Shimano BB Crank compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Oswald

by Oswald

A couple of questions here :-)

I have a BMC GF01 with a BB86 Ultegra bottem bracket.
Can I replace this with a BB91 Dura Ace bottem bracket? (Can get my hands on one at a good price)
Can I replace my Ultegra cranks with Dura Ace 7900 or 9000 using the BB86 Ultegra or BB91 Dura Ace bottem bracket?
Can I use a Dura Ace 9000 crankset with a Dura Ace 7900 group? So will the 10 speed KMC chain and DA 7900 front mech work with the 11 speed DA chainrings?
Is the crankset for a SM-BB7900 different then the crankset for a SM-BB86 Press Fit?

Thx

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

1. Yes, BB86 and 91 are the same
2. Both
3. Yes, the 10-speed chain will function fine.
4. No, all Shimano Hollowtech II cranks have the same spindle diameter/length.

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

Cool, thx !!

Oswald

by Oswald

If I buy a crankset online, is the Crank Arm Fixing Bolt included with it? I mean the big center bolt that attaches the left crank arm to the axle?
I may have found a buyer for my crankset, but am not sure if I should also give him the bolt. Don't want to end up buying a new crankset online and then having to place a new order for a bolt... Also, is there a difference between the Dura Ace 7900 and Ultegra 6800 bolts? I'm not talking about weight, just need to find out if they are interchangable.

Thx!

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Yes, it's included, there's no reason to separate the bolt from the crank. Note that it doesn't hold the left crank on, it exists ONLY as a bearing preload. The pinch bolts hold the left crank arm on.

Oh, and a shameless plug, I wrote a post answering your original question in some detail: http://thesetbackpost.com/mechanics/shi ... of-things/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

Thx :-)