11 Speed Junior Gearing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lucas1234

by Lucas1234

I am building a new bike and want to take advantage of the 11 speed system. Can you combine a 14-25 ultegra cassette with a 11 speed dura-ace cassette. If anyone has another idea, it would be greatly appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Colin

by Colin

I know this doesn't answer your question, but why not go for 45x12t? That way if you ever get a flat in a race and need to take a wheel you don't have to worry about getting a wheel with a 14t small cog.

Lucas1234

by Lucas1234

Colin: I want to run a 52x14 since I have my own spare wheels and a 45 is a track chainring a the shifting is not smooth with 10speed let alone 11 speed.

tdudzik

by tdudzik

I'm a junior and i've used 45x12t for two seasons now. There is one company that makes actual road 45t outer rings. Specialites TA, and its the zephyr model. You can buy it on probikekit, its the only place ive found so far. Also, 45x12 gives you 4" extra for a max of exactly 26' rollout, so somewhat of an advantage. You do lose some efficiency though.

Omiar

by Omiar

Lucas1234 wrote:I am building a new bike and want to take advantage of the 11 speed system. Can you combine a 14-25 ultegra cassette with a 11 speed dura-ace cassette. If anyone has another idea, it would be greatly appreciated.

No. The cog spacing between 10spd and 11spd is different.
Your best bet is to look some company that makes aftermarket cassettes and have them make one. Although I don't see much benefits going to 11spd. You are only gaining one lower gear. Just use traditional 45/39 in front, because I think you won't climb all hills on 45 front ring anyway.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

I apologise for the bluntness.

What's wrong with 10 speed?

You're still junior, don't stress? Your advantage will come from power output. You aren't going to win an U19 race with one extra cog.

Otherwise the suggestions are good. If you want 11 speed. Find someone that will make a 45t front ring.

Here's another tip. What are the neutral spare wheels? If they're 10 speed. Run 10 speed.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

Zoro

by Zoro

Lucas1234 wrote:I am building a new bike and want to take advantage of the 11 speed system. Can you combine a 14-25 ultegra cassette with a 11 speed dura-ace cassette. If anyone has another idea, it would be greatly appreciated.
I'm looking for the same. I heard one is coming in Jan. I plan to take a 11 speed and grind the teeth off the 12T and then block it.
I have mixed DA and Ultegra in the 10sps (use the Ti DA cogs and 14T Ultegra cogs). No data on anything except DA - so I can't know if I can do it.

I've heard some kids are racing 10sp on the 11sp setup just fine.

The hard part will be getting the 52X38 front DA rings vs. the 53X39 that comes on bikes.

Irish

by Irish

Miche do Shimano compatible 11spd cassettes from 14 up
http://www.miche.it/en/catalogo/catalog ... mato-11-sh

LouisN

by LouisN

If you run 11S in junior races, I suggest you make shure you can provide spare wheels with the same cassettes, either in the mechanics area or the following car and well identified, because most of the equipment/spare wheels will be 10S (90%+ Shimano/Sram in North america) for the next few years...

Louis :)

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

bobbyOCR wrote:I apologise for the bluntness.

You're still junior, don't stress? Your advantage will come from power output. You aren't going to win an U19 race with one extra cog.

Otherwise the suggestions are good. If you want 11 speed. Find someone that will make a 45t front ring.

Here's another tip. What are the neutral spare wheels? If they're 10 speed. Run 10 speed.

Agreed.

The only advantage to 11 speed right now is an extra middle gear, which is hardly and "advantage".

10 speed makes the most sense for every amateur bike racer.

Zoro

by Zoro

Irish wrote:Miche do Shimano compatible 11spd cassettes from 14 up
http://www.miche.it/en/catalogo/catalog ... mato-11-sh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good find. I will keep an eye on them.
Hard for me to figure it out exactly. Looks like their 14T alloy stuff is only Campy.
http://www.xxcycle.com/sprocket-11-v-mi ... 27,,en.php

Zoro

by Zoro

bobbyOCR wrote:I apologise for the bluntness.

CrimsonKarter21 wrote:...10 speed makes the most sense for every amateur bike racer.

Nothing is wrong with 10spds, I use old 9spd on the TT. The team bikes have the Shimano 9000 group. While a front 52X38 is available a 45T is not.
Neutral spare wheels are both / all 10spd and 11spd and 14T in the SRAM and Shimano cars. Last year the 10spds were used on the 11spd setup for racing where they do not allow blocked gears. For other races you can block the gears out. So a neutral 10spd will work when needed.

I thought there might be a better setup - like a 14-27 alloy 11spd freewheel.

P.S. I'm the parent, not the rider.

Zoro

by Zoro

Update:
I found a Recon 11speed 13-25T solid alloy FW. I have a local place that will grind the 13T for under $20. So I get a 120g 10 useable cassette and also preferred chain angle.

Update II:
They make 15-16 olds ride 52X16 in Europe. I think of it like taking a speed skater and telling them they need to do short track for development.

Update III:
Ground the 12T and 13T off the 9 speed solid cassette and made a 7 speed 100g race cassette. Perfect chain angle in the 52X14. Very light and very fast.

In use:

deltree

by deltree

BBB make some good ratios. Not the lightest cassettes but quite robust.

http://bbbcycling.com/bike-parts/cassettes/BCS-11S

Zoro

by Zoro

deltree wrote:BBB make some good ratios. Not the lightest cassettes but quite robust.

http://bbbcycling.com/bike-parts/cassettes/BCS-11S

Thank you for the link, as I did not know about them. Both Miche and BBB (they say they have) have individual sprockets. On anything but steel freewheels these dig into and can even strip the freewheel (Shimano). Alloy, Ti cassette bodies are quite common (lower cost) these days, so I wish the makers of the junior cassettes would take note and tie these cogs together.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com