8sl is that the sl has micro truss and removal armour

And the fully integrated headset, internal cable routing, and carbon seatclamp.

Those things aren't likely to make more than 100g of difference though, so I'd still expect the standard 9.8 to be <1100g.

SuperflyR

by SuperflyR

Superfly 9.8 weight is 10.6 kg that is the bike as it is shown on the trek site and in a 19,5 inch framesize.

njee20

by njee20

Spoke to Trek UK who said 10.62kg for the 9.8 SL bike, and 10.15kg for the standard 9.8. So there's quite a difference in the frames - 900g vs 1370g, which seems a little excessive if anything.

michel2

by michel2

i would stay away from the superfly's all together, not sure how you intend to use the bike and have heavy/strong you are but had my superfly replaced after the bottom bracket fell out, ass in oversized bearings didt fit..i mean who thought it was a good idea to you fit a random size bearings in a carbon frame.i tried to sell it but have a look online,ebay in the states how many people try the same thing

on the positive side it rides really fantastic but i haven't ridden any other 29-ers...

njee20

by njee20

I've had Top Fuels with the BB95 carbon shell for 4 years, so not worried about that frankly.

As an aside I've noticed there are other differences between the two bikes - the wheels (DT X1800 vs Bonty RL) and forks (SID RL vs Float 32 CTD), so probably only a couple of hundred grams in the frame, which was what I thought originally.

Varaxis

by Varaxis

Not worried about BB95 either, considering how it worked with GXP bearings on the '10 SF models.

Seen a '14 Superfly that weight 17lbs (with gears and susp fork) on MTBR classifieds, that some singlespeed racer decided to sell off. Looked like one of the few changes was an upgrade to the newest XXX wheels (1350g, fancy hubs and rims).

njee20

by njee20

Interesting the 2014 XXX Lite wheels are alu... 1380g claimed, which makes them a good chunk lighter than the carbon ones!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com