Clincher Tire Suggestion 700x25?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Hey everyone,

I'm interested in swapping out the Mavic tires that came on my Ksyrium Elite wheelset to something a bit wider. I'm looking to go to 25's and was wondering if there were any go to suggestions for this? Right now I'm looking at Conti Grand Prix 4000s mainly however I have heard Vittoria's are very nice. These will be used in all conditions on my bike that I use for training and racing.

Possible:
Conti Grand Prix 4000s
Vittoria Open Pave CG III
Vittoria Open Corsa CX III
??

Any other suggestions or things I should consider?

Looking for something that has decent durability but at the same time isn't too "slow" and still has decent grip through corners and in adverse conditions. Basically a solid all-around choice, doesn't have to be the lightest *I know this is a WW crime*.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

eric

by eric

The GP4000s has good rolling resistance, sticks well in the dry and in the wet, and lasts a long time. I use them for training and sometimes racing. Michelin Pro4s ride a bit nicer and have even better traction in the dry but not in the wet, and don't last as long.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

Veloflex corsa 25

kac

by kac

I second the recommendation for the Continental GP4000. I ride in the Pacific NW mostly on chip-seal road surfaces and these tires hold up extremely well, especially compared to the Michelin 3 and 4 series (both of which I have used and both of which were worn out relatively quickly and on which I had frequent flats).

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Forgot to include this, I specifically WILL NOT get a pair of Michelin Pro Race's. Had the 3's and the 4's and both did not survive the roads here for very long.

RM27

by RM27

I've been running a 25 Conti 4000 S for about a full season. I have nothing but good things to say about the tire. Grips great, comfortable and durable.

kode54

by kode54

SolidSnake03 wrote:Forgot to include this, I specifically WILL NOT get a pair of Michelin Pro Race's. Had the 3's and the 4's and both did not survive the roads here for very long.

used the Pro3 and Pro4s...had a few mishaps on dry roads with water run-off. plus, lots of nicks from road debris. the Conti 4000s have been my primary tire of choice these days, 23 and 25s. been using the 700x23 on my Enve 3.4...which spreads them to the wider width of the rim. makes for a nice and stable patch with the pavement.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

DMF

by DMF

Strange, I've always felt like the Pro3/4 (Service Course) are just superb in the wet. Wet with debris, not so much but what tire is... What pressures are you guys running in the wet with Pro3/4 SC's? I've been on about 95 front, 100 rear on the 23's (19mm rims, I'm ~70kg)

But for durability, I suppose nothing actually compares to GP4000s, they just excel in everything, Crr, grip, weight for what they are, hell I've even seen they trump a lot of the competition in aerodynamics. Just that they ride like hockey pucks...

I'd ride them if it wasn't for that last part...

em3

by em3

Vittoria CX or Pave with latex tubes = as close to a tubular ride as u can get w/out going tubular. Veloflex r great too but their 25c tires barely measure out to 23-23.5c.

Continental 4000s r nice too...very durable but no where near the supple ride that the Vitts will provide. Lou

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

get the veloflex corsa 25's with some latex tubes... you will not regret it

eric

by eric

DMF wrote:Strange, I've always felt like the Pro3/4 (Service Course) are just superb in the wet. Wet with debris, not so much but what tire is... What pressures are you guys running in the wet with Pro3/4 SC's? I've been on about 95 front, 100 rear on the 23's (19mm rims, I'm ~70kg)

They're not terrible in the wet, but a step or two below the GP4000s.
I use the same pressures but weigh about 5kg less.

Pressure doesn't make as much of a difference for wet traction as tread compound.

DMF

by DMF

Yes I realize traction or friction isn't directly correlated to pressure, but higher pressure may cause the tire to skip more on the uneven surface, causing loss of traction, being more dangerous in the wet when friction is already lower. So sure, there's not more traction with lower pressures, there's just less chance of completely loosing traction.

Was mostly curious if someone was running them at 120-130psi (as some seem to do), in which case they might feel a bit scary bouncing around thru wet sharp corners...

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Alright everyone thanks so much for the suggestions! It looks like the Grand Prix are a great all-rounder choice. I have actually ridden them in the past before trying out Michelin which is why they were the first thing I thought of. I did like the durability/all-around great performance but agree that the ride *feel* wasn't amazing. Now granted I understand tires can't be perfect.

Part of me wants to try the Open Corsa but I'm concerned with punctures/durability...winter is approaching and would hate to be changing flats out there.

Anyone able to comment on the puncture resistance of the Vittoria Open Corsa CX III's? Or the Pave's? I don't really want to go Pave's since it wouldn't match the bike at all *vain I know* but would consider if they were superior....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I rode Pave's last winter with success (no punctures). I would not say they are superior to the 4000s in any way other than *feel*