Bora 35 vs Bora + Hyperon ( or in general 35 vs 50+24 )

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bora 35 vs Bora+Hyperon

Buy the Bora 35 sell the others
19%
Keep the Bora 50 + Hyperons
52%
Buy all of them ;)
23%
Other
6%

Total votes: 31

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

willy wrote:Salsalover, 35 mm is a great rim IMO, but would keep hyperons, for looks, performance and reliability. I have boras as well, and even in the dead flatlands of Florida, sometimes opt for hyperons.
I also have the mv32t Reynolds, 32 mm, great rims, and would prefer them above all if they where campy, since, like it was posted earlier, reliability and cult performance is great. They have dt240 hubs which are not shabby though, and weigh 1040 grs., quite lighter than the 35s that are coming.
Regardless, don't sell the hyperons, they look great on ur c50, will look even better on c59 ad10 and based on your location, seem like a perfect choice.
By the way, wiggle has the 35s for around 1850 US dollars.

Hy Willy, yes indeed the Hyperons are also my favorite carbon wheelset.

Yes the Boras feel faster, and are just a tiny bit heavier, but, as my riding is mostly on hills, the Hyperons are the most suitable ( or the Record/OP for Alu clinchers ) lighter to accelerate, no cross wind drag, that could be a problem up on the hills or descending.

That's why I am so tempted by those new Bora 35, they seem to be as light as the Hyperons, G3 lacing, better aerodynamics, external nipples and a better braking track, what's not to like ?

My Cosmic Aluminum set is a 35mm so I will experiment with it before fully deciding, but hélas that one is a lot heavier than the Boras.

BTW, I have already enough money on the "bike fund" to order the C59 AD10 and I got a good deal from Mike, I just have to decide if I want to place the order now and receive it in september, or wait until December and then receive it on March for my birthday....
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

RM27

by RM27

Are the Bora 35 available? I have yet to see any stores that carry them, can't even find them with online retailers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

It's on the 2014 collection, I guess it should be already available, in any case I would be ordering these only at beginning of the next spring
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

RM27

by RM27

SalsaLover wrote:It's on the 2014 collection, I guess it should be already available, in any case I would be ordering these only at beginning of the next spring

Curious as to why wait until spring. Weather, long term reviews on the wheel set or something else?

F45

by F45

What is the attraction to the Bora series? They have an obsolete rim design and are very expensive.

corky

by corky

F45 wrote:What is the attraction to the Bora series? They have an obsolete rim design and are very expensive.

sum of the parts is greater...... etc.

obsolete? .... how so?.....maybe notthe most aero, but that will matter only to a few IMHO

sawyer

by sawyer

Buy the 35s, see how they ride, then make the call on the others.

My guess is you might end up selling the 50s and keeping the Hyperons.

Re the comment about Bora 50 not having aero properties - bollox, check the Tour data in a number of tests. Less aero than 404s for sure but in the pack for their depth.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Devon wrote:I'd personally get the 35s. I'm not a fan of 50mm rims for two reasons;

1. I'm a climber
2. Wind. I live in a fairly windy area and deep sections are just terrible around here.

I'd argue that 35mm rims are much more versatile and more usable in a variety of situations. I plan to start saving for a set Bora 35s

If you don't mind me saying, from what you list you'd be much better of investing in a set of Hyperons instead of 35mm deep set.

Personally I view a set of medium deep wheels more as a consumer market oriented product than a pure race oriented offering. IOW, it's not going to shine in any particular discipline I can think of IMHO.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Permon

by Permon

Hello guys,

I have a similar issue as the OP to be solved.

I have been running Hyperons for more than 5 years. Withnout any issue......just a bullet proof wheelset!
Now, I am about to buy new wheels, BORA or BORA35. (will keep the Hyperons)

Logically, it would be smart to buy BORA (50mm) and keep Hyperons = bullet proof combo.

The problem is that I am not a guy who is changing wheels often....so, I doubt I would be switching from BORA to Hyperons regularly (I only plan to use Hyperons for my regular trips to Alps)

From this point of view I am more like buying BORA 35 and run them 95% of the year.
So, what would You choose as a 95% time wheelset? BORA or BORA35?

Please, Your opinions.
Thank you!

P.S. is there any BORA vs. BORA 35 comparisson available? What is the aerodynamics of BORA 35 like comparing to BORA?

LionelB

by LionelB

If you keep the Hyperon I'd go with the Bora 50, going from one to the other takes a minute.

tommasini

by tommasini

On my "everyday" bike I run my bora's (50mm) about 75% of the time and some 38 deep (16 hole with specially laced record hubs) the other 25%. The only reason I switch away from the Bora's on that bike is because that 25% is early season/late season so saving the nicer wheels from a small bit of avoidable wear.

If you want 1 and only 1 wheelset I'd say go with the 35's. But since you would be keeping your low profile I'd suggest the 50's for the second wheelset.

And if you are debating between dark label and regular - here's a comparison (BTW 50's are the only thing I run on the pictured special day steed....)

http://s155.photobucket.com/user/tommas ... ort=6&o=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s155.photobucket.com/user/tommas ... sort=6&o=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RM27

by RM27

I've never owned a set of Bora 50 so I can't comment on those. I do however currently own the Bora 35. I find the 35 to be impervious to wind so far and the new braking surface is spectacular. I still find the wheels on the stiff side but I think that is more do to with the fact that I'm running 23mm tires on this set up vs 25 on my LW wheels.

I still want to try the Corima Viva S (32mm) and suggest looking at those as well. Hard to get feedback from users on that model but most people who own Corima praise them.

LionelB

by LionelB

RM27 wrote:Hard to get feedback from users on that model but most people who own Corima praise them.

Not me anymore, my rear Winium cracked after 4500km of regular riding and no notable pothole or anything special. Yes the rim was 4 years old and after inspecting it and declaring it dead Corima offered 50 euros discount on a new one (a 336 euros rim). I declined and moved on. I'll stick with Campy now. Sure the warranty is 2 years and Corima did not "have" to do anything about it and they did not :shock:

RM27

by RM27

LionelB wrote:
RM27 wrote:Hard to get feedback from users on that model but most people who own Corima praise them.

Not me anymore, my rear Winium cracked after 4500km of regular riding and no notable pothole or anything special. Yes the rim was 4 years old and after inspecting it and declaring it dead Corima offered 50 euros discount on a new one (a 336 euros rim). I declined and moved on. I'll stick with Campy now. Sure the warranty is 2 years and Corima did not "have" to do anything about it and they did not :shock:

That's not good to hear. I guess I should say generally praised.

I did post a while back for feedback on the Viva S and didn't get any response from people that owned the wheel. The weight seems great, very close to the Ventoux and much better price.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com