Powerful mini pump required

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

project3

by project3

i owned two of lezyne pump and i think we are all over rated lezyne. my experienced with a puncture is after about 46 pumps, it feels very hot and still have not reach my desire inflation that i want.

i have not try other pump before but i have a mag review about most popular pump and if not mistakes the best is topeak hpx, price vs performance and how stroke of pump to reach the xxxpsi

after a new puncture, im starting to carry canister with me and still bringing the hand pump along.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=112673

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

That kinda sucks.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kac

by kac

prendrefeu wrote:let me continue that for you:

... and wasteful(1), and short-lasting (2), and costly(3), and limited(4)

So therefore mini-pump > C02 pump unless you're in a short (less than 100km) race w/o support.

Footnotes:
1. The amount of energy needed to create each cartridge, fill it with compressed air, ship it to your door all for one use is ridiculous. Only a very small percentage are actually ever recycled, the majority end up in landfills. Those that are recycled for metal content do not simply get re-filled: an entirely new cartridge has to be created for new sales, they are not re-used, along with all the energy needed to make that possible. Using compressed air cartridges is a bit of a 'f*ck you' to the planet when there are better, more intelligent resources available that are efficient, reusable, and longer lasting.
2. C02 leaves the tube faster than normal air mixture. Ever get a flat 100mi in with another 100mi to go? Your best bet is use a mini-pump or pray that someone has a floor pump in your near future.
3. Shit costs money, yo. One mini-pump = $45, years of use and no-limit to the amount of tubes it can pump up. Cartridges are a cost per use (and waste per use)
4. How many cartridges are you willing to carry on an extended ride? What if one releases gas through a poor valve connection? That's one less. A mini-pump is not limited in usage, and it's only one unit you have to carry - not a quantity of units.

Besides - use a mini-pump and give your arms a little exercise, eh? If you're properly fit and a well balanced athlete as you think you should be, getting a TopPeak Micro CF up to 120psi really isn't that big of a deal.

Very nicely stated!! I entirely agree with these important observations. I've used a small Lezyne for a few years and I've had no problems with it. Plus, the small air hose saves many a tube. It's not that hard to pump a tire to an acceptable pressure by hand and the C02 alternative is, as PF wrote, not really justifiable.

kode54

by kode54

Rick wrote:The Blackburn Airstick will actually get you there. It will take about 300 pumps, but I have one and it works.
(I carry CO2 as the first line of defense.)

http://www.blackburndesign.com/pumps/ai ... MdgAuRIizk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just an FYI, i had an airstick on my frame for months. when i needed to use it...the entire pump fell apart. i suppose riding in the rain eventually froze some of the pieces together. so when i got the chance to use it...it failed. i'm using a Shimano Pro CNC frame pump. well made and slightly heavier with a flex hose to attach to the presta valve. used several times and 5 months old now and still works like new.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

kac wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:let me continue that for you:

... and wasteful(1), and short-lasting (2), and costly(3), and limited(4)

So therefore mini-pump > C02 pump unless you're in a short (less than 100km) race w/o support.

Footnotes:
1. The amount of energy needed to create each cartridge, fill it with compressed air, ship it to your door all for one use is ridiculous. Only a very small percentage are actually ever recycled, the majority end up in landfills. Those that are recycled for metal content do not simply get re-filled: an entirely new cartridge has to be created for new sales, they are not re-used, along with all the energy needed to make that possible. Using compressed air cartridges is a bit of a 'f*ck you' to the planet when there are better, more intelligent resources available that are efficient, reusable, and longer lasting.
2. C02 leaves the tube faster than normal air mixture. Ever get a flat 100mi in with another 100mi to go? Your best bet is use a mini-pump or pray that someone has a floor pump in your near future.
3. Shit costs money, yo. One mini-pump = $45, years of use and no-limit to the amount of tubes it can pump up. Cartridges are a cost per use (and waste per use)
4. How many cartridges are you willing to carry on an extended ride? What if one releases gas through a poor valve connection? That's one less. A mini-pump is not limited in usage, and it's only one unit you have to carry - not a quantity of units.

Besides - use a mini-pump and give your arms a little exercise, eh? If you're properly fit and a well balanced athlete as you think you should be, getting a TopPeak Micro CF up to 120psi really isn't that big of a deal.

Very nicely stated!! I entirely agree with these important observations. I've used a small Lezyne for a few years and I've had no problems with it. Plus, the small air hose saves many a tube. It's not that hard to pump a tire to an acceptable pressure by hand and the C02 alternative is, as PF wrote, not really justifiable.

i also carry a presta to schraeder adapter. the mini pump will only take me so far...and when i spot a gas station...i'll top off the tires then.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

project3

by project3

i will have both hand-pump and CO2 with me and i bought this

http://www.xlab-usa.com/products/rear-a ... trike.html

dmp

by dmp

I can confirm what predrefeu said- thankfully I have had to use my Topeak Micro CF pump only twice, but I was quite impressed that it was able to get the tire to full pressure with less work than I suspected. Quite a bit more than my Silca track pump, mind you, but this thing does work, weighs about 60g, and easily fits in a jersey pocket. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

dvincere

by dvincere

I guess someone needs to tell the admins a frame pump and a mini pump are different.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

How often do you dudes flat? For me it is pretty rare and as such I carry items that will get me home while being light and compact in my pockets. As this is WW's I would expect more appreciation for compact size, efficient inflation and time savings.

