The official : "what have you bought today" topic

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

More goodies for the C59...

Tune U20's (they almost floated off the floor)...

carbonLORD.com

liam7020

by liam7020

Hope you have better success with tune skewers than I've managed. Have both the AC14 and DC14 and neither set would hold the rear wheel in place.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I wonder, do yours have the end nuts that seat into the dropouts? I'd never seen that before though mine came with both that and traditional end caps. I will set them up tomorrow and give them a spin. Hopefully the weight isn't the only feature they offer. We'll see... I'll report back after a ride!
carbonLORD.com

liam7020

by liam7020

carbonLORD wrote:I wonder, do yours have the end nuts that seat into the dropouts? I'd never seen that before though mine came with both that and traditional end caps. I will set them up tomorrow and give them a spin. Hopefully the weight isn't the only feature they offer. We'll see... I'll report back after a ride!

The levers in your photo are identical to my DC14 skewers except that my pair do indeed have traditional end nuts. The earlier version, AC14, were completely different. No matter how tight I close them neither model seem to hold my rear wheel in place and there's only so much force you're prepared to use, especially with carbon dropouts. Hope you have better luck tomorrow!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Didn't even get past the front wheel before I realized they are not right for me, bummer.

Not to nitpick but a pair of €200 skewers deserves to get picked on, a little.

Starting with the front wheel, I installed the end cap that seats into the dropout upside down and quickly realized it when the wheel was sitting cockeyed. Flipped it and gave it a second try, the quick release lever didn't line up on my fork. This was not a deal breaker but I do notice the levers on this design fold in further then any other skewers Ive owned. So, I positioned the lever as far inward as possible and gave the front end a bounce test... ((((brrrrr)))) :? !?!?! Well that aint right! Wheel sounds like my hubs preload wasn't adjusted, rattle, vibration, no good.

Alright, let me try the standard end caps then. I liked the idea of a seated ones but the lever doesn't line up so...

Third attempt. By now I'm thinking I wouldn't want to use these in a race, but this isn't my race bike anyway. I read the included instructions and torqued them down no more then the Zipp skewers before them but the rattle and vibration from the front wheel was still there.

Took them off, put the Zipp skewers back on and the C59 is solid once again.

The closing action and workmanship of the TUNE skewers is topnotch. IMO the axle is too thin which may have somehow contributed to the vibration I was feeling.

I bought some Zipp Ti skewers to save 10g last season and had the same problem as you with the slipping rear wheel so I'll just stick to the ones that came with my 404's.

Anyone want a set of TUNE U20's?
carbonLORD.com

liam7020

by liam7020

Yeah, I found that even the cheapo carbon/ti skewers off ebay do a much better job than the tune skewers. Considerably cheaper and <10g heavier, and that's bearing in mind that the ebay skewers come with springs which makes changing the wheel much easier. As you say I could never envisage using any of the tune skewers in a race situation.

In general I've found any tune products I've owned to be a tad hit and miss. The skewers we've discussed but also the Gum Gum headset expander which was totally and utterly useless; I've had 3 Mag 180 hubs and on all of them the freehub splines became chewed up after less than 200kms; the Giels (sp?) stem was extortionately priced and as a WW the actual weight was extremely disappointing. I also own a set of Schwarzbrenner 42C wheels and they are indeed a very nice set of hoops but after less than 500kms they needed to be completely re-trued. Luckily I was able to do it myself but working with the internal nipples was a complete PITA. Just glad they weren't tubs!

Anyhow just my 2 cents worth about tune....
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no need to quote. this is a reply. thanks

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Garmin Vector Pedals
Thanks to my 3 brothers

danbjpa

by danbjpa

an explicit WW item

purchased from prendrefeu - thanks dude!

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

edit
Speedplay is the devil!

nismosr

by nismosr

2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

jekyll man

by jekyll man

A few goodies this week :mrgreen:

New disco slippers:

Untitled by jekyll man, on Flickr

Some old stock S2 shorts from the assos factory outlet:

Ridley EOS winter training frame:

Official cafe stop tester

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

SLR01 as a training bike and SLR02 as a race bike.

We just picked up Cervelo as a dealer so I also ordered a S2 to try out for a couple of months.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

ilvwhtgrls wrote:SLR01 as a training bike and SLR02 as a race bike.

Nice! I thought it would be the other way around SLR01 as race and SLR02 as train?

The S2 still looks great as well.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Chorus cass 11-27t.. the 12-27 will now go on the wahoo kickr
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

dereksmalls wrote:
ilvwhtgrls wrote:SLR01 as a training bike and SLR02 as a race bike.

Nice! I thought it would be the other way around SLR01 as race and SLR02 as train?

The S2 still looks great as well.

While I absolutely love the SLR01, I'll probably keep it for the occasional road race and training rides. The SLR02 is a little heavier but much cheaper to replace in the event of a crash. Most of our race season is based around crits.

From a business perspective, Cervelo has been great and I've always wanted one. The S2 should be a nice contrast to the BMCs. I think I have a Rotor 3D crank with some Aero Rings for it as well!! Will post pics of all three bikes soon.

The pic of the SLR01 was from the summer at the BMC dealer event in Grenchen. I've always been a huge fan of the bikes and these bikes will be my third and fourth over the last couple of years.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com