stages or power2max?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidalone

by davidalone

HI all, gathering some opinions on this.

I currently ride a 2011 FSA K forcelight Megaexo crankset- love it. looks sharp, matches my bike, spins forever and shifts well. but I'm in the market for a crank based powermeter and thus will have to change crank. However, I am particularly fussy about chainring options, and I like having he 52/36 setup that I currently have. so, its either going to be a compact setup or a special setup (like SRM have for the FSA K force model.- which I would buy but is really way out of my budget for me, or shimano's new 4 arm system or FSA's new 5 arm standard)

so I've narrowed it down to a few options:

1) power2max K force light compact model. pros are that I get to preserve the aesthetic on my bike. cons are it is the most expensive option

2) power2max rotor 3Dplus compact version- looks simlar to the K force light, so aesthetic is still kept around the same. not as expensive as the K force light.

3) Ultegra 6800 stages powermeter. cons are that I'll be stuck with ONLY shimano 4 arm chainrings which are expensive... and of course left side only power.

4) hunt around on fleabay for a FSA K force 130/110 SRM.

what would you do?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Same dilemma : I'll be waiting until around 3rd week of December to see if either of the company will put any sales/discount.

I'm most likely going with Stages for the ease of transferring it to another bike as I have 2. The full Ultegra crank option goes head to head cost-wise with the P2M FSA Gossamer although it doesn't have the rings (so that's added cost).

I'm not too concerned with the left leg power only.

Rick

by Rick

What ruled out Sram/Quark ?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

g32ecs wrote:Same dilemma : I'll be waiting until around 3rd week of December to see if either of the company will put any sales/discount.

Given the recent P2M price drop and the fact Stages is so new to the market, not sure either have any reason to drop their prices in December...

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Stages DID have a coupon code for Dec of 2012. I'll be also looking at adding the $125 for an extended warranty so this affects the price. It'll be pretty much the same as the 3D Rotor + Praxis chainrings/BOR

We'll see. I'm ok with the "virtual" power that Traineroad is giving me right at the moment. I'll be formally doing my blocks in mid-January so I'm in no rush.

davidalone

by davidalone

No qarq cos it's much more eexpensive, and my mechanic ( whom I trust) has said the waterproofing sucks.

I'm tempted by the 3d plus. Can get so many BB standards that it'd prettymuch be future proof on any bike you buy.

mentok

by mentok

yeah, personally very close to pulling the trigger on the p2m 3d+ due to the degrees of flexibility.

single leg VS both leg measurement is not worth overlooking if you're going to do a lot of work on a trainer...

kojtl1000

by kojtl1000

Anyone in this topic pulled the trigger on either one? I am in exactly the same situation and really don't know what to do.
Price and ease of installation on Stages are really tempting, but am really in doubt on one leg measuring.
power2max is not as easy to install and about twice the price (I could reuse my DA 9000 chain rings), but measures both legs.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

P2M is simple to install. If you can remove a non-drive side crank you can install a Power2Max.

Price is Stages big trump card.

Greater accuracy is Power2Max's. I saved a few more dollars and went P2M. Don't regret it.

JensW

by JensW

kojtl1000 wrote:Anyone in this topic pulled the trigger on either one? I am in exactly the same situation and really don't know what to do.
Price and ease of installation on Stages are really tempting, but am really in doubt on one leg measuring.
power2max is not as easy to install and about twice the price (I could reuse my DA 9000 chain rings), but measures both legs.

but what is it that makes it so hard to install p2m? as a se it, of those two, p2m type 2 seams to be the best. Sure, stages will be even easier to instal, and are smaller/lighter, but you always comes back to that it measure one leg and dubble it. and even if it´s mostly okay and right i can't se the reason when you have two. and is it really twice the price? here in europe it is different in price, but not twice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com