And Prend...
1.) If you are actually concerned about the waste created by a few co2 canisters per year then perhaps you should give up cycling. Does it keep you up for nights when you throw out a punctured tube or a gel wrapper? How much embodied energy was required to build/transport your carbon frame from china or to grow, harvest, process, and transport the additional food you are required to consume to fuel your cycling? It's splitting hairs for the sack of argument no?
2.) I have never had a problem getting home comfortably after a flat in close to 20yrs of using co2.
3.) Do you see the irony of you refefring to using one pump for life a thread about buying new pump technology that just came on the market.
4.) I carry a single co2 or vittoria pitstop on each ride. I have been riding and racing bikes for many years and only carry a pump when I am on remote solo MTB rides. I don't do it but two co2 cartridges would be preferred to a pump sticking out of my pocket or hanging off my frame.

The title of the thread is "powerful mini pump". That is an Oxymoron in my opinion.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Not really related but I am seeing more and more of these around on the middle aged new to cycling cervelos these days... yikes.

KvnP

by KvnP

I've been using the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV and boy, it gets up to 110 pretty quick ! (hulk arms not required & got up to 105-110 many times)

It feels weird to have in your jersey at first although while riding, I tend to forget that I have it
(does come with a frame mount but hey, this is weightweenies right?)
Parlee Z3c
Independent Fabrication SSR // 953
Independent Fabrication Planet X
Knolly Chilcotin

eric

by eric

Everyone has different ideas and priorities.

I've had some multi-flat rides including one five flat ride with most of the flats in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage. A single co2 is not enough for that. I like to be prepared. And even when I can get cell coverage I'd rather not call for a ride home unless I really need it.

A Co2 cart (58g for a 16g cart) plus inflator (15-40g) is not lighter than a light pump. Blackburn airstick sl, 58g. Lezyne medium road drive, 96g.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

@petepeterson

Wow. Okay, you need to try harder. When reading what you wrote the overwhelming response was that of disappointment.
But, here we go:

petepeterson wrote:And Prend...
1.) If you are actually concerned about the waste created by a few co2 canisters per year then perhaps you should give up cycling. Does it keep you up for nights when you throw out a punctured tube or a gel wrapper? How much embodied energy was required to build/transport your carbon frame from china or to grow, harvest, process, and transport the additional food you are required to consume to fuel your cycling? It's splitting hairs for the sack of argument no?

No, it isn't splitting hairs. Are you daft?
Punctured tubes? I patch them and re-use them at least once. After two patches it's given to the local bike cooperative for someone else to use - which is usually someone who can't afford a regular, new bike and more often than not depends on the bicycle as their only means of transportation in the Los Angeles area. Seriously, pete, how about being considerate towards others? Tubes can be re-used as belts, rack-straps, woven to make chairs (as a friend of mine did recently, full dining set!), and so much more. How about being a little thoughtful and this might be a stretch for you - creative - with the materials in your hands?

Gel wrapper? First, not really using gels anymore. But when I did, I mostly used the flask system. On occasion I have used sample gel packets of miscellaneous flavors from the trade shows, but even those I stash into my pocket... and I know this might sound shocking, but I throw them into my recycling bin and they get recycled.

My sleep patterns have never been affected by these concerns, but thank you for expressing some interest. :wink:

Carbon components? Recycling techniques are being developed... and oh hey, I can actually repair most components instead of binning them! Who knew?!
Aluminum? I've broken a few frames in my time. Guess what I did with them? I recycled them.
Steel frames? Ditto. Recycled or donated to the local cooperative.
Heck, everything I've re-used, re-cycled, or donated so that the lifespan of that product does not end with me.

Your argument about embodied energy is short sighted because you're overlooking the basic concept of product use lifespan (aka service life).

So, pete, are you just lazy? Do you see a mountain and think: oh, that might take too much work, I'll just not even bother pedaling towards it. ? Sounds like it. Your other points are valid - but your argument is that one should not make an effort at all because of the task at hand towards improving how we operate.

Riding with you must be miserable and defeatist.

petepeterson wrote:2.) I have never had a problem getting home comfortably after a flat in close to 20yrs of using co2.

You must not ride very far, or you assume that your scenario applies to everyone in the entire world.

petepeterson wrote:3.) Do you see the irony of you refefring to using one pump for life a thread about buying new pump technology that just came on the market.

No, because my response was to the post prior to mine. Why don't you go back and read a little?

petepeterson wrote:4.) I carry a single co2 or vittoria pitstop on each ride. I have been riding and racing bikes for many years and only carry a pump when I am on remote solo MTB rides. I don't do it but two co2 cartridges would be preferred to a pump sticking out of my pocket or hanging off my frame.

You're repeating yourself. See response to #2, above, and please read my post, to which you replied, more carefully next time. As eric pointed out, have you even considered the weight of your total setup? This is WEIGHT WEENIES, kiddo.

petepeterson wrote:The title of the thread is "powerful mini pump". That is an Oxymoron in my opinion.

Yet you're showing yourself to be a moron?
I expect better from you. I really do. Your post in an attempt to one-up my response to a prior post was very disappointing, to be honest. Come on man, you're better than this.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Ridiculous example of internet forum discourse in a discussion about putting air in tires. Quite remarkable how my preference and opinions on tire inflation identifies the fact that I am a lazy moron who hates riding up hills and is miserable to ride with. Carry on with the mini pump discourse I'm done with this one!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Then why did you bother replying in the first place?
You have your preferences, but then you claim that using a mini-pump isn't worth the effort, your experience applies to all persons, and thoughtful intentions don't do anything. So a person replies to your arguments point by point and you say that it's a ridiculous example of discourse which you participated in ?

It's when people make flying accusations without validity then back down when they're being questioned that you get the 'typical' internet discourse you are claiming. You want a better internet level of discourse? Raise the level of your contributions to it.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.