Light grease for cermaic hub bearings?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Hi

I am looking for some light grease for the ceramic bearings in my Extralite UltraFront SPM front hub, and wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

I would like something with minimal drag, of course. I am not shy of taking things apart and regreasing every time I ride in the rain (which I try not to do ever), so the grease does not need to be mega weather proof.

Well, cheers in advance!

Owen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

atakaoka

by atakaoka

cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Nice one! Will check these out. Thanks a lot.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Ceramic grease :lol: :roll:

Q: Do full ceramic bearings need lubrication?

A: No, full ceramic bearings can be run completely dry. They do not need lubrication to run. Ceramic is non-porous, unlike steel, as a result it is virtually frictionless. Ceramic also dissipates heat very quickly, which is the same reason they use it on the underside of the space shuttle. Because there is no heat buildup and virtually no friction, full ceramic bearings can be run completely dry. They can be cleaned out with regular tap water or any cleaner, they are impervious to corrosion and can operate in a vacuum environment.

http://www.bocabearings.com/faq.aspx#help-g16
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

DMF

by DMF

Stella, you only forgot that we use hybrid ceramic bearings for the most part on bicycles, the bearing race is metal, or it would shatter and crack when used in a hub or headset, even in a BB it's a poor idea with full ceramics.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Yeah I have have the stainless steel race with ceramic bearings from VBX which come with grease. Although I question the use of "ceramic" specific bearing grease.

So we have a stainless steel race with ceramic bearing which really do not require grease to begin with.
The steel does to some extent so then would you need ceramic specific bearing grease?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

DMF

by DMF

Kind of like saying "Do you NEED to save 1 gram on bolt tuning", every 0,1w matters as much or more than 1g. It's the weenie lifestyle.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

OwenJames wrote:I would like something with minimal drag, of course. I am not shy of taking things apart and regreasing every time I ride in the rain (which I try not to do ever), so the grease does not need to be mega weather proof.

Use a light oil for least drag if you're prepared to service the hub regularly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com