Tenerife. First-hand experiences?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I arrive tomorrow. I haven't been able to ride much the past 10 weeks as I have been at sea or in the jungles of west Africa. I'm looking forward to riding, but I don't think I'll enjoy it as much as when I was fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bigben99

by bigben99

WOW, really fantastic place to cycle

synchronicity wrote:Anaga is a fantastic place to cycle...

sawyer

by sawyer

Ted - let us know how you get on :thumbup:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

This is the plan for tomorrow. Or should I say later today?

trychle

by trychle

Have fun! ;)

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Well, today did not go as planned. Due to unforeseen circumstances I wasn't able to get on the road until 10 a.m. I planned a 6 a.m. departure. After 3 months on the ship with only a few hours on the trainer I just didn't have it to make it to the top. After 50km of non-stop climbing, I realized I could make it to the top in time for sunset, but then would be screwed trying to get back. So I decided to cut my losses and make it a metric century. I'm disappointed I didn't make it to the top, but glad to be back inside before dark.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Did you start some kilometers from the beginning of the climb? The gradient chart above shows 48 km to the top, or is that top not really the top top?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

This is the correct profile. I started from Santa Cruz on the North end of the island.

sawyer

by sawyer

Ted - hope you enjoyed it ! 100km is still respectable in any man's language ... can you get out again to make it to the caldera?

See what we meant about relentless? :lol:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Unfortunately, yesterday was my only free day... and the late start pretty much killed it. It was a beautiful ride. I really did enjoy it. While constant climbing, it wasn't unbearable. Plenty of false flats and a few stretches where I could spin easily for a while. Were I in better shape, as I was at the end of July, I think I could have made it. But, after nearly three months confined to a ship, this was a bit much for a first real ride. I think I'll make a trip back here in the spring and give it another go. I think my family would enjoy a short holiday on the island.

Rappid

by Rappid

Tenerife, great place for long climbs. I was based in Medano city.
There is 45km non stop climb from sea level to the top 2100m (took around 2h20-30min,
best time is 2h if I good remember. Then 2km long downhill and you are at 1900m flat
moon like terrain. If you follow main road you will get to the hotel when you can grab
a nice coffee and if you are lucky enough you can t ake a word with Chris Froome
(he's training there in June).
Very small amount of cyclist, I have met on the road around 3 each day.
Different story on Gran Canaria :